Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hospital stay after bubs is born...

I stayed in AS LONG as they let me LOL. Mainly to get the hang of BF, the new bubs, someone else was cooking, etc etc etc. Good luck.

4 nights for us.

Dunno whats going to happen this time around?

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip
    I am going to a birthing centre where you are only allowed to stay for a maximum of 24 hours after the birth, then a midwife visits you at home, do you think this is too short?
    Tulip, I don't think 24 hours is too short. I went home about a day after Yasin was born and in IMO just so long as you have a supportive home environment and good follow-up care its much more relaxing and comfy to be at home than in hospital. The midwives who visited me at home were fantastic. They really helped me establish breastfeeding, they stayed for as long as they needed to on each visit and never made me feel rushed and they kept visiting every day for as long as I needed them. The only reasons that I'm probably not choosing the same option again are because DH is not good at enforcing visiting hours and I've moved further from the hospital and I'm not sure how far the midwives travel.

My first i stayed 8 days due to her having complications but my second i had him at 1.26 in the morning i was packed up and ready to go home at 5 am but the talked me into going to my local hospital which was only 10 mins from my DH and Home so we went there for another 48 hrs i released myself cause it was my birthday and i really didn't want to spend it in hospital when there was nothing wrong with me nor with my bub
    This one is going to be another story i am wanting to stay as long as possible so i can get this BF thing down pat before going it alone 8-[ but i think my hospital boots you out after 24 hrs so i have been told but we will see

I stayed for 4 nights with Nicholas.

i stayed in hospital for 6 days i had emer c/section however i developed an infection and so did my DD, this time i will also stay in as long as possable so i can get bf down pat

I stayed about 30 hours. We had the nurses coming to us at home though and i found that much better as it was the same one every day and i want being told to feed one way and then another way by the next nurse. I had babies in my room too that screamed day and night so i was ver yglad to go home so soon other than the food being brought to my bed!

For my first birth Ruby was born early in the morning and I left hospital the next day (I had compliations with the epidural otherwise I would have left sooner!)
    For Finn he was a birth centre baby and he was born at 1 in the morning. We went home that afternoon.
    Lucy was a birth centre baby and she was born a 6.30pm. We went home the next morning.
    Eva was born at 10.24pm and she was born in a birth centre (private one) also but I chose to stay for a few days as we were living in our shed whilst our house was being built. I fancied the rest and not worrying about meals!
    My children were all at the births of their siblings. We had a family room and our whole family was together after the baby was born. It was very special counting fingers and toes together... The children only stayed 1 night when Eva was born and then they went home with Daddy.

I had very good support at home and felt confident. For me it was important to be in my own surroundings and that is why I wanted to be at home.
    For my next baby I will do just what I did for Evas birth and I probably will stay a little longer, only because our house hold is hectic and it is nice to just have some one on one time with a new baby. But having said that I will probably miss my other babies too much and just wanna be home!
    Love and blessings,
    Deb

I was in from Sat 3am till the next Sat lunchtime so 7 days. I had a caesar and went Private.

I had a c/s and was in from Tuesday afternoon (Matthew was born at 5.17pm) until the following Tuesday Morning. I wanted to stay as long as possible to make sure I was feeding properly but I didn`t have to worry about that as Matthew attached straight away and just knew what to do, I was also in a bit of pain so I wanted to make sure I was happy to go home.

I went privately and was in 2 different hospitals.

i have private insurance but hated being in hospital

first baby stayed in 3 days natural birth

second home 1 day natural birth

third c-section home 2 days

love beckles

Zander was born 1.27am Sunday and we went home at 1.00pm Wednesday so 3.5 days. I had an emergency c/s and had lots of dramas but I hated the midwives so we left.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I too went to a birth centre with Zaki. I went in at 1am, had Zaki at 4.03am and was at MacDonald's having a soft serve at 2pm! So all up, I was there just under 13 hours.

I don't regret it. I missed my other kids and my own bed. I had some home help but XH was not good with housework so I just ignored the mess and concentrated on looking after the bub and the toddlers. I slept better in my own bed and the nurse saw Zaki every day so I knew he was doing well.

This time, I'm not going to a birth centre. At 35, I don't feel as 'capable' of a drug free birth as I did at 24! I also wanted my IVF doctor (now my obgyn) to deilver the baby, so was willing go to whichever hospital he works from.

Nevertheless, I've discussed at length with Dr and DH that should I want to leave, that my Dr will do his utmost to make sure I can go. The hospital has tentatively booked me in for 3 nights, but I can stay less or more than that as I request, baby's and my health permitting.

I have stayed 5 days (with Shay) and 13 hours (with Zaki), and I liked the short stay best of all!.

love
    sushee

I was in for 7 days and Eliza was in for 14 days, when we did transfer hospitals I got to stay another night to see how I coped, all the other days she was in SCN

With Nick, I was in hospital for 6 nights including the night I was induced and he ended up being an emergency c-section

With Ryan I was in hospital the whole week leading up to his birth due to high blood pressure and he ended up being another c-setion because he turned breech at the last minute and i stayed for 3 nights after his birth

With my DS I had him at 1:45pm on tuesday and left hospital by 5pm on wednesday so 1 day, and with my DD I had her at 4:45pm on thursday and left the hospital at 2:30pm on friday so not even 24 hrs, I hated being there so much that I told them I was ok but I really should have stayed in longer as I lost some blood during labour and my iron levels had dropped severly so at home I took iron suplements and was ok in a few days but it was hard so with #3 I will try to stay for the full 3 days ( as I am going public ) but if I don't get a private room I dont think I will stay long I hate feeling as though I am in the way and being a disturbance to others and the stress levels run high so we will see

I also hated being in hospital. I had a c/s on the Saturday arvo and left Wednesday morning after lots of begging! The midwives were driving me insane, and Kaleb just cried all the time so I felt awful about keeping the other 3 mums awake all night.

A friend of mine had her baby (about 10 days ago) in a birthing centre at 5pm and was discharged at 7:30pm so was only in there for about 2 hours after the baby was born. She has been having visits from the midwifes and everything is going well, but thats the shortest time i've ever heard. Apparently this particular birthing centre doesn't let you stay at night after the baby is born and if you want to stay in a hospital you have to arrange to stay somewhere else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12