Thread: Christmas Lunch

Fruitwood Guest

Default Christmas Lunch

This year for Christmas my hubby's aunt is putting on a big Christmas Lunch. My problem is that it's all cold deli meats, pre packaged salads and cold seafood. I've told her that I can't eat any of this stuff as it may harm the baby but his family don't seem to care. I'm not spending Christmas with my family this year as they are interstate so I know I'll be a little emotional on the day but am already thinking that I'm going to be left out. My family suggested that I take my own hot lunch but I live in Townsville where the thought of a hot lunch isn't very appertising when your sitting in a hot unairconditioned kitchen. Does anyone have any ideas for cold dishes that I would be able to make and add to the table that I could safely eat ? If you don't want to post them here, could you please email them to me at [email protected]

Thankyou so much for your help.

Merry Christmas
    Sharon

How about rice paper/noodle rools, sushi rolls, chicken ceasar salad, chicken mango salad, mini quiches, rice balls.

Melinda Guest

Could you make your own turkey salad perhaps and take that with you? That way if you cook the meat and make the salad yourself, you know it's all fresh and has been thoroughly washed etc etc?

~Sarah~ Guest

Hey Hon....How about a lovely vege lasagne?
    just layers of lasagne, pasta sauce, chesse sauce, sliced pumkin, sliced eggplant/zucinni, spinich and any other veges you enjoy. You can make it the night before while its cool and just serve cold cut it into portions on chrissy day.
    If you are interested let me know and I'll post the recipe for ya.
    BTW Half of the prob with eating deli meats is when they are cut and stored and if the cutting implement has been properly cleaned. Leg Ham that you slice yourself is fine as long as it has been stored properly and you cut it yourself.

In the same vein as Sarah suggested; what about a zucchini or baby spinach type slice/quiche. You can cook it the day before and eat it either cold on Christmas Day or heat it.

Also, what about homemade sausage rolls?

BTW - I googled for recipes and found some fantastic sites out there with great ideas for Christmas foods.

Okay - does this mean you're not allowed to eat seafood during pregnancy???? I'm a big lover of prawns and crayfish and they usually play a big part on Christmas Day....

Fruitwood Guest

Hi, thanks for your replies. I ended up deciding on cooking my own turkey and a silverside the day before and then slicing it to add cold to the the table. I'm also doing a potato salad that I'm going to make christmas morning with no egg mayo. I checked with my midwife and she told me to avoid Ham off the bone if I could because it contains a smoking preservative called Sodium Nitrate or 250 but if I really wanted to on the day a slice or 2 would be ok but nothing more than that and it had to be sliced that day, so I'm going to really enjoy that slice of ham, lol. Although hubby & I have been together for years this is our first christmas as a married couple so I'm really looking forward to it. I hope that everyone else has a magical christmas.

Best Wishes
    Sharon

Seadfood is okay as long as its freshly cooked. Although I ate a couple of 2 hr cold prawns yesterday. Remember our mothers didn't take this much care when they were expecting us and we turned out fine! I really think people stress way too much about food in pregnancy these days!

As for ham off the bone - hubby reckons its fine 'cause its preserved. I ate some but just in case (because of that preservative chemical) I didn't have much.

I even had half a glass of wine yesterday - but won't again until New Year's. Remember there's a lot of women out there using drugs, smoking and alochol so eating a little bit of food we think we shouldn't aren't as bad as that!

Here's to a fabulous 2006 for us all!

All seafood (prawns, lobsters, crabs) that are bought pre-cooked are frozen out at sea. It can be dangerous to buy pre-cooked thawed out versions of these because you don't know how they have been stored, when they were defrosted or if they have been frozen more than once. It's safest to buy raw seafood & cook it yourself or to buy frozen seafood from a proper seafood place (not somewhere like a supermarket).

I had heaps of prawns last Christmas & everything was fine. I bought them from work frozen, got them home frozen & ate them within 2hrs of them being thawed. I had ham as well, but ate it when it was freshly cut on Christmas day. I'll be enjoying the leftovers this year though LOL!

Fruitwood Guest

Hi, alot of people have said that I am being too cautious with what I eat and drink and maybe they are right. This is my first baby and I'm trying to give her the best start possible. Foods 20 plus years ago didn't contain the preservatives or additives that food today contains and there has been alot more research done since then on what effects can be caused by certain foods that we eat. I know at the end of the day if something did go wrong or happened because of something I ate or drank, I would never forgive myself and know that alot of first time mums feel the same. It also goes that those who knock you and say your being too cautious about what you eat and drink will be the first to blame you when god forbid something is wrong with your baby. I think everybody has to do what is right for their own consciouns (not sure how to spell that, lol).

Sharon

How did Christmas go Sharon? Hopefully you managed to eat lots of yummy safe foods.

:smt016 to anyont that says you are over cautious - it's YOUR baby not theirs. You are exactly right saying that everyone has to do what's right for their conscious & if you want to be what some people say is overcautious then that's your decision.

IMO you can never be too careful - prevention is better than cure for sure.