Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NT u/s Gave High Risk

cheryl, I posted in the older womens thread as well, the neck meausrement is not good or bad, up to 3 is consider normal, there are a few sites out there with lots of good info. women have had far worse measurements and gone on to have healthy babes, is this your combined results? I have everything crossed for you that all will be okay, sometimes there ar eother reasons for the higher measurement, reasons that can be treated once the baby is born eg:heart, have a read and try and ease your mind, good luck for Wednesday.

Cheryl OMG my heart just sank when I saw this thread! I hate knowing what a hard time you've had throughout the past 12 weeks, I was praying your scan would show you all was ok & no need to worry anymore!

Please don't give up hope, I've heard many stories about older woman getting the high risk on the NT scan & go on to have a H&H bubs.

I'll keep you in my prayers, I truely hope all your fears are cleared after your test on Wed, I'll be thinking of you hun.

Good luck & huge hugs!

A Friend of mine went through a similar situation only last week and was originally high risk - had the CVS done last Thursday and was given the amazing news on Friday that all is fine with the baby - have faith and be kind to yourself - this is totally out of your control - all you can do is pray and think good thoughts - I know easier said than done but give it a try OK

PS - Make sure they fast track your results too - they can do this I think you just need to ask

Thankyou all for your such amazing support and for your kind hearts. I am finding this really hard, much harder than what I thought I would. I am trying hard to be positive and to think that I will be one of the 27, not the one of one. This outcome has been going over and over in my head, and the thought that I could end up losing my baby just cant escape my mind. I so want to be strong for this baby, yet I am failing again.
    The hospital are making arrangements for the results to be done quickly due to the time frame we have due to my previous c/s's as if I wait any longer then it would be too late to do anything under the circumstances. The possibility of m/cing a healthy baby is also there and playing havoc with my mind and emotions. How can I get thru this? I feel like I cant cope anymore. My eyes feel like they are burning and my head and heart are aching.
    Thanks again everyone, as soon as I have a result, which I am praying will be a positively healthy baby result I will let you all know. Hugs
    Last edited by csab; April 15th, 2008 at 08:33 AM.

Honey I am soooo sorry you are going through this. You know in your heart what is the right thing to do

oh honey , i and praying for you and your family .... huge comforting hugs for you :hugs:

oh cheryl, big hugs honey, i didnt see this thread earlier.

i dont know if this will make you eel better, but odds of 27/1 are pretty good! bookies would go mad over those odds

I have a friend of a friend who had very similar results, even higher - i think she was told one in ten. but she decided not to go through with the furhter tests, believing that whatever was meant to be would be.

Baby turned out absolutely beautiful, perfectly fine and healthy.

Thinking of you, keep strong xxx

Hi Cheryl,

Sending you positive vibes at this terribly difficult and anxious time. A lady in another thread (she's 41) had a nuchal measurement of 4.1mm - I think she was 1/37 risk.... she had amnio and all was fine - they thought her high measurement may be related to slow growth of her bub - but they were wrong - her bub is measuring ahead for dates. So no answers there, but a relief to know all was fine.

I don't want to scare you - but if you need any information re. cvs - I had one last August - when my nuchal measurement was 2.3mm which gave me a 1:36 chance for DS, then with combined bloods (which were bad) I ended up with a 1:10 risk - so went straight to CVS. It was such a horrible week, not knowing if the bub was alright or not. I felt ill all the time, sick with worry........ sadly it turned out my bub did have DS. I'm now pregnant again, and my nuchal was 1.3mm - a 1:1500 risk - I'm 39. So all is looking fine this time around. The nuchal measurement can be really misleading I think - you can have a high measurement and all is fine, or you can have a lower measurement and all is not fine.......... mine was really only the upper end of normal. Hang in there, and the chances are still way in your favour that all is perfect with your bub. As I said, I really feel for you, as I know firsthand what you are going through. If you want to pm me or ask me anything I'm happy to share.

Take care,

Lee x

Hunni. you and your precious baby will remain in my thoughts and prayers this week. My heart is heavy waiting for your news.
    Hang in there. You can do it... You have got this far. I am here if you need me.
    Thinking of you.

Thankyou all so much, I appreciate all your thoughts and prayers. I also thankyou for sharing some stories of hope.

Lee - I am so sorry for what you have been thru, I feel sick with worry right now too. I am sorry that your outcome wasnt a positive one, and having been thru such a hard time, I know how difficult it would have been with this pg as you approached your NT scan. I am so happy that this pg is going well for you. Thankyou for sharing your story.

Ruf - Thanks hun, I know you are here. You and all you other ladies are wonderful and I appreciate every single one of you. Thanks again. Hugs

Cheryl, I am sorry that you are having to go through this. I was told by a very good OB that for some reason, older women do tend to get high readings on their NT scans and quite a high proportion of these women will go on to have perfectly normal, healthy children. How old are you? Are you over 40?

