Thread: How did you cope with 2 littlies and a pregnancy?

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Default How did you cope with 2 littlies and a pregnancy?

OK - I have to admit I am having quite a patch of self doubt about how I am going to cope with a 2 and a half year old and a 7 month old, when I am already starting to feel queasy, dizzy and exhausted!

I don't even know my due date yet, and so that is doing my head in as well! I have a dating scan on the 22nd of november, but my son has surgery prior to that and that seems forever away!

How did all of you wonder mums cope with your feelings of being unable to cope?

yep.i am feeling like this too.i have 2 older boys and a 1 y.o,i am 28 weeks along.i just made sure i slept when i could,usually as soon as i got my baby to bed of an evening.my prob is that i somtimes dont think i will manage at all with another baby.
    nikki

pholmes Guest

Hi, I have 9 year old, 2 year old and 1 year old sons and have just found out I am pregnant. I am trying to think of the positives about having them so close together, they'll go to school close together and hopefully be good friends. I dont really know how I'll cope, but I am sure I will. I dont think it will be easy and I am sure my house will look like a bombs hit it permanently. I am sure you'll be fine guys, its amazing what we can do when we have to.

Oh my gosh Relle I am in exactly the same situation. I am due on 5 July 2007 and have a 6 month old son and a son who turned two in August and I am wondering how on earth I am going to cope!

I keep telling myself that there are a lot of people in similar situations or who have more than three children and they survive, but it still doesnt stop it from being very very daunting.

I have had a few people tell me that the first three months are really crazy, but then things will settle down. I hope they are right.

My plan is to try and be ultra organised - although ithat plan seems to go out the window at a moments notice!

Hopefully we can be a support to each other!
    Jem

Thanks so much for you words girls! Sometimes it even helps to know you a not alone iykwim!

Wow Jem, a pity we are in different states or we could have had our own playgroup with all of our kids! lol

I am a control freak, and I think that is what is also stressing me out, cause I just know now that there is nothing controlled about kids - let alone 3 of them!

Thanks again girls!

Thanks Emma! Gabby is gorgeous, hope all is going well!

Fire Fly Guest

Oh Relle, i think its hard atm because you feel so *blah*. I know exactly where your coming from. DD wants to kick ball all the time and im like 'oh darl just hang on a bit'. Im so tired of late and because im carrying around little budha im get puffed quicker. Sometimes i wish we lived in suburbia again. Everything is a long walk here.

Im glad though that DD will be 4 and DS will be 18mnths. Im hopeing by that time he gets over his lazyiness and is walking. We will cope, only because we have to. Going to see fionajills bub yesterday made me realise how quickly they grow. Its like gee ds was that little 10months ago, god!!!. Doesnt help me that im still fully b/fng him to. Thats pretty draining but thats life i guess.

Awwww Relle, you will be fine, I promise you! As you know from the "conversations" we have had in the past, I was crapping myself over my ability to cope with three littlies. When I first got pg with Lexie, I went through hell, worrying over my ability to cope with Liv and Charlie and pregnancy......

But you know what, you DO cope. Your body is accoustomed to being pg, epecially as it has "been there done that" fairly recently....I am convinced it just adapts.

I honestly believe that our feelings of not being able to cope are far far worse than reality, especially if you have a tendancy to be a bit of a perfectionist/control freak (like me!) about the kids, the house and life in general. We make that rod for our own backs.....

Here are my tips, both in pregnancy and beyond.....

- Try and arrange at least some child free time for yourself that is regular and that you can just do whatever....rest, read, chill, shop alone, swim.......whatever it is that takes your fancy. (My SIL and I did child swaps....alternate fridays......one friday I had her kids and mine, the next week, she took Liv and Charlie, for a whole day.9am till 5pm.) NOw Charlie and Liv go to childcare once a week on a Friday (as my SIL is v.heavily pg herself!)
    - When the kids nap, make sure you rest too, even if it just to watch junk on TV or read a trashy mag with your feet up for 40 mins.......this aids you so much mentally and pysically....I know it is tempting to get one with chores without toddlers around your feet, but rest is more imprtant than housework!
    - In Liven.....I am not doing a sell job, but honestly, I think that anyone that doesn't take it is mad, LOL.......it is fantastic stuff for the mental and the physical......I do not think I would have survived without it!

I found that when I was big and huge and pregnant that I could sit down on the floor with loads of blocks and books and toys with Liv and Charlie and sit in the middle of the room and entertain them for a good hour at least without having to get back up......they loved it, and if they asked for drinks or whatever I would just say "Oooo no, Mummu is sitting now, she is too heavy to get back up for a while".......and point them to where I had left the drinks/snacks on a low shelf so they could help themselves.........LOL!

Keep telling yourself that the thought of it is worse than reality!

Me, Olivia and Charlie and Lexie are having a ball.....it is HEAPS easier than I thought it would be, promise!
    Last edited by Lucy; November 17th, 2006 at 04:08 PM.

Thanks Lucy & Kerrie!

Have not been able to catch up with either of you much lately!!!! Good to see/chat to you! LOL

Kerrie- I don't know how you are doing it hun - I would be absolutely exhausted if I was still breastfeeding as well!

Lucy - you truly are a supermum hun! I will definately be taking all of your advice onboard and giving it a whirl! I am trying to tell myself that I just need to be positive about this pregnancy from the start and am making a pact with myself to make sure that I am positive! LOL

We have had Campbell in hospital with his 2nd lot of surgery this week, and I have found that to be really really draining. I think I expected him to bounce back pretty quickly like last time, but he had more involved surgery this time and is clearly in alot more pain. I have had absolute monster headaches all of this week and am getting quite dizzy and it is unsettling me as well. The sleepless nights are really taking a toll as well. Neither of them successfully sleep through the night - and I must admit that I am now worried about having to deal with a hungry crying baby as well is freakin me out!

Thanks for letting me have a whinge girls, it makes me feel like I am not alone completely.