Thread: How many calories we need to eat??

Default How many calories we need to eat??

Hi,
    Just wanting to know if anybody knows how many calories a day we are supposed to be eating in the 1st trimester?
    Don't want to go overboard and eat like there is no tomorrow! It's taken me 5 months to lose the 12kgs that i gained in my previous pregnancy. It was a lot of pain to shed those kilos.

I don't know what the actual calorie intake for a pg woman should be, but you certainly don't eat for two - I did read once that all you would need to have 'extra' would be one sandwich - so it isn't that much at all. You don't really need to be that pedantic about it, but just make sure you eat as healthy as you can and you will be fine.

My pre-pregnancy BMI was about 23-24 so I was just told by my GP to eat normally. If you're over or under weight they do recommend something different. There's not really one prescribed calorie intake so its probably best to see the GP/midwife/Ob and ask them. Just remember that pregnancy isn't the time to eat too little, especially first trimester when all the important stuff is happening in there. To be honest though, I took my vitamins and just ate whenever and whatever and as much as I could in first trimester as I had such bad morning sickness that actually being hungry and wanting to eat something was so rare! I just toned it down and made sure I ate properly and healthy once I got past the morning sickness stage Have only gained 12kg on my pre-pregnancy weight so far so I reckon I've done something right.

As Sherie said, its not much of an addition......a sandwich at best!

My old OB did give me a "formula" ie your pre-pregnancy weight x 110 = kjs required to maintain your weight, then add 1250kj.

HOWEVER, he also made the point that rather than stressing about it, concentrate on eating a well balanced diet full of fresh fruit and veggies.........

Providing that you are eating healthy there is no need to change your diet

Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to know calories as i was and still am on Lite n easy (i was trying to lose weight). I want to still stick with the program for the sake of convenience and healthy eating. I am currently on the 1200 cal menu, but they also have 1500 and 1800 programs. Which calorie intake would suit?

heres a sight that can help with how much calories are in our food -- CalorieKing.com.au - Australian Online Diet and weight loss club. Lose weight for good!

when pregnant i was told by my dietician that i would need to increase my calorie intake by around 250 calories a day... equivilent (sp?) to 3 apples or 1 glass of fruit juice etc.

The amount of calories you need will also depend on how active you are. Do you exercise? How much how often? Do you play sport? What sort of job do you do? All these things would need to be taken into consideration. Also personally I would not recommend anyone to go on a diet when pregnant without getting professional advice that is personalised for that person.

I used to workout 3-4 times a week to lose the weight, but when i found out that i was pregnant - i barely have the energy to do much. I have an office job so i sit all day but utilise my lunch break by going outside and walking for 30mins.
    It's not much a diet for me anymore as i know not to diet when pregnant but more of a convenience of having a packed breakfast and lunch when i go to work and don't have to prepare anything.

1200 cal should be ok for you. Perhaps add a little extra salad of some fruit.

StephV Guest

I read that it was an extra 500 calories a day....I hope so as my sweet tooth as kicked in and I'm hitting that easy