Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: c section

perthmum Guest

I had an emergency c/s and complications afterwards. Although this is not the norm, just know that a c/s is NOT the easy option it is sometimes made out to be. If its necesary then of course do it. If there is an alternative, then question it. I HAVE to have a c/s next time now but have been told it should be better because it won't be an emergency and will be properly planned.

Whichever way you go, I wish you all the very best!

Hi Perthmum,

I don't think any of us made it out to be a soft option. One thing that is hard for other people to accept is that some of us choose to have a c section and it doesn't mean that we believe we are taking the easy way out. I describe my recovery in positive terms because for me, it was not a negative experience. I believe that others contemplating the same decision deserve at least as much positive information as the negative they are more than likely to receive.

Kind regards,

Mel

Colleen Guest

Completely agree with you there Melbo. Very well said.

The worst thing I found for the first 2 weeks at least, was trying to get myself out of bed at night! I was really tender, and my stiches pulled a lot.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie Lee
    Also.. after all the medications, pain relief, vitamins etc. etc. I was pretty constipated for a while - it took a good while to get back to normal. I don't know if that's indicative of a caesar or if it's just par for the course of having a baby. I know a few people that had vaginal births that had constipation issues afterwards too.
    The opium family of pain relivers (morphine, pethadine etc) all cause constipation so I think that its pretty normal to be a bit backed up afte a c-section. If you use them during a vaginal birth they'll have the same effect. Also becuase its all so tender down there lots of women hold it back which can cause problems.
    Most hospitals have a post-op 'no fart - no food' policy. It didn't cause me a problem because i managed a fart pretty soon but the woman next to me didn't fart for over 48 hours after her c-section. You can imagine how hungry the poor thing was.

Debbie Lee Guest

See... I was never asked if I had farted?? I know they were interested in my wee after the catheter came out?? Maybe because I'd had the caesar at 5pm and went through the night sleeping, it was ok??

Lorin Guest

I am really wanting a c-section and after listening to all you guys its made me want one even more. I have never liked the thought of labour and all that, and every one i know tells me the recovering form ceaserian is much worst and the pain is much worst and so forth, but i beleive you cant ask to ahve c-sections any more is this right???

Debbie Lee Guest

Lorin - I really think the recovery varies from person to person. I really didn't think it was that bad... but, then, I think I was kind of "expecting" to have a caesar simply because my Mum had had 4 of them?? So maybe I was in the right frame of mind?? Maybe my pain threshold is higher? There's sooo many different variables.
    One of the girls in my mother's group had an elective caesar with her first as she couldn't get her head around the concept of a vaginal birth - but I think she had a shocking time with recovery.
    Have you been to antenatal classes?? Maybe it would be a good idea to talk to a midwife about it all and you may feel a little more at ease about giving a natural birth a shot?? I dunno... I have just heard soooo many different stories about birth (both natural and assisted) and everyone's story is pretty different.

Hello, everyone. I have been following this thread with quite some interest because I am planning to have a caesarean (oops gotta get pg first LOL). In my case, it's a reaction to a very traumatic first augmented birth experience with very poorly managed pain relief. It's taken me 9 years and the promise of a caesarean to be able to contemplate having another child. The way I see it, for me a c/s (with all the attendant post surgical pain and weeks of recovery) is the lesser of two evils.

Lorin, you might like to talk to your gp, and midwives at your local hospital, to find out about the criteria required by the public health system for a c/s. You might be surprised. The other alternative is to save your money, buy private health insurance, and find an obstetrician in your area who is happy to do an elective c/s on request.

Marydean; I totally understand your reasons for an elective CS. I too would never have even considered having a baby at all if i didnt have the opportunity to have a cs. Must have been pretty traumatic for you, if you have had to wait 9 years and a promise of a cs, before contemplating having another child. I am glad you are doing what is right for you, and dont let anyone make you feel any less of a person, as some people made me feel. It is after all our bodies, our minds, our health, and what we feel is best for our babies, and that is all that matters. All the very best xx

Debbie Lee Guest

I totally second what you said, Ally... I really hope none of my posts have come across in a bad way??

Marydean - I can only imagine what an aweful time you must have been through to have to wait 9 years to build the courage up to do it again. I wish you all the best for your next pregnancy and birth - I hope it's a far better experience next time

Technically I know that I could quite possibly try for a VBAC next time around. In fact, I swing from entertaining the idea one moment to going back to the c/s the next.
    I just can't escape the HUGE fear I have of having a still birth. 3 generations of women in my family have had a still birth.... my Mum, her Mum and her grandmother all suffered through one at full term. I think the fear of having one myself (even with the advances in medicine these days) would hinder my ability to have a natural birth?? I just don't think it's worth the risk!

Thankyou Ally and Debbie for your supportive and affirming words. Ally, I especially like "It is after all our bodies, our minds, our health, and what we feel is best for our babies, and that is all that matters."

Debbie, I hear your fear - and pregnancy and childbirth really is a time when we face our human fragility and our mortality, especially when it's part of the family story. I hope you are able to find the birthing option that feels right for you and that you trust! Good luck in your TTC journey!

xx

Lorin Guest

I have spoken to my GP and she has told my they wont know if i need one till 36, 37 weeks, i am now at 34 and a half weeks so not long now till i find out. I guess i will just go with the flow with what ever, as i have been told already that they just dont do it if it is not necessary.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

There is an article on the main site about what to expect after a caesarean - http://www.bellybelly.com.au/articles/birth

Also HypnoBirthing has proven to be very successful also for turning breech babies, in a control study of 200 babies, 100 the control group and 100 hypnobirthing, the results were amazing. Of the control group around 20 turned and hypnobirthing 80 something. Huge difference. Many in the birth industry feel that one reason babies can be breech is that there is stress and / or fear in the mother. It's amazing how quick some have turned with hypnobirthing which is relaxation.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Kelly, One of the midwives I saw with Imran said that she thinks that there are more breech babies now than there used to be and she puts it down to our lifestyles being more sedentary - alot of us work in jobs where we sit down and then we get home and longue on our couches. These positions aren't really presentation friendly. DH of course took it to mean that we should all be doing more housework (especially sweeping and mopping) and stop expecting our husbands to do it :eek: How that man mangages to twist almost any medical opinion into him doing less housework is beyond me LOL.

Lorin, I've had a c-section and a vaginal birth and the recovery from the vaginal birth was a lot faster. If I were going to have more children I would be trying for a VBAC.

Deb, they never cared about my pee at all. They checked the colour while it was still in the bag but once it was out they never asked again. Isn't it funny how differant hospitals can be.

LOL at your DH!!! He's hilarious...

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yep I agree dach, same with posterior presentation - and thats why there is all this optimal fetal positioning going around these days. Things are certainly more sedentary, more stressful with less support and good quality education. I guess it's no surprise really.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I tried to have a vaginal delivery, but was raced in for emergency c-section after hayleigh's heart rate dropped, but I recovered really well from it, I was out shopping 6 days after delivery and felt great, the girl had a vaginal delivery in the room next door and we became friends and she said it took her 7 weeks to feel normal "down there" again, so i guess its really down to the individual really as to how you will recover.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast