Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anger/Anxiety in Pregnancy

~Belinda~ Guest

Default Anger/Anxiety in Pregnancy

Do you believe that having anger issues and anxiety during pregnancy harms your unborn baby in any way?

Some of us get annoyed/angry and hormonal during our pregnancy but I'm curious to know if there is any scientific proof to suggest it leads to behavioural problems or disturbed sleep patterns when they are born?

Hey Bindy

our behaviour may not directly influence the unborn baby...but the chemical reactions (how the body reacts to certain feelings) or hormones do certainly affect the baby, as they cross the blood barrier at the placenta

but remember as well...that emotions are life and part of who we are

hope this helps

xx yogababy

I believe it does have an effect.

Whilst pg, I was told I would need to be re-interviewed for my job as they wanted to sack half the PAs and make the half that remained do twice the work. I was happy to go, tbh, as I didn't want to fight my friends for jobs but my boss took a great interest in this and I ended up co-ordinating some of the public awareness and resistance. Plus there were all the endless meetings I had to attend about this. Very stressful. In the end, no interview (I would have been recalled around my due date for one!) but a lot of stress.

Then there was DH deciding that actually, he wasn't ready for a baby. He adores DS now, but I honestly felt he'd rather we just get run over or something and solve all his problems.

Otherwise, I was really calm in pregnancy. Oh, except when I thought DH was having an affair so changed the locks. And whenever I spoke to my mother. And when DH told me he didn't fancy me because of the extra weight. But I did feel calm and contented when out running, even at term.

DS is the world's worst sleeper.

~Belinda~ Guest

Yeah sometimes I worry heaps about small things, really cranky about nothing some days! I blame hormones but then I think, "I hope this is not affecting Madeleine!"

Man...I have anxious, weepy, downright hysterical crying episodes...hopefully Ramlet will be a gem like his/her big brother....but then I wasn't lke this when pregnant with James...weird.

~Belinda~ Guest

you make me laugh mrsr, i'm hoping the feelings i get sometimes doesn't pass down to her! i guess it's all normal to feel yukky some days but you can't help wonder whether some negativeness is being passed on!

Mommyto1.5 Guest

i have to say that during my first preg i was just emotional all around a hallmark commercial would make me cry. but this time wow watch out i can get nasty. i feel sorry for DH & DD. however DH says it's easier for him to deal with the b!tchy prego lady then the crying one lol. but i do hope that this nastiness doesn't affect bambino. someone told me that it was a sign of aggression and that the baby would be aggressive. i don't know DD can be really emotional but if you push the right button aggression is only the beginning with her. watch out no matter how big you are. all in all i thing it's just hormones playing games with us just like PMS.

Mommyto1.5

When I was preg with #1 I was so snappy and mad I stopped talking to a coworker completely for about 3 months because I couldn't say anything nice as they were wasting the whole day everyday and never did any work. With #2 I got so frustrated with crappy service and food in our small small town's restaurants that my husband wouldn't let be talk to the waitress. This time it has been much better but I don't work outside the home and we stopped eating out to avoid the disappointing meals in our restaurants.

I think if you have a major stress during your pregnancy. Death of a spouse kind of thing. It could effect the baby but I think God has designed things to insulate the baby very well from average daily concerns and hormonal craziness.

I had a very stressful pregnancy with Aidyn... due to my partner resenting me for being pregnant, and not being supportive of me, and other relationship difficulties. So there were many tears, many hysterics, and many days/weeks of being depressed and low. I can distinctly remember a few times where I was so worked up and upset that I was worried I was going to hurt him (Aidyn), or bring on early labour or something.

Aidyn seems to have been unaffected by this though... has always been a fairly placid, & good natured baby, who was a 'fairly' good sleeper - up until age 10 months or so, and then things started to go bad with his sleeping!

~Belinda~ Guest

I can just be sooooooooooooo moody sometimes! Oh well, your posts have been so helpful girls! I am hoping my little Madeleine will be unaffected by my super sensitivity, cranky moods and worry at times!!

Bindy, I had diagnosed ante natal depression from 10 weeks - I have generally the happiest child you could meet - she is however 'difficult' - but only in the opinion of others. I don't find it a problem

~Belinda~ Guest

Hi Kim

Sorry to hear of your ante-natal depression, I hope you are going along fine now. You have a really beautiful little girl there, she's so cute!

Bindy xx

Although mine hasn't come out yet, I was driving around with my mum and swearing at stupid drivers, and my mum said "now, now, anger is not good for bubs". I asked her if me getting a hernia would be any better for him?

I was so moody, angry and anxious during my pregnancy with my daughter Madeleine (coincidence? lol). All of Madeleine's life she has been a moody person... she has thrown major temper tantrums for as long as I can remember. She still throws them now and she is 10. I don't know if it is all linked. I have heard that carrying girls can make some people like this though... it is an old wives tale.

Bindy thanks for worrying - all great now though! Thanks for the compliment - you'll be just as lucky.

i too am worried about my emotions and how they can affect bub.... presently going through an terrible time with DH.. suspected cheating and his resentment towards me being pg.. just at a loss as to how to make myself not so anxious... am seeing counsellers and social workers, but at the end of the day its all up to me and my feelings... both my boys are and were so calm and content with the world right from birth cant help but to think this one will be highly strung..

I have actually wondered about this too as lately i have been a snappy,moody b**ch.Glad i'm not the only one though,makes me feel a little less guilty for being such a cow

I was on the receiving end of snappy and critical comments last night, no less than 3 times. I still feel icky. Will post more elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast