Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Food/drink to avoid

Melinda Guest

As far as I knew, ordinary tap water is just fine! I've been drinking it every day! I can also tell you that I've had soft drink too! You don't have to cut out soft drink if you have it but obviously drinking water is a lot better as it doesn't have the sugar content (luckily I like water and drink quite a bit of it anyway). You just need to be sensible about your diet and avoid the foods that have already been mentioned in earlier posts.

I know that some herbal teas should be avoided - can't remember what ones specificially, but I have read that there are some that you shouldn't have whilst PG. I'm sure I've seen a post about them somewhere on the forums but am not sure where......

We have one of those Brita Filters and I must say, the water tastes a lot better if you filter it through them.

re. cramps - I have read somewhere, that it is the uterus stretching that you can feel, but am no medical expert, so not sure if that's true.

There is a guide about which herbs should be avoided during pregnancy at http://www.gardenguides.com/herbs/preg.htm. I usually stick to a fairly weak brew of the teas that I do drink even though they are considered safe. I have read conflicting reports about Ginger and Rasberry Leaf so I generally avoid them except for a small glass of ginger beer if I am feeling a little queasy which seems to chase it away totally.
    The tap water is probably fine to drink but its a bit hard for me to break the habit of a lifetime. And it only takes a couple of minutes for the kettle to boil.

Seriously...just wanted to say...don't stress so much! Often that can be more damaging for bubs than worrying about every little thing that can go in and out of our body. Sure I totally understand as I was exactly the same as a first time mum...but I think I have chilled out HEAPS since then and probably won't be as concerned with my next pregnancy.

Smoking & Drinking of course we know thats not good for bubs, however Dr's do say the "Occasional" drink will not harm the baby...when it comes down to it its your personal choice, and I don't think you are awful if you do have the occasional drink.

As for food, I was listeria mad when I was pregnant so I cut everything out that could possibly be a risk. My reason for that is because a friend of a friend lost a baby to listeria and it freaked me out. I drank milo because I was too scared of drinking tea (won't be like that next time LOL). I didn't have soft drink because it gave me bad acid reflux, not because of its sugar content. I didn't get my hair dyed because I was told that the dye crossed the placenta...later found out when Paris was 12 mths old that according to most of australias leading parenting mags (still got them after birth LOL) the hair dye thing has not been scientifically proven.

Honestly I was a nervous wreck about everything and I honestly think that was more dangerous for my bubs than half the stuff I was actually worried about. Of course there are some serious risks, but regarding the tap water...I think the government would make sure there were warnings if it were dangerous for bubs. But I do agree with snowgirl yes filtered water does taste better LOL! We have a britta jug too

And remember whilst it doesn't keep everything out, I still think the placenta does a pretty good job!

I hope you guys understand where I am coming from, I am not saying that its right or wrong to do any of these things, ultimately its your personal choice. But try and remember that your Dr is the best one to ask about these things, the medical profession wouldn't let us harm our bubs...so whilst there is alot of "information" around don't forget to ask your Dr before you make your final decision

But whatever you decide....DON'T STRESS!

*hugs*
    Cailin

I agree with Cailin... in my first trimester I did nothing, I only ate unprocessed foods, no caffine at all, no soft drinks etc... I wouldn't eat out at friends houses because of all the restrictions I had on what I would eat....Then I went to my first midwives appointment, and they thought I was crazy... I guess I was a LOT PG paranoid, but they said have a healthy fear of soft cheeses, ham, processed meats, cold meats, etc. Yes, many natural pregnancy books put all sorts of diseases such as autism and ADHD down to consumption of food while in the womb, most of it is unsubstantiated... so there really isn't any proof... And remember, heroine addicts give birth to healthy babies all the time, (with an addiction of course, but healthy all the same).
    So, that night DH gave me a coffee and a glass of wine (neither of them I could bring myself to drink...LOL!) But now I have a few cups of coffee a week, I drink less soft drink than I did before primarily for healthy reasons though to have less sugar intakes its just better for you anyway. And I try to eat a balanced diet & take my pregnancy vitamens regularly. I will eat ham if I cook it for 2 minutes, etc... Just being sensible.

The more stress you have in pregnancy, the more stress the baby has.

Christy

I personally don't see a problem with having the occasional drink. Of course in pregnancy you have to be more vigilant, but within reason. My doctor told me there is nothing wrong with having an occasional drink (just one of course) and still drinking tea and coffee once or twice a day if you want to. While I am certainly not advocating drinking during pregnancy, I have to wonder how they can possibly prove that one drink during pregnancy can cause your child to have ADHD later in life. I mean, how can they directly link alcohol as a cause? There are so many different factors that can lead to ADHD. Anyway, it up to us as individuals to decide what to eat or drink during pregnancy and to do what we feel is right for ourselves and our babies.

