Thread: Exercise and pregnancy - Body Combat/Pump?

Default Exercise and pregnancy - Body Combat/Pump?

Just wondering what others' experience is. Until I found out I was pg, I was working out a lot, doing Body Pump and other cardio classes like Body Combat every day. Since finding out I have dropped some weight in Pump and don't push myself so hard in cardio.

I am wondering if anyone else here has experience doing these classes (or other similar classes) while pg. Am I going to have to stop Combat, even with low impact options? I know I can keep doing Pump for pretty much the whole time, as one of the instructors kept giving the class for almost all of her pregnancy. but I am not sure if I will need to drop more weight or not...

Some input would be great.

Hi Sally,

First of all Congratulations!!!

I also train alot and did so up to a point during my pregnancy. I also had a friend doing step class right up until 2 weeks out, but obviously very low impact.

With weights i was still doing some stuff, but as soon as i started to feel uncomfortable doing it i stopped. I think you have to listen to your body and if you are having any discomfort what so ever than stop. With pump class the weights you use are always going to be lighter than a "weights session" because of the amount of reps you do. During pregnancy a relaxin hormone softens our joints (please correct me if im wrong) so doing heavy weights is not a good idea. There are also a couple of mags around focusing on pregnancy and fitness, you may get a few ideas from them.

My PT advised me to keep my HR below a certain point, can't remember what that was. If your gym has PTers, then it may be worth getting your routine re-jigged and find out what are the more dangerous exercises? Like I was told to keep away from lat pull-downs ...

Good luck!

I know you're meant to keep your HR below 140, and you have to make sure you don't get too hot so your core body temp doesn't rise.

My instructor gave me some info about using 3 risers on the step during chest/triceps tracks in pump, but that's about all so far. I know I can't do sit-ups from 20 weeks.

Hi Sally,

I did Pump and Combat up untill I was around 30 weeks.

With Combat, like you said you just do the low impact options. Instead of running and jumping you just walk

With Pump you can do all the tracks with lower weights, only you know what is right for you. With the tricep and chest tracks tilt your bench so you have three or four under one side and two under the other and that way your not lying flat on your back. After a while I felt like I didn't want to do the clean and press as I was knocking my stomach so instead I just did the triple row (it fits with the music).

With both it's best not to do the ab tracks. Instead I either did them with my legs bent or later, just concentrated on my pelvic floor muscles or oyu can go on all fours and extend your right arm and left leg and then swap to strengthen your back(or take the opertunity to go to the loo - I did!).

Make sure you tell the instructor and she'll advise you more than I can but there is no reason to stop. My stomach went back down really quickly after the birth and i'm sure it's because of all the exercise I did.

Also with the heart rate thing, the best way to judge it is to see if you could have enough breath to have a conversation while you exercise - if you can't then you need to slow down. Also wear layers so you can strip off and not get too hot.

Hope this helps

Thanks Rachel! When did you stop doing the abs? I was leafing through a book today that suggested stopping them from 12 weeks, but I always thought you could go a bit longer.

I dropped my weights a bit at the beginning, I guess I can continue with the ones I have until I feel uncomfortable.

I think I stopped pretty much as soon as I found out. I still tightened my tummy whilst doing other exercises but not full on crunches and things.

I did slow down alot though as I felt really tired quite often so make sure you don't over do it!

My trainer said they don't either recommend or discourage you from them. He did say that pump can be tricky as your ligaments loosen as the back ones can be a bit dangerous for putting out your back. But if you are careful & listen to your body I don't see why you can't continue.

JoJo Guest

I'm pg with twins and the OB and even the PT at the gym advise people pg with twins not to do any serious exercise, except a gentle walk or swim. Apparently with the two it puts too much pressure on the body and my Body Pump instructor said she just went on a course where they are advised to tell people pg with twins not to do any of their classesl. I tried to do pump really early on in pg but had to drop weights to basically nothing and got tired very easily.

Apparently Body Balance (combination of Pilates/Yoga/Tai Chi) is good or any of those individually.

Anyway thought i'd mention it in case anyone else is pg with twins.

Jo

That's good to know Jo. It must be a huge strain on your body with 2 bubs to grow!!

Body Balance is seriously the best class in the world! Even for not pregnant people! But don't do it before a day of housework or it will never get done! After a class I feel so relaxed and it is great for your flexability