Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is there left to eat???

bubNo.2 Guest

Hi ,

Im so glad to hear that there are women like me out there who eat anything and evrything and guess what we are all FINE!!! AS someone said about hand washing that is just common sense isnt ... like everything else we eat!

Oh about the alcohol bit .... i drink wine but i must admit i didnt drink at all the first 12 -15 weeks but since 20 weeks i have had a glass or two on the rare occasion! As my DF explained to me 'you are only having 12% alcohol of how many mls in the glass. eg if it was 10% he meant 100mls x 10% = 10mls of alcohol. I went arg haaa !!! BUt again im not one to get plastered while pregnant a) not a good look and b) lthis bub is way to precious !
    Mind you before i was pregnant DF and i always had a glass of wine of a night!
    So the cravings for my glass with dinner was missed psychological but as i couldnt even stand the taste in the 1st trimester i didnt really care!

It is realy funny though yes our parents smoked drank and ate everything in site and we were ok .... im talking 1960 1970s!!

cheers Ainsley

~Belinda~ Guest

Ainsley, I avoided wine before my 20 week mark. Then I had odd glass of wine but it wasn't a full glass, it may have been 50mL of wine and the rest lemonade! And it was perhaps once every couple of weeks...seriously, people stress too much these days about things.

Wow I had never heard about soft serve icecream being bad!! Luckily DS survived me eating about 100 maccas sundaes when pg!!
    I have to admit when I had my 1st child over 16 years ago there wasn't much of this don't eat this this and this around, I realise just cause we did it then doesn't make it safe mow but it does make you wonder! A guy at work told me no baby octopus or anything whilst pg and a greek woman on staff said "why?? all those greek women in villages have been eating it whilst pg for centuries"
    I think, as others have said just be sensible, I found I lost the taste for some things and really craved others so I just went with my body (luckily my body is trained to crave chocolate LOL)

~Belinda~ Guest

I was told to stay away from soft serve, much to my disgust because of the contamination in the vats (who knows???)....I was devastated! Darn, now I wished I had eaten it. I need to eat it for 10 years to catch up on that 9 months I stayed away from it. I love strawberry sundaes!

It didn't help that my oldest DD works at Maccas so I had to pick her up from there 3 or 4 times a week!!!

Hi ladies

Just adding a story ..... not preaching

Last year I was pregnant - I am always very careful what i eat during preg - my choice. A very clean cafe downstairs from my work would make fresh salad wraps around 11.30 and I would go down at 12 and they put one aside and it was in the fridge. I have eaten there regularly, know all the staff and managers, and trust their prep.

However, one day I was about 9 wks - and within an hour of eating the wrap (without ham) - I felt violently ill - went home and then vomited for 2 days straight. No kidding, sickest I have ever been. Doc said try not to worry, should be ok. I asked about listeria, she said listeria often does not have vomiting associated with it, it is a silent infection.

Of course I told the mgr when I got back to work and he was shocked and appalled and of course very apologetic.

I ended up having a missed m/c - my doc said after results that of course there is no conclusive evidence that the two were related, but could be possible that I suffered such a bad infection, bubs might have been infected.

What I am trying to say is that it is a choice we make. I know that I was eating well and was definitely avoiding all the no-no food, but was still sick. But of course I still have some guilt in the back of my mind that I wasn't careful enough.

Might be boring, but it is only for 8 months really.

I eat scrambled eggs once a week for protein, good for you And I still have a daily coffee ( when I stomach it) so not totally paranoid

Good luck to you all

Sam

Its so funny to see how the whole food bans thing sits on people.....

I eat subway and love it coz at the moment all I want is salad sandwiches (after 4 months of nothing but vegemite)

Although I think about how gross the inside of those soft serve machines must be I cant help but want and occassionally have and nice big maccas icecream with chocolate topping on the top and caramel on the bottom..... mmmmmmm might have to get one today.

I have had A glass of wine since falling pregnant but much to my disgust had been totally wiped out the weekend before finding out I was 4 weeks pregnant

I wont eat eggs with runny yolk - never have though

I started to wonder about eating cheesecake - BUT some soft cheese are ok to eat. Ones that are aged with mould (which I wouldnt eat anyways) and ones that are stored in water are not.

TIN TUNA IS OK IS EAT!!!! There is a size difference in Yellow fin and Blue Fin tuna..... the one that is in the tins doesnt contain as much mercury as tuna you would get from a restaurant.

I was eating Sushi - not the chicken or raw ones but often had cooked tuna and vegetarian ones until the program on ACA had 11 of the 15 sushi shops fail health standards. 3 of them found high levels of E-Coli ewwwww. Not just because I am pregnant but the though of someone wiping their butt then touching the food I'm going to eat put me off it for a long time.