HAM???
    I thought ham was safe to eat!
    :smt119
    I've been having ham & cheese toasts all the time cause I thought it was safe!

I think it's more the storage of the ham that is a risk, as with any deli food there is a small risk of salmonella or the like. I still eat it but I don't let it sit in the fridge too long - if it is not going to be eaten within a couple of days I freeze it. Heating it up before eating it will kill any potential nasties, but I have never done this! Again it's a personal choice, but I think in general it is safe (of course I am not an expert so don't quote me on that). If you buy it in vacuum sealed packs or a high turnover supermarket it should be ok.

yes, I buy it in those sealed packs from the supermarket. ... gosh, I hope that's okay... it's so confusing with all the contradicting advice we get...

my SIL's doctor said to her not to worry about soft cheeses! He said "French women eat cheese all the time and they still have healthy babies!" She also eats sushi quite happily (she lives in Japan) and said to me that Japanese women all eat sushi because it's so healthy!

all very confusing....

Maybe the problem with the sushi is the raw fish so if you eat vegetarian ones or california rolls etc. its probably still healthy. How do they make ham? I've always wondered why its that pink colour. Is it cooked or raw?

ham is cooked (and some are smoked as well for flavour) as far as I'm aware of it. definitely not raw (that's bacon or parma ham, which is just smoked and salted)

and yes, she does eat the raw fish - tuna, salmon, you name it! i was quite surprised.

If you are concerned about what you are eating do look at the listeria article on the main page http://www.bellybelly.biz/php/info/listeria.php

Like I said before though, the stress could do more harm in the long term than eating some things....

Christy

I think the turnover rate and the freshness/ storage/ preparation of sushi in Japan would be a lot safer than here. Here it kinda falls under the take away/junk food category even if it is healthy.

I've been eating prosciutto (parma ham) all the way through!
    I found soft drink actually helps me with indigestion, so I've been drinking about 4 litres a fortnight. I'm so hanging out for a coffee though. My iron levels are low, so I can't really afford to be taking in any extra caffiene. That's one of the first things I'm having though. Only a week now, I guess I can wait that long, I've lasted so far.

I've been eating Sushi all the time I've been pregnant. Not the raw varieties, I've never eaten them . I think that its fairly easy to spot the stuff that isn't fresh. It sort of looks dry and skanky. I'm a bit of a Sushi snob so I usually go to places that make it fresh and steer clear of Sushi Train and so on. It can be hard finding food that's halal in the city and at uni and if I give up Sushi that leaves kebabs,curry and rabbit food. I'll just cross my fingers and try not to stress.

kelandroo Guest

Susan

I am referring to a post of a few days back about herbal teas?

I have been drinking rasperry tea, I thought it was safe, and that Raspberry Leaf tea is not (but I have read it is ok in third trimester as will stimulate uterus eg getting it ready for birth or something like that.)

I am now drinking blackcurrant and lemon tea with no caffine. Is it OK?

Sorry, Kel.

I found some really informative web sites back when I was 6 weeks, but couldn't remeber which herbal teas were safe, so I just didn't drink any. And of course, do you think I can find those websites now? I wasn't much of a tea drinker anyway. Maybe someone else would know. Anyone?

Blackcurrant and Lemon should be ok, but if you are concerned, ask a naturopath or your doctor.

I've been drinking milo for a hot drink, because two glasses a day fills the daily requirement for iron, calcium, and a couple of other things. Not enough on it's on when you're pregnant, but it helps.

I was the same with milo, but I also think raspberry leaf tea is quite good. Do you know something funny though, I was terrified when I read on the tin that it had vitamin A in in milo I thought I had endangered my baby - I spoke to my Dr she told me stop freaking out as it was fine the amount of Vitamin A that is considered harmful was way higher than in milo LOL! So there ya go that just goes to show how excessive I was LOL!

You can get raspberry leaf tablets if you don't like the taste of the tea though, although I used to mix it with a raspberry tea and it masked the taste

*hugs*
    Cailin

LOL

I've heard so much about raspberry leaf tea though, I don't know which way is up. So it's good, some say it's very bad, some say drink it from the start, some say it's only safe in the thrid trimester. Ah, the wonders of the internet. Ask a simple question, and get three hundred different answers. What is it that it actually does that is good for you anyway? I remember when I first started reading stuff, thinking "hey, this stuff sounds good" and being disappointed when the very next site said don't touch it. Does it just have the same softening effect as sperm, or does it do something else, or something different entirely?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast