Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 12w Appointment...

Default My 12w Appointment...

OMG guys, I can't believe there are so many of you waiting for my update!! Bad news though - no scan today

It was all very boring really. They asked medical history & all that rubbish, weighed me, did my height, blood pressure & more bloods cos they didn't get my blood type last time. Stupid guy taking my blood was very rough, so wasn't real happy about that either :mad:

I had to fill out this questionnaire about how I have been feeling in the last week too. She said that it shows the potential risk of you developing PND & if you get a certain score you are sent off for counselling to catch it early. I was borderline, so not sure if that means they will keep an extra eye on me or something...

I found this really odd though - the midwife said that there was no point trying to hear the heartbeat cos it's still too early.... Now I know alot of you guys have heard heartbeats way earlier than 12w so I just don't understand. She says I have to wait til at least 14w.

She asked about the NT test & said I was cutting it pretty fine to be able to get it done before 13w, nevermind that I asked about it at least 2 weeks ago & I was told I had to sort it out at this appointment today... So anyway, they couldn't fit me in & it's not such a huge thing seeing as I am fairly low risk anyway.

I told the midwife I was worried cos I don't have any symptoms & all she said was don't complain, you're one of the lucky ones. Thanks alot, that really helped!

Anyway after all that, I have to go back to the hospital in 2 weeks to get checked out by the actual Dr just to make sure there will be no complications & confrim whether I can keep doing shared care. They will check the heartbeat at that appointment, then I get the u/s at 16w. I don't know if I can wait that long :-s

Phew, I started to worry about why you were doing a seperate thread and am very pleased to see you are ok. Cant the heartbeat only be detected by ultrasound and then by doppler a bit later and then later even via normal stethoscope? Not 100 percent sre but interested in seeing what people have to say on that. Anyway Sarah I am sorry you didnt get an Ultrasound and that when they took blood they werent exactly gentle from what it sounds.

Hugs

Kayla

Well That really sux!! So you don't get you n/t scan? But you wanted one! Are you annoyed? Oh well. only FOUR weeks till your scan!! I'll have to wait till I'm 18 weeks for mine....only SEVEN more weeks!!

Tanya

Debbie Lee Guest

Awww Sarah, sorry it was such a boring experience! They just don't get it do they? Just cos they go through all of this every day, when it is your first time, you do have questions and expectations and fears and excitement etc. etc.
    What a bloody insensitive thing to say about how you shouldn't complain about not having any symptoms. Geez! You have every right to feel the way you do and she shouldn't devalue your feelings like that!
    Would have been nice for you to hear the heartbeat for reassurance. Honestly, where is the bedside manner??

Urgh Sarah that really sucks. Can you goto another hospital they sound like right pains in the butt.

If you want an early u/sound can you have one done at a private clinic and just pay for it ??

I'd be very mad if they had done that to me and i have never heard of the questionaiire thing about PND before either.

Love :smt049

<Insert expletives here>

*Has a tantrum*

I want to knoooooooooooow!!!!! NOT FAIR!

Well I guess I am going to have to wait ANOTHER 4 weeks!

I can't believe they didn't listen to the heartbeat, that is sooooooo weird imo.

Well goodluck And I can't wait maybe we'll know in two weeks when they find 3 heartbeats Yours and two others

*hugs*
    Cailin

Sarah, so sorry to hear you didn`t get your u/s. Sounds like you had a pretty awful experience, it would not have hurt her to try and find a heartbeat - obviously too difficult for her to do or perhaps she was late for morning tea, sorry but I know how anxious you would have been and some kind words don`t go astray!!!!!!

Deeanne

Oh yeah just read Kathryn's post and DITTO! I agree totally!

*hugs*
    Cailin

I'm very cranky about the whole thing. I don't see, like Kayla said, why she couldn't just try to find a heartbeat - but then again if she couldn't find it I would have totally freaked out!

I knew you'd be annoyed too Cai, I think you're as excited as I was!! I read about three heartbeats & thought oh no she can't be wishing triplets on me, glad you clarified that one

Yeah there is another hospital that I could go to Kathryn, but the two are linked with apprently the same Drs and midwives rotating between the two so I would assume it would be the same at either hospital.

I think I'll try to hold out at least for the 2 weeks to hear the heartbeat. Everyone keeps telling me I'm lucky for having no symptoms so I am going to try & convince myself of that. As much as everyone says it's a bad thing to do, I just wish I was a little bit sick, just for the reassurance IYKWIM.

Did you tell her that you thought you were carrying rather big? Did she feel you fundus? Was it high?
    Sorry Sarah... I spose we are now crowding you!!
    Tanya

Nope, didn't touch me other than to take my blood pressure.

Right that's it... where does she live? What's her phone number? LOL

Tanya

Urh Sarah, bugger about the boring appointment... :smt091 That is so strange that they couldn't have given you an u/s there and thern as they would have the facilities to do one, on hand. BIG :hugs: matey.

That is crap that they couldn't hear the heart beat as they would've been able to if they had given you the u/s. I rememver when they did my 1st one with Nicholas they looked at the heart using different colours on the screen and looked at the valves of the heart.

How insensitive he woman was, speaking the way she did to you. Like Kathryn, I have never heard of that questionaire either.

I will be hanging out for another 2 weeks to see how you go.

Kazz & co \/
    Nicholas 26/10/02

Awsww sweetie, big hugs for you, and Aaron.

You know I went through the same thing, it not feeling real for so long, and when I was about 16 weeks I saw my GP and asked her to use the doppler so I could hear the heartbeat for some reassurance and she couldnt find it, so like you said, I dont know which is worse. But atleast she tried. As you know all is just fine, so maybe the midwife was unsure of checking for the heartbeat as she was worried if it would only make you stressed if she couldnt find it?

Jess

Sarah... sorry you had such a crappy appt. You'd think they'd at least try to ease your mind a bit, considering you even told her you were a bit worried. *smacks* to the norty midwife!

If you decide you can't wait that long, maybe trying for a private u/s might be a good idea?

Anyway.. hope you have a better time of it for your next appt

If I might intrude... I'll join in Cailin's tanty... cos I want to know too!!! I was hoping you'd get to see bub(s) before saturday! I'm waiting for you to move over to 2nd tri with me.... I'm too scared to go on my own

aww bummer sarah,
    pitty they didnt give u an u/s i asw joshuas heart beat which was a flash on the screen at 7 and a half weeks, i read just the other day in a book that the heart beat can be heard using a doppler thingo from 9 weeks onwards, i always heard joshuas from 13 weeks onwards she was always checking it and feeling my belly to check things...

4 weeks im hopinh they'll give me a scan at 12 weeks which is another 7 weeks away darn it! lol
    though im not as worried as my bb's are still so very sore im even having to wear a sports bra to bed for extra comfort

Lesley

Too scared, I thought you'd be doing the dance of joy Don't worry I'll be with you on Saturday Can you believe that we are already on the way to 2nd Tri, seems like yesterday that we had our big tanty chat!! BTW no probs with joining in Cai's tanty!

Thanks Jess, I know you have been exacty where I am which is a bit of a comfort

Just had another thought - was anyone else told not to have their DH at the first booking in appointment at the hospital? As the midwife was going through the questions there was a thing on her computer about domestic violence & she marked it as "Unable to ask". Aaron commented & she said he wasn't even supposed to be there - it says so in the letter we got confirming the appointment. Well nevermind that we never got the letter!! He offered to go away while she asked any questions she needed to, but she said not to bother.

She sounds like a right cow! It's Aaron's baby too...he should be totally involved from the beginning. If there are things they need to ask you privately, they can ask him to leave for a while. Maybe she needs another good smack!!!

I am doing the dance of joy..really! But it's a pretty huge step for us, having never been far enough through a pg to think about 2nd tri before. I need you to hold my hand It does only seem like a little while ago that we were chucking tantys... maybe we should let the girls still TTC in on the secret

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast