Thread: Baby Shower

Question Baby Shower

Hello....when do you nowmally have a baby shower? Who normally organises it? What's the correct ettiquite (?sp)? What do you do?

Lots of questions! Hope you can help .Thanks.

Hi Rachel! My Lovely Sister organized a baby shower for me when i was preg with DS. I had mine when I was 7months, ( I didnt want to leave it too late, as I really wanted to enjoy it!!!) We basically had lots of games and had Dinner pre prepared for all too, mainly finger foods. If you google baby shower party games, you can get a heap of ideas for entertainment for the day....
    You could fill a Jar of Jelly Babies, and whoever is closest to guessing how many are in the jar, wins the Jelly Babies, another game is the Peg game, or the string game, where everyone cuts of a piece of string which they think would go around your preg belly, and who ever has the closest length wins a prize....Just a few to mention...Have a great time organizing it.....Its a great day and one to remember forever

Debbie Lee Guest

Hi Rachel,
    I don't think there's any major rules as to when you have your baby shower but usually people have it some time in the 3rd Trimester. As Ally said, you don't want to leave it toooo late, JIC
    You can organise it yourself or get a family member or a friend organise it for you. My sister organised mine (but I had a lot of input).
    You can make it as formal or casual as you like. Often people play games (you can find stacks online if you google baby shower games). I had a few games going at my baby shower but I didn't want too many because all the girls love to chat and the games can sometime disrupt that.
    People will bring gifts (whether you want them or not) so you may aswell help them out by giving them some idea of what you need. In my invitations I included a little list of gift ideas. Basically I wrote everything I needed down then broke them up into things you can have multiples of (like singlets, towels etc.) then things that you only need one of (baby bath, nappy bucket etc.). I then roughly divvied them out onto lists making sure everyone had a few options from not so expensive to something more expensive that they might like to contribute to. I got some lovely presents and it was wonderful because so much of what I needed was covered in the baby shower!
    I've been to baby showers that have been held at restaurants, parks, loungerooms - anywhere you will be most comfortable.
    Basically it's a bunch of chicks getting together and getting clucky over you and your soon-to-arrive baby. Let them dote over you and enjoy your special day It's great fun!

I am having my baby shower this sunday,and i am totally unorginised! I have some ideas on the baby shower games but i dont want too many as we all like to chat!
    I am just having finger food, getting DF to make spring rolls, having sausage rolls, party pies, etc. Just easy stuff. I am also having mine at home.
    I am only 22 weeks but with me due in feb there are so many birthdays/holidays etc inbetween and im going on a holiday so i thought now would be the best time!
    Take care,
    Jenni

Thanks ladies, there is heaps and heaps of info on the web. My sister has said that she wants to organise the shower so that should be good. I wish there was a way of keeping a semi traditional baby shower but being able to involve DH and his friends too. Any ideas?

Debbie Lee Guest

Rachel - my step sister did that but, in all honesty, the boys spoiled it! They were silly with the games and just wanted to drink beer. The boys get the "head wetting" at the pub after the baby is born! That's their chance to "dote" (as much as men will dote!). But... each to their own! Maybe your DH and his friends aren't as neanderthal as my DH and his mates, hehehe

Thanks Debbie, i was worried that the boys wouldn't be into the 'games'. Was thinking maybe having a bbq afterwards that way the boys can come around then and still get to celebrate, just not with the girlie stuff. A friend did this and i thought it was a great idea. What do you think?

Debbie Lee Guest

That's an excellent idea. Maybe the boys can all go and play golf or go bowling while the girls do the games... then get together for a BBQ??

Hey, i love the golf idea. will definitely have to mention that one to DH!!

I have heard of one baby shower where the hubbies were involved too, they had 2 party games for them, which sounded like they were an absolute corker!!
    First game was to line up all the dads with a cloth nappy, snappy or pins,baby powder and a doll. they then had a race to change the doll the quickest.
    The second was where the hubbies wrapped a towel around themselves and pinned it like nappies,,,,they then had paper bonnets on (premade of course out of just white paper). They all had a dummy on a ribbon around their necks as well. They then had a baby bottle each filled with beer, and they had a race to finish drinking it like a baby.
    I was told everyone laughed so hard, they thought the mum to be was going to go into labour!! lol
    Pity noone had a video camera working at the time,,,,it might have won funniest home videos lol
    Last edited by Lil_Aussie; October 16th, 2006 at 09:56 PM. Reason: typo lol

What a great idea - it sounds like a blast!

I had a baby shower recently with the boys also present lol

It was great...everyone started chatting together etc then the boys all watched the rugby upstairs, then moved onto cooking the BBQ lunch while us girls played games, opened presents, 'played' with the babies etc

It was a really fun, causal way to get everyone together to help us celebrate-plus lunch was taken care of for us girls

Lorasha that also sounds great. I think it's nice to include the daddy-to-be, he is just as much involved as me!

Rachel I went to a shower recently where we were all together for food & drinks & then the boys went off to play and the girls stayed & played games. Then they all came together at the end for opening pressies. It was really nice not to have the boys left out.

This time we are having a welcoming party for our little one and will have it after she's born so we will all be there as a family & just having a morning tea picnic in the park.

Christy the welcoming party sounds like a great idea too.

I had a Babyshower at 34 weeks...lucky i didn't leave it any later as bub unexpectedly came 2 days later :eek:.
    We had an afternoon tea with yummo finger foods and sweets with wine, beer and non-alcoholic stuff too...and as it was DH's bub too we chose to make it for both sexes. So our close friends and family were invited to a casual arvo at our house. We didn't play any games (i hate hate hate that stuff) and just casually opened pressies before people left. I had prepared little thankyou gifts (little box of chocs with a thankyou tag attached) so that i didn't need to worry about sending out personal cards afterwards....which in our case with Ella coming premmie was very handy indeed!
    It was a good opportunity to have everyone round before bub consumed our life iykwim!

Rae, i really like that idea too. Especially the thank you gifts.