Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food/drink to avoid

Default Food/drink to avoid

Just curious as to if anyone can tell me specifically which foods and drinks to avoid? And is it OK to drink say 3 drinks (beer) once a week? I am in the TWW and can never be too careful (I've had a VERY faint line on my HPT and feeling a number of symptoms, so Im quietly, and cautiously confident).

Thanks!

Hi Jessica,
    Congratulations on your HPT result. There seem to be a million things you can't eat. I sometimes wonder how on earth I am going to remember them all but from memory and I know I'll miss heaps.... any unpasturised dairy products ie soft cheeses, fetta etc, soft serve ice cream, undercooked eggs, raw or undercooked seafood or meat, (all listeria risks). I believe that Australia is the only country in the world that recomends a very low achohol intake rather than avoiding it altogether but since I'm a Muslim and I never drink anyway I've really never looked into it. Caffiene is reckoned to increase your risk of miscarriage so you may want to cut down on that. I have to admit I still indulge in the odd latte but I'm only human. Also some essential oils and herbs are not recommended but I'm not sure which ones. MSG, retinol A, artificial sweeteners....
    Fish may have mercury in it so only one serve a week.
    Obviously smoking is a no-no but that's true at any time.
    On top of all that there's the kitty litter danger, hot-tubs, x-rays.....
    And... when you've remembered everything that you're supposed to avoid then you have to rember all the things you have to ensure you get enough of... iron, calcium, protien, folic acid, excersise, sex .....
    Sometimes I think that we have to be geniuses just to remember all the dos and don'ts.
    In addition to the real dos and don'ts it seems that everyone is willing to share old wives tales with you.... ie if you eat lentils you will have a hairy baby.
    I geuss I have left many things out but the other ladies should be able to add heaps and maybe direct you to some sites that will be usefull to you.
    I hope you have a great pregnancy and a beutiful healthy baby.

Caffiene decreases your iron absorbtion rate, and also can cause addictive personalities in your child.
    Apparently liquorice and aloe vera (eaten, you can use it on your skin) are bad because they are diuretics, so they can cause miscarriage. Any diuretics, laxatives, things that cause muscle spasms are no-nos as well. Also food from the deli, like olives and sun-dried tomatoees are supposed to be bad because of the risk of cross contamination from the soft cheese, but the jars and packed ones are ok.
    No liver, because of the high amount of vitamin A.
    They say even one alcoholic drink a week can be bad for your baby, but a few teaspoons in a trifle is ok every now and then. Alcohol is ok if it has been cooked at a high temp for at least ten minutes, so in sauces it's ok, but you're better off avoiding them unless you cook it yourself, so you know all the actual alcohol is evaporated, and you are just left with the taste.
    Herbal teas: stay away from raspberry tea, cohash, slippery elm, ginseng and green tea – these may stimulate contractions.
    Avoid pates and ready made salads, including salad bars.
    Don't eat anything raw, except well washed fruit and vegetables.
    There's a whole bunch of herbs and such you can't eat. Marshmallow root, wormwood, deadly nightshade (obviously) pennyroyal, anise, liquorice root. There's more, but I can't think of them offhand.

Don't use rosemary or cinnamon essential oils directly on your skin as they can raise blood pressure.

It's best to contact a professional naturopath before using any essential oils, and taking any herbs or natural remedies, at least consult your doctor before taking any herbal teas or such.

Hope that helps. Now you just have to remember it all LOL

Just a thought on the alcohol side of things that I read somewhere:

Your baby has a mucher smaller body mass than you, so if you are feeling slightly tipsy, your baby has probably already passed out!

Just something to keep in mind. Just think, at least you don't have to go over xmas and new years

On the main BellyBelly site there are a few informative articles on listeria and aromatherapy... have a look in the pregnancy section. They helped me a lot during the beginning of pregnancy to remind me what I should be doing...

Christy

Ohmygod! So many things to remember!!!!

Thanks for all the info, sad, but I am going to not drink anything. I dont drink much anyway, but I do enjoy 1 or 2 beers on the weekend. Never mind, its worth it! I did have 2 beers on Sat night so now I am stressing. What do you think? If I am pg, Im about 1month and a few days.

Did another HPT this morn with same result, pretty faint line, so going to docs tonight to put my mind at rest. Lets hope all the info you have given me I can put into place.

Jessica,
    don't worry. My friend did the same (well, she got actually totally plastered while unknowingly pregnant). She asked her doctor and he said not to worry, if it's still there at such an early stage after binge drinking it's all ok. If you read "Up the Duff" by Caz Kook (sp?) she also had the same thing (4-5 drinks or so) and her OB told her not to worry as well. As long as you stop drinking as soon as you know, it should all be fine.

Snowy

Jessica, I know I may be going against what has already been posted, and not that I don't agree with that, but I didn't know I was PG until after week 5 and I stressed about it because I had drunk at least 1-2 bottles of wine/week in those first few weeks. My midwives told me not to worry too much... fetal alchohol syndrome happens with regular drinking, and I should not stop drinking altogether but cut down to one drink a week then to cut it out if I was concerned... too late I had already cut out alchohol as soon as I found out I was pregnant, but they told me not to worry too much about it. I have since had 4 glasses of wine thoughout the entire PG and everytime I feel guilty so I figure its not worth it. I don't even enjoy wine while pregnant, and I am a member of a wine club I love it so much... oh well.... waiting for another year after breastfeeding finishes, whenever that may be... lol!
    But that is what I have done and decided... it really is up to the individual and all you can do is read all the information and make an informed decision for yourself accordingly....

Christy

Christy, I was the same only with cigerettes. I smoked almost a pack a week for the first three to four weeks, and then I found out, and gave up within three days. Just finished the pack I had (and I was in so much shock and stress that that didn't take long ) and just didn't buy anymore. Went straight cold turkey. And I've since found out that quitting cold turkey is really bad. Oh well. We've made it this far, can't be too bad.

Jessica, I wouldn't worry about what you have done up to now. My mum had seven kids, ate cheeses and fish and drank coffeee all the way through all her PGs. Mind you, food was healthier back then, but you can't change what you have eaten, only what you will eat in the future. As long as you haven't eaten anything that gave you food poisoning, or several tons of fish and liver in these last few weeks, you (and your baby) should be fine.

This may be a silly question, but I was wondering...

Okay, so I know soft-serve ice cream is bad because of the listeria risk, but how about drinks out of those soft drink machines like they have at Maccas and Subways and the like? :-k I'd never thought about it until I was sipping on a lemonade the other day.

Sorry to butt in on your thread Jessica!

I hope not :-s ! I think it has to do with the listeria again and bacteria in the cream or dairy part of it...the soft drink machines are usually pretty free of bacteria that would be growing in the drinks themselves... I hope!

Christy

Yeah I would have to agree with Christy on this one I did a pretty broad google search and I couldn't come up with anything for soda machines of any kind. So I would say you are pretty safe on that one!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Phew!! That's a relief LOL. Thanks guys :-)

soft drinks are far too sugary for any bacteria to survive!!

http://www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/681_1170.asp

From March of Dimes (non-for profit organization in the US for saving children/preventing birth defects). That should answer all questions re. pregnancy and alcohol. It also says that even as little as one drink a week has been shown to cause behavioural problems and lower intelligence in children.

I'm sorry - I feel very passionately about not drinking at all during your pregnancy (at least after you know you are pregnant).

What about tap water?

I am a big soft drink drinker, obviously want to cut that out now and replace with water, but I dont want to buy bottle water all the time!

Is tap water (in melbourne) OK to drink or should i invest in one of those filter jugs from kmart??

No more beer for me! And I am VERY proud to say I quit smoking 1 week before we conceived - isnt that timely!!

p.s. I cant stop noticing these cramps I am having - if anyone has more detail for me, most appreciated. They are pretty much like period pains but now more... direct? I wish I could explain them better. The are not strong, easily bearable and not comparable to period pain I have had before - should i expect them to slowly disappear over time?

I'm a bit paranoid about tap water and ice so when I'm feeling too cheap for bottled water I just boil a full kettle in the morning and drink from that through the day. I also make all my ice cubes from boiled water. They come out all sparkly that way. Ice cubes from unboiled/unfiltered water always have bubbles in them so you can spot them easily. I find plain water can get a bit boring so I drink heaps of herbal and green tea. Green tea has heaps of antioxidants in it so its quite wholesome. As far as the cramps go I had lots but they seem to have eased off a bit now.(12 wks) There is a thread about them somewhere. It seems that the price I have paid for minimal morning sickness has been lots of other pregnancy symptoms. So maybe if it isn't one thing its another.
    Does anyone know how much caffiene hot chocolate has in it.

Well done on quitting smoking Jess, that's a big achievement And yes very timely!

I didn't know that soft drink was a problem during pregnancy or tap water for that matter... I think if you are worried you could talk to your doctor or filter / boil your water before you drink it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast