Thread: Looking for a cure for constipation

Slippy Guest

Default Looking for a cure for constipation

Help! I’m in my first trimester and am severely backed up!
    Does anyone have a sure fire way to cure constipation? I eat all the right foods, have done everything they say to do in the books, exercise, dried fruit, whole grains etc etc but still no budging! ](*,)

angel_eyes Guest

A high fibre cereal in the mornings.

Not too much cheese.

Drink heaps of water!! Maybe try some prunes or licorice?

I had the exact same problem as you in the first trimester. I was about to try Metamucil but because of m/s I was unable to stomach the drink. I ended up having a sprinkle of psyllum husks (same as what is in metamucil) on my high fibre cereal in the morning. I found this did the trick for me. Just be careful when you start using it to only start with a small amount and then gradually work up to a tablespoon. and like the others said make sure you drink plenty of water.

froofy Guest

Lots of water, raw foods (has more moisture) and exercise. It works!

Hi Slippy,

I have two words for you: PRUNE JUICE.

I was constipated right from the start. At 28 weeks I also had to start taking iron tablets and I really didn't want to because I know how constipation-making they are, but then I discovered prune juice and it has been SMOOTH SAILING ever since!

It is quite expensive about $6.50 a bottle but sooo worth every penny. I have 2 glasses per day - one with b'fast and one at night, and go through 2-3 1L bottles per week.

Good luck

Pearl

Flaxseed oil. One tablespoon every morn. Not only GREAT for keeping regular but the health benefits are amazing, and it is good for growth of baby's brain and nervous system. I swear by it and have it every day, pregnant or not!! xo

Nope tried it all, apart from flaxseed oil...

And the only thing thats worked for me is hitting the 13 wk mark LOL! I seem to be more regular now. I def think more water is the key, I did try fybrogel and it seemed to block me up more. But now everythings back to normal.

*hugs*
    Cailin

With me the only thing that worked was a tablespoon of psyllium husk stirred into a glass of oj each night. It did it's job overnight and I could go in the morning!! \/

By the way - if you have metamucil or psylliuam husk you need to drink even more water than usual as otherwise it can have the opposite effect - I was told to have 10 glasses a day!!

hmm after reading this, might have to get into the prunes... dont want no hemmies!!!

As soon as I found out I was pregnant i started eating a bowl of All Bran every morning, only about 3/4 of a cup, that kept me regular. On the weekend I decided I had had enough of All Bran and bought some Metamucil instead used that for two days, no poos. Went back to All Bran and I'm regular again \/ (I'm really scared of haemarroids 8-[ )

It may not work for you, but its certainly done the trick for me , goodluck

psyllium husks for me, and like someone else mentioned - you also have to be super diligent drinking water or it does have the opposite effect,

good luck!!

Linda

Slippy Guest

So far I’ve tried:
    Psyllium (my latest test, still no luck)
    All Bran (usually works a treat, was very disappointed with the results)
    Wholegrain breads
    Prunes and dried pairs (all it gave me was tremendous gas!)
    Coloxyl stool softening tablets (waste of money)
    Gallons of water
    Prune Juice
    Exercise
    I’m off to the healthfood shop for some flaxseed oil!
    Thanks for your suggestions