Thread: Acid Reflux = Big Baby???

Default Acid Reflux = Big Baby???

I was just wondering what you guys thought about that??

I was told that bad acid reflux meant that you were expecting a largish baby. Being my first pregnancy I have absolutely no idea about this. And I have been experiencing some serious reflux during the 'sleep' hours of the night and it's getting worse.

Hi Cherii

I dont think that one is true. I never had anything like that and my bub was 10 pnd 6oz and 60 cm long! I was huge but was carrying a fair bit of fluid, but even my doc didnt say I was having a big baby. I dont think you can really tell. Even ultrasounds arent acurate to tell the size. I wouldnt worry about it at all.

I guess its another one of those old wives tales that may be true in some cases, but isn't in all.

I had acid reflux bad with my second daughter who weighed 40gm lighter than her bigger sister at birth. Only 4kg.

My good friend had severe reflux & her bubs both weighed under 3.5kg.

I thought the reflux/heartburn OWT was that if you had heartburn/reflux you would have a baby born with a full head of hair

Gotta love those Old Wives.....

nup, I drank 3 litres of milk a day with my first preg to try and help my reflux - Darcy was 3.2kg.
    lol she did have lots of dark hair though.

i had bad reflux too, sophie was born with a head full of hair and only 3.3kg or 7lb5oz

Codswallop! Take it with a grain of salt and move on. For the record, I had it the worst with my 3rd smallest baby (who just happened to be over 9lb but also had a head full of thick black hair)

Hey Cherii,

Yep, I know nearly everyone who has had constant reflux has had a baby with a lot of hair on it's head.

Or, you could just be unlucky. Thankfully my reflux hasn't been too bad with my pregnancies and my boys where both bold!!

Good luck in the coming weeks to your first little treasure.

Ellibam Guest

there was a study that supported the reflux= hairy baby.

but i never heard of the reflux= big baby

I don't think the big baby one is true, I had horrible reflux with my dd and she was average size born. But she did have heaps of hair- on her head her arms her thighs her back...she was a little gorilla, LOL. I have it again this time too and I expect a hairy baby again!
    I have read studies about the hairy thing though that it has been proven to some degree (not every time) and its due to some hormone or enzyme or something that is created when babies have lots of hair! So maybe not so much of a wives tale after all??

Well I had it too - but Izzy was 4kgs, 8lb 13oz, and pretty bald!!! I was expecting a head full of hair! Good luck with it all - not long to go!

Ok I really thought Old Wives Tale..... now I think I'm gonna have an ape baby - oh well she will take after her dad then

ya dag!

I aways get the worst reflux, every time. I have to sleep sitting up for the last 3 weeks or so. None of my bubs were over 8pounds, and all practically bald....

no no no no nooo not true.