Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ridiculously constipated

Default ridiculously constipated

i have never been this constipated in my life!!! i started antidepressants 2 weeks ago which have blocked me up even more so. not last night the night b4 i took a senna laxative because my belly was very tender and i hadnt done a decent poo in almost 2 weeks. i was very sore and feeling horrible. the next day i had so much relief.
    i have a decent diet but i know i can increase my fibre, but i find that if i take to much i get constipated again.

what does everyone else do to try and keep them regular other than the obvious fibre and water??

are you taking iron tablets as well hun? they will bind u up b4 u can say constipation! try eating lots of dried fruit hun

Tia- poor you, i hate being constipated, hate it HATE it!!! I just have weetbix every morning, lots of water and fruit. But my sister had the metamucil fibre caps and she took them all the way through her pregnancy and found it helped heaps.
    Good luck. I know it feels yukky

Oh you poor bugger!! (that was my first thought when I read the title)

As you said youself... the usual fibre and water thing go along way to staying regular...
    I try and get it in ways like a Yummy Helgas Wholemeal or Soy and linseed bread... Weetbix with banana and honey...mmmmmmmm :P
    Green veggies are a good one also... About 3 nights a week we have Frozen veggies (broc, beans ect) and after I go shopping we will always eat fresh veggies... Much of a muchness I reckon.

Good ol' metamucile as well... they have an orange one that tastes like Vitamine C tablets... Dont know about anyone else but how yummy are the vitamin C tabs!! I could eat them like lollies! he he he...

Hope that helps and that I havent just rattle of the usualy stuff....
    Hope you feel better soon!
    xox

no havent taken any iron. i have lactose intolerance so milk products usually set me off when i am chockas. even that didnt work. i had weetbix and cows milk and it didnt make a difference. i also have IBS (all this thanks to my 1st child ) so my digestive system is righteously screwed lol.
    fibrecaps might be a good idea. i used metamucil when i came out of hospital with my 1st but it was like drinking sludge. eww

I've been taking very strong iron tablets for about 5 months now. Iron tablets are terrible for constipation but I've been taking a combination vitamin at the same time of Primrose, Fish Oil & v.E. I've not experienced any constipation whilst on iron tablets so put my help down to this additional vitamin tablet but obviously can't prove it. I've taken iron tablets before with nothing else and have been constipated so that's why I assume it to be this tablet.

My DD also has issues with being regular and since giving her one dried fig a day, she's come right. Kiwifruit, Pears and Apples (last two you can grate and mix in blender for a drink) are all meant to help as well.

hmm ok. i ahve been eating lots of fruit (its my thing when im pregnant so it seems) but that vitamin looks like a good idea. sorry, im a newbie but what is DD? delightful daughter? lol

when I was pregnant I was severly constipated as well, I took metamucel and drank a lot of pear juice....a lot of laxatives shouldnt be taken in pregnancy but coloxyl drops or tablets that you can buy over the counter at the chemist are safe. Hope it gives you some relief soon nothing worse than being constipated and pregnant

Hehehehe - just a short cut - sorry.
    DD - I always thought it was dear daughter
    DS - is dear son.

Hi Tia
    Try coloxyl amd senna tablets. You can get them from the chemist
    I suggest that you take 2 in the morning and 1 at night.
    If after 2 days nothing has happened then take 2 in the morning and 2 at night.
    Make sure you are also taking lots of water around 3 litres a day.

yes i used senna tablets and they worked. im still a little bloated and feel a bit average but its a lot better. its just preventing having to use them again. im sick of swallowing pills!! haha if it means staying regular its ok, but to go thru a whole day of sitting on the loo, ill pass (no pun intended).
    i have a funny thing with water. i cant drink it by itself as it tastes like im licking metal and makes me nauseas ill have to buy lots of lemons

Oh poor darling, it's awful isn't it? I hope you can "regulate" soon!

Aw, Tia, so sorry you're going through this. What about good ole prunes?
    It must be tough getting enough water into you when you feel crook drinking it... A twist of lemon sounds like a lovely idea. The water is so important particularly if you're upping your fibre intake. The fibre won't help unless you've got the fluids as well.
    Hope it gets better soon.

I also had terrible constipation when I was pregnant. I think it was worsened by the iron tablets I was taking. So on the advice of my ob I stopped taking those and started taking Floradix (a liquid iron) for my iron deficency. I also took psylluim husks in my porridge, had soy and linseed bread and heaps of fruit and veg! Unfortunately it was still a bit of a battle. I only wished I had been warned about taking the iron tablets before I started taking them. Hope your feeling better soon.
    Last edited by Emma27; January 17th, 2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: addded sentence

Another thing that might help is a slight massage on your lower abdomen. Press gently with your thumbs just inside your hipbones in a circular motion for a minute or two. It can help. I know its bad for me, but sometimes I'll have a cup of reeeeally strong black coffee, boy howdy that does it.

hahaha yeah coffee doesnt work good with me, strong coffee makes me bounce off walls! i do find that massage helps when im mildly constipated but nothing was helping but the poo-pills lol. since i took the senna laxatives there has been some regularity established thank god. i went all out on dairy products yesterday (it was my bday so i spoiled myself hehe) and thats brought some movement about without anything too uncomfortable.
    snacks...after my csection a midwife at the hospital was nagging me to drink prune juice. i had two sips and it was vile!! put me way off! im kinda scared to eat them now lol
    i have been eating much more lately so ive been able to incorporate lots of fruits. hopefully it will start to all mesh together and establish some regularity!! *rubs hands together*

Great, Tia. I hope your bunged-up days are... ahem... *behind* you

its been 6 days and things are much much better!! i have a lot less bloating now so i can actually see my pregnancy, rather than my blocked up belly hahaha!! last night i had the belly on show in public in a club!! people noticed 'oh wow are you having another baby??' it was nice because normally i tell them and they just say, oh yeah pull the other one haha. i think the baby is a lot happier not having a big weight squashing and pushing it around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast