Thread: Please help-constipated!!!

Question Please help-constipated!!!

Hi girls,
    Thankfully this is the least embarrasing way to get help to a common pregnancy problem.Prior to becoming pregnant i went to the loo for number 2 every day. Now I'm struggling with going once every three or four days and am in a lot of discomfort. I worked in a pharmacy for ten years and during pregnancy we would recommend actilax or lactulose. I can't stomach either.I'm 14 weeks pregnant and just wondered if any of you know of any pill/tablet i can take to get me going. I'm drinking lots of water and chewing extra because i thought the nutrasweet would work-but still nothing. I bought prune juice tonight and really struggled to swallow it as it partially bounced on the way down but within ten minutes i had thrown up the entire lot. Not as bad coming up as going down i might add. That smell!!!!I dont think i'll ever drink muscat or port or eat raisins or prunes ever again. It was awful.If anyone can offer some insight i'd be very grateful.

Physillium Husks from the health food aisle in the supermarket.

About $5 a bag.

3 teaspoons in a breakfast smoothie: every day.

And obviously ensure you have a diet rich in fibre and at least 2l of water a day.

This works for me and my son. Eat pears (even from a can), a lot of almonds (for me) but a surefire way to get things moving for us is licorice (good quality, Darryl Lea is one of the best!).

As Lucy said, eats lots of fibre and drink a lot of water also.

HTH

I find normacol good - and it's natural. Oranges (at least 2 per day) usually work a treat too. Good luck - am having the same problem at the moment. They used to come as easily as a No. 1 for me - ok....need to go....done - not anymore!

If you are looking for a pill then coloxyl and senna is about the best.

Pollyanna - me toooo lol! thanks for posting, now i dont have too lol.

Btw, you are in the 2nd tri now! woohoo

Dried apricots and fresh pears have always done it for me in the past but not so much now.

Hi all,
    Just wanted to express a very sincere thankyou for all of your help and advice. Well it would appear i dont have nearly enough fibre in my diet... So tommorow i will go to the shops and by more fruit,veg and baked beans. I'm still not great with food in the morning but i'm sure i can manage a breakfast smoothie with phsyllium husks. I looked for them at my local supermarket and they didnt have them and my work dont stock them either-maybe not very common over here. Anyway i will track them down and keep some coloxyl for emergencies. as much as i love darrell lea licorice I'm trying to watch my blood sugars so i couldnt be trusted with buying that. I think pears and dried apricots and almods are all things that i'll give a go, if i dont eat them i can be guaranteed the kids will. And yes b26-it is awesome to be in the second tri-just like you.!! It really is a feeling of relief.

Just another thing to add to your list of remedies - can you stomach kiwifruit at the moment? A few of those should help, and they're full of vitamin C too! (I only thought of those cos my olds have a vine, we were very regular in kiwifruit season :P)

Good luck pollyanna!!!

If you do end up with the 'roids, do go to the docs sooner rather than later. And if its a really bad one, get them to lance it - so much less pain than letting it burst itself (been there, done that!)

Good luck.

Coming from the queen of constipation i was gonna recommend prune juice but just read you cant have it(it was like have a firehose up my butt)but i found get some pears,not soft but green hard ones and have one of those,guaranteed it will work 4u and lemme know,im suffering from it bad!!
    Good luck,i feel your pain
    Bon xo

Hi before pregnancy i used to get bunged up quite bad now since being pregnant oh my is it worse and recently i have been told to take iron tablets this makes it even worse. I take benefiber in my coffee in morning or Fibersure bought from all chemists or woolies or coles. Fiber sure contains more fiber than benefit so i tend to pick that instead, One heaped teas spoon in my coffee and its great. You cant tatse it and it dissolves completely. For hubbie he just drinks apple juice and that gives him the runs about 1 liter of that and he if off to the loo.

Hope this helps