Thread: Aqua classes during pregnancy

Default Aqua classes during pregnancy

Hi everyone,

Having finally made it past the first trimester, I thought I had better stop slobbing around on the couch and get out there and do some exercise. I am keen to try a water based exercise class specifically designed for pregnant women and was wondering if anyone had/has been to one, what they think, where the class is, and how much it costs. I live in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, and was hoping to go to a class in this area. I have also heard that there a private health insurance rebates if the class is run by a physiotherapist - is this true?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Aquamums do a pg water aerobics class. (you might have to google them). I did their course in Armadale at Recreation and loved it with DD. Not sure about the rebates, but it was worth going regardless. I loved getting in the pool to take the weight of my body. Ahhhhh!

I found aqua mums on the web - they have one in Kew which is kind of close to me. I contacted them yesterday but haven't heard back yet. But is good to know that you both like the classes! How much do they cost per session?

Sorry, I couldn't tell you as I did them 10 years ago with DD. We moved house since then and it was just too hard to juggle full time work, DH's hours, DD's schedule and travelling to the classes, so I didnt do them with #2. Haven't even had time to think about it this time round either.

I hope you enjoy them. I'm sure they'll call you back soon.

It's not much help since I'm in Sydney, but I did the pg aqua course at my hospital (private) and yes, it was run by the physio dept and yes, I got a rebate from my health fund. So I'm sure you can get the same thing in Melb.

I loved the class. Especially since it was about the only time I was reminded to do my pelvic floor exercises. I made some great friends as well, since there were a few mums due at the same time. In fact, 19 mths later one is looking after my DD every week for me!

The same place also held a postnatal exercise class, also eligible for rebate. Great to get back in shape gently (started after 6 wk check-up) and not have to worry about baby, since they had ppl in the same room rocking prams!

Hi there - I too loved the water when I was pg but thought aquamums was too expensive so I just went to regular aqua aerobics classes - the instructor at the start of each class just told me to take it easy and if there were any moves that I shouldnt do they told me over the speakers! I loved it and at $10 per class instead of $25 it was pure bliss! I went to Nunawading Aqualink but most pools have aqua classes.

I did 8 weeks of aquanatal here in Sydney - I definately recommend you seek one out - swimming is awesome during those good months

I was supposed to start Aquamums on Saturday but they rang today to cancel indefinately. The classes were going to be $25 for a single session or you could buy in bulk 5 classes $105 or 10 classes $190.

I went at lunchtime today to our local gym and they do aqua aerobics there so I have signed up for a 3 month membership and it is much cheaper plus I have access to the rest of the gym as well and they have pilates etc so that suits because I was also going to do Fit to Deliver and I couldn't get into any of the classes that I wanted!

Wow! The prices sure have gone up since I did Aquamums, mind you I did love it. I'm sure you'd get a good aqua class at your closest gym/pool. Give them a call.

Thanks everyone! I got a call from Aquamums yesterday - the classes are expensive at $19 each (if you buy 10 at a time, if you buy them in single sessions then $25) but because the class is run by a physio, I can get private health insurance rebates of $15 a class, so it works out to be $4 out of pocket, which is pretty good! I forgot to ask though - do you need to pay pool admittance on top of that cost?

I checked out our local pools for aqua classes as well, but there is no rebate on those, and thus they end up being more expensive.

I can't wait to start - sounds like you all loved it!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Chuppy, when I was going to do it I was told that you didn't have to pay pool access (that was at the King Club in Sandringham), you just had to say when you were entering that you were with Aquamum's so I assume it would be the same out your way.

I did my first class at the local gym last week and I couldn't believe the workout that you get - it was fantastic! I am going 2 nights per week and I am also doing Body Balance (combination of yoga, pilates & tai chi) 2 nights per week so the gym membership works out at a better value than doing Aquamum's & Fit to Deliver!

I hope you enjoy your classes.

Does anyone know of anywhere that does these sort of classes in Adelaide??

I had my first aqua mums class last night and loved it! Am sure buying a gym membership and doing a few of their classes a week is more beneficial cost wise, but this is the only class I am going to as it is all I can handle because of this lovely fatigue!! Maybe later I will have to look at a gym membership instead....thanks for the tip!! I had to admit, I walked by the pump class last night and had a bit of an "I miss those kinds of classes" pang, so it might be sooner that I re-join the gym!!

Janine, I think aquamums only runs in Vic, but I found out about the class through bubhub - go to this website Pregnancy Exercise Classes and they list different exercise classes for each state, so you might find an qua based one there.....otherwise, like people have said, most pools hold aqua aerobics classes, and you could join one of those and just let them know that you are pregnant.....

Glad you had such a great class Chuppy! (Yeah, I miss the pump type classes too! *sigh*)