I haven't had a CVS but I have had 4 amnios. The procedures are very similar, just done at different stages of pregnancy and the cells they take come different areas (placenta CVS, amniotic fluid amnio). Both procedures in expert hands are fairly safe. Some people find them merely uncomfortable (me for one). Everyone is different.
    The main thing to remember is, what do you intend to do with the results. If you would end your pregnancy if there is a problem, then having the test is the best thing. I had the amnios for that reason. If you intend to see the pregnancy through no matter what, then you don't have to have the test. Of course, a lot of people prefer to be fore warned even if they intend to have their baby no matter what. It is a very personal thing.

Still, none of that really helps you other than to know that we are all thinking of you.

One other thing. I was 45 when I had my last babies. I am 46 now. I didn;t have a NT U/S, went straight to amnio. Even at my age things can go right.

Hugs and best wishes to you,
    Debbie

Oh Cheryl, I'm so anxious for you. What a decision.

CSAB - Try to be more positive about this. I know how hard it is because I've been there. I got a 1/37 risk from the combined test. My measurement was 4.2. I went on and had the amnio done and no abnormalities were found and all appears normal in the latest scan. Of course I still have to wait til the birth day to be sure but I've decided to stick with positive thoughts. I found that being as positive about it as possible was the thing that got me through all the stress. If you are worried about the CVS it probably wont be as bad as you are imagining - I know my amnio was no big deal to actually go through, it was the whole lead up to it and the waiting for results that was the difficult part.

I feel for you atm. My friend who is 39 had a 1:10 chance from nt/us etc but when she had the amnio everything was fine so be positive! I think isn't it funny- if you were told you had a 1:27 chance of winning lotto you wouldn't expect to win but if its somethng bad you always expect it will happen!
    Hugs to you at this difficult time.

Satya - I am nervous about tomorrows CVS. I have to still drink the 2glasses of water, how am I going to hold that in with all the nerves and them sticking a needle up there All the while having the u/s done at the same time. Doesnt sound like a pretty look does it. They had me empty 4times during the NT scan yesterday as my bladder was too full for them to get the results they needed. I have composed myself especially after the hospital visit today, speaking with the counsellor again, and the physician and OB. Yet I know I must go thru with tomorrow so I know for sure how healthy bub is. I was told today it will take about 2days for the results to come back as all the tests are done at Westmead hospital and then sent back to my hospital. They said that the quick results will give a high percentage I think they said around 90% cant really remember now, and by that they will have a good indication, but they then wait for the rest of the week until they get the correct results. So I agree waiting for the results is going to be the worse. Thanks hun.

Kim Thanks once again hun. hugs

Debbie - Thankyou for sharing your story. I have been told that the Dr doing the procedure tomorrow does 100's of them. I believe he is also the head Dr of the Feto Maternal Unit. He is the only one that does the Vaginal CVS and they have another Dr that only does the other CVS. So I feel confident that he will do a great job. Thankyou for sharing with me your story about your last babies and congratulations for the birth of them. I am 35 and next week 36.

Mrsmac - Thankyou too hun. And you are right with the lotto. Funny that.

Big hugs Cheryl You have been given some really wise advice from the gorgeous women in here.

I just need you to hear that NT u/s is an indicator - it is a test that puts you in the group of women who are least likely to have a baby with a chromosomal issue or in the group that is more likely to. Your results put you in the latter. That is very very difficult information to deal with - especially given your history. CVS in the hands of an expert is likely not to cause problems with your pregnancy so try to relax about that as much as is possible. Keep a mantra playing over in your head. One that suits you. Use it to replace the negative thoughts and words that come to mind. This is something that helped me enormously during my pregnancy with Imogen - it may help you too...

The CVS is usually described as uncomfortable. It is over quickly. Spend the rest of the day resting and eating tim tams. YOU deserve it.

I know you alone have to live this but know that we are all here - though we are far away physically you are in our positive thoughts. There is a power to that that you will feel. I know that I did all those times that I was in need of support.

We will be holding your hand tomorrow as you go through this - what time is it?

Sending you loads of love and hugs... :hugs:

Cheryl, sending you big healthy positive vibes for tomorrow's CVS. And huge hugs and lots of love for you. Will be thinking of you tomorrow and keeping everything crossed for you. All of us will be beside you in spirit to hold your hand and give you strength.

Flowerchild - Thankyou for your kind words, I am taking everything in a trying very hard to keep positive. I also know that the stress is not good for me or bubs. You have been thru quite a bit too, I hope little Imogen is doing well. My appointment is at 11.00am. Thankyou for letting me know that it is over quickly, I was a bit worried about that especially having a full bladder. Lots of hugs

Kerry - Thankyou too hun, I dont know where I would be if I didnt have all you lovely women next to me and keeping me as sane as possible with your words of comfort. Hugs.

Thankyou all you lovely ladies once again, as I said I just dont know where I would be if I didnt come here to vent and have all your caring hearts and souls helping me thru this tough time. I am truly praying that I can bring some wonderful news about my baby soon. Loads and loads of hugs.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast