Thread: First M/W appt

Default First M/W appt

I got my first m/w appt coming up on 17th Jan.. I will be 13 wks then. What can I expect at my first m/w appt? I would really like DP to come with me (so I dont feel like I am doing this all on my own!) but he had a bit of a cry last year saying that he cant afford any time off work.

So what can I expect - will it just be going over medical history etc or will we get to hear the heartbeat?!

TA

Veronica,
    At your first appt they will check your blood pressure, weigh you and go through your medical history. I can't remember if they listen to the HB then i don't think they did with me.

Shame it's not visiting time on the ward when you go for your appt as i was going to say come up for a visit

Michelle, Thanks for your reply - I was hoping you would reply! So would it be worth for DP to come or shall I not pressure him too much?? He is not a fan of hospital and doctors! LOL He'll be great when I go in to labour hey!

What time is visiting time on the ward? My appt is at 2pm.

I would say it's not really worth DP going with you. To be honest not many of the men do go.
    Mine only ever went to one appt and that is when we was asking about the amnio and he wanted to know stuff.

Visiting is at 3pm. They have your appt late in the day i thought they stopped working at lunch time. If you want PM your mobile number and i will sms to let you know what room i am in.

Veronica, for my first MW appointment they warned me that DH would have to wait outside for at least a part of it. I'm going through a public hospital and they did a really in-depth kind of interview - including bits about domestic violence, which is why they would have kicked DH out. At my first appointment they took my BP and weighed me, but didn't really do any other tests or anything and they didn't put the doppler (or whatever it's called), but I was only 11 weeks at the time. They also took a urine test and booked me in for bloods and the nuchal fold ultrasound.

I think that's all!

DisGirl - thats very interesting that they spoke to you about domestic violence.. did they do any sort of internals? I havent had an internal yet, I dont think my doctor is very keen on doing an internal.

Michelle - lol I hope that they are still working at 2pm then!! I just checked my letter and yep, it says 2pm. I will send you a pm.. would be great to meet you

I'm going in to see my doc today to get referrals for bloods and NF scans. He wants them down on 13wks..

Veronia they won't do a internal at this stage they might do one closer to your due date.
    I'm trying to think of what questions they will ask you but it was so long ago for me and my mind has gone blank.

Yeh with your first appointment they ask you to go in alone most of it.. no partners. Depending on where you go, theyll ask you pretty personally things that maybe your partner doesnt know or about your partner so they say its best youre alone.. things like if youve had any STDs, abuse in the past or currently (physcial, sexual, verbal etc), girly issues etc. They also check your weight and blood pressure, ask how you felt when you found out you were pregnant, how you feel now, what type of support you have around you, if youre going to breastfeed, any medical history with you, your partner, your family or your partners family.. they ask when you last had you pap smear, whether you want to test for down syndrome.. um.. thats all i can really think of. Oh.. i had to do a pee test too, where i think they may test for urinary tract infections etc

No they dont do internals or any ultrasounds.. its really just to fill in forms, give you your booklet and Bounty freebies bag (yay for freebies!) and get yourself checked into the hospital.

Best of luck

Veronica, when we went to our first midwife appointment DH was there with me. Midwife asked lots of questions: They wanted to know whether I was having morning sickness, taking any medications at all, any problems with previous pregnancies, have I been pregnant before, history of things like diabetes and mental illness for me and DH and our families, and whether I've had blood pressure issues or any big surgery before. They also asked me if I have any STD's and wanted to know how we are feeling about the pregnancy and the whole idea of becoming parents and whether our family's have been supportive. We were also asked if the pregnancy was planned and how long it took to become pregnant, but I guess thats part of wanting to know how we are feeling about the pregnancy. They also asked when my last pap smear was and (obviously) wanted to know when my last period was.
    They checked my BP but not my weight (they justed asked me what my weight was at the time I found out I was pregnant), and they didnt check for baby's heartbeat.
    At the end, DH got sent out of the room and the midwife asked me if I had been or am a victim of domestic violence or sexual abuse. I was also given information about ultrasounds and when I should have them if I chose to have them, and also info about the antenatal classes available at the hospital, some booklets on listeria, pelvic floor exercises and those sorts of things. They didnt do any internals - I havent had any internals at all and I'm nearly 31 weeks.
    It took almost 2 hours in total for our first midwife appointment.
    Last edited by Karina; January 5th, 2007 at 05:30 PM.