Thread: Gender determination

Red face Gender determination

Hi,

just a quick one - when do they normally tell you the sex of the baby (if youare finding out) I have my firts scan (12 weeks) in 11 days and was wondering if we would find out then or ???????????????????????????????????????

very few sonographers will be able to tell the sex of your baby at your first trimester scan. We were lucky enough to be given a 90% chance of it being a particular scan and we had a very experienced sonographer.

generally speaking, you will need to wait until your next scan at 18-20 weeks.

DAMN ......wait wait wait its all i seem to do these days hehehehehehe

As Danni said - you usually only find out at the 18-20 week scan, where a more precise picture can be seen, and bits or no bits can be more recognisable .

I'm like Danni and was given a pretty confident answer that bubs is a girl at my 12 week. But now i'm wishing i didn't ask cause i know i will be disappointed and hugely shocked if she turns out to be a he. I waited til 18 weeks with my DD and was able to see clear evidence of her gender so i didn't have the "what if" worry like i do now. Yep - the wait is a pain but so is this uncertainty.

At 17w my OB, who has decades of experience with u/s and gender determination, said he thought this bub was a girl. Was a bit hard to tell though as bub had ankles crossed and was asleep. Next 3 u/s (@ 19 & 20w) proved that bub is most definitely a boy LOL!

I had a friend who got told at 12 weeks it was a girl then at 20 weeks a boy then finally day she went into labour they finally picked a boys name and it was a girl...

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    At 17w my OB, who has decades of experience with u/s and gender determination, said he thought this bub was a girl. Was a bit hard to tell though as bub had ankles crossed and was asleep. Next 3 u/s (@ 19 & 20w) proved that bub is most definitely a boy LOL!
    Similar thing happened to me - except I was 14 weeks. OB said he thought it was a girl but at the 19 week scan it was pretty clear he was a boy.
    I wouldn't even ask them to tell you, as someone else already said when you're told that early you will still be wondering what if they're wrong - and they very well could be.

I asked at my 12 week scan, and i was told i was having a girl.
    Then at my 18 week scan i asked and i was told i was having a boy.
    Lucky im having another scan at 34 weeks so i can definately find out if it is a boy or girl.
    But normally i would wait till the 18-20 week scan.

Surprises are best!!!!!

Firstbump Guest

At our 18 week u/s we were told they were 80% sure it was a girl. We decided we wanted confirmation and had a 3d ultrasound done at around 24 weeks and its certainly a boy....

Gees there seems to be a few errors made hey...

Eveyone I know who has found out, have been told at the 18 - 20 week scan. Best to wait until you are closer to 20 weeks as you can, to get the best reading and go to a place that has a good rep with lot's of experience if you can.

I go to Monash IVF, just because they deal with major issues all the time and can pick up on things a lot of other places couldn't. I don't personally have any issues, just like to go to a good place.

They wouldn't tell me with Patrick's 13 week scan, but did tell us at the 19 week scan that he was a boy, and they got that right.

I will find out this time around, but won't be telling anyone, to make it more of a surprise for them (& Patrick). I just need to know if I need to buy anything pink, as I have all the blue stuff. I like to be organised, don't like surprises, it would kill me to wait until the delivery day to know the sex! But that's just me!