My friend is a chef and we went out to lunch one day and the egg was runny - she told me I couldnt eat it - in fact when she is around she will drill me about anything I eat if it isnt to pregnancy standards. I feel so loved but geez

With the soft serve ice cream... that one is a greater risk than others... I wouldn't be buying it from a Mr. Whippy van ever! Let alone when pregnant. Possibly the Maccas ice-cream could be better because their hygiene standards are pretty rigorous... but I'd stick to supermarket icecream.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathsheba View Post
    Don't follow my advice but when i was pregnant (3 times) I didn't change my diet at all. However I don't eat red meat so that helped I guess (sticking to the guidelines). I ate sushi, Camembert, Smoked salmon, runny eggs, the works. But I cut down on what I would eat outside the home. Instead if I wanted a New York Bagel (smoked salmon, cream cheese etc I would buy all the ingredients fresh from the supermarket... cream cheese fresh from the packet etc. Checking the used by dates, always reaching to the back of the refrigerated cabinet etc. Having worked in the food industry i know what to look out for. I also wouldn't eat from a self serve bain marie that the general public had access to. The guidelines don't say much about that do they? Does it say to avoid a dessert that everyone has been picking through? With the sushi hand rolls that i ate i would ONLY eat them from a particular place that has very high hygiene standards and a high turn over. I don't eat red meat and I needed this as a protein option. I can't see the millions of pregnant Japanese women avoiding sushi. Excuse the pun but bite me! The only time I have had food poisoning was from a loaf of bread.... who would have thought THAT would be a risk, thankfully i wasn't pregnant. I think that that choosing a food outlet with high turnover/cleanliness standards needs to be right up there with the recommendations. Use common sense... take the recommendations literally and you can still get into trouble. I think you need to see the big picture, not just rely on a guideline. Think about the history of the food that you are about to eat... I recommend the shortest distance from factory to your mouth... less middle men. Also consider the overall cleanliness of the environment you are eating in... have you washed your hands? Hand contamination is a huge contributor to infection and food. At the end of the day, don't be paranoid, know that millions of women have eaten everything on the "banned" list and carried healthy babies... don't live in fear, just be careful and clean.

That would have to be one of the greatest online threads i have read!!!

You got it all in one...and i think a lot of women & men online need to read it becuase it is such a huge issue and affecting our everyday lives....thanks!!

Hi, I had my eldest DD in 1992 and I ate everything back then, ignorance is bliss, since then I have 3 late first trim MC,
    2 live babies
    and another 3 early first trim MC,
    with the last 2 babies I was careful but not overally.
    I am now pregnant with my last baby, and I am very over the top, to me it has just been so hard to get pregnant and stay pregnant that I think I will just manage, I have 6 months to go and it's not going to kill me.
    In saying that there are lots of girls who do really crazy things and have successfull trouble free pregnancies???????
    My losses have really played a big part in how I feel.

I am with you on that one Blackduckies - having had a couple of losses - it makes me grateful that I am preg again, and will make me very cautious just in case as I couldn't live with the guilt of having willingly done something that may contribute to any problems.

Having said that, i always crave soft serve Macca sundaes when preg - and occasionally sneak a lick of the kids cos it is 'dripping' ....

Default sad

I posted this before..

My friend ate 1 tiny piece of Brie cheese.. She was 33 weeks pregnant.. baby died from listeria 48 hours later.

with my son i ate anythign and everything i thought as doc said "evertyhign in moderation" well where does that start and finish.. with this pregnancy i wont risk it.. a craving will go away eat something else.. for the risk of baby.. i dont think its worth it!

I have seen 5 different doctors during this pregnancy and they've all pretty much given me the same advice. Avoid all food that could be contaminated with listeria.

What everyone needs to remember is that it can live in your body for up to 70 days without you even knowing you are infected with it. I read this in the brochure my midwife gave me so it's not just a rumour. If it's present in your body when you go into labour it can spell disaster for your baby and in very rare cases disaster for yourself.

It is very uncommon for you to get listeria in Australia but it does still happen. That's why doctors warn you about it.

What I was told was:

No soft cheese.

No mayo or creamy dressings of any kind that contain egg - so if its packaged and says egg in the ingredients don't have it - if it's at a restaurant just don't have it at all as often wait staff don't know what the correct ingredients are.

No prepared salads - so no potato salad or coleslaw, pasta salad etc - regardless of its source.

Wash all fruit and veg very thoroughly before use. Don't have a salad from anywhwere you think they might not have washed the lettuce or tomato etc.

No deli meats at all. I must admit I have had some pizza as I have read that ham and bacon are OK if hot.

No runny eggs....period.

All meat must be cooked very well.

Chicken bought when you are out must be eaten immediately and must be hot - never ever cold as you don't know if it has been cooled under correct conditions. If you cook a chook at home you can also eat it the next day but not after that.

It certainly limits what you eat when you are out but doesn't really interfere all that much when eating at home.

One of the things I want most is a plain old ham sanga but I'm not having it til after bubs is born. When I get a burger or chicken burger I order it with cheese but without lettuce, tomato and no creamy dressings. I don't eat salads when out, I go for vegies or chips. I also crave eggs benedict but that's also going to have to wait.

I can do without alcohol for 9 months, I'm quite sure I can live without a few favorites for just another few months.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12