Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: methadone pregency

seekinghelp Guest

Default methadone pregency

hi all was wondering does any one have any input on pregency while on methadone

or has any one been thru this or know of any been thru it

we r seeking med help

been on the meth prog 1 month

been using 20+yrs

Seeking Help...
    Welcome to BB.....
    My sister is a user & was using whilst on methadone as well she has a pill addiction...

Her daughter was born via c/sect & my niece had withdrawals, shaking, fitting , pain & cramping for a few weeks/months...

I would think if you can stay off the gear & anything else other than the methadone (if that helps to keep you clean) & you desperately want the best for your baby then it is a step in the right direction.
    I have heard numerous stories about her friends that have not been so lucky with their babies & there have been many sad outcomes, I wont get into it all though...
    Obviously it would be best if there were no drugs, chemicals etc passed on to the unborn child, but addictions are not easy to kick!
    I wish you luck & I pray that you can stay off it to give your child a great life & future..

hey there,
    my dad who is a doctor said there appears no untoward effects on the baby accept of course that the baby will be dependent and will have to be weaned off the drug. No mental or physical effects otherwise. Good luck and keep up the amazing work.

Hiya,
    Don't know anyone who's been on methodone whilst pregnant...but just wishing you guys the best. Hope your next month is easier than the first.
    Last edited by chocolatecatty; November 20th, 2006 at 11:41 AM. Reason: corrections made (thanks Caro).

Hello,
    Firstly I just wanted to say good on you for taking the harder path. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to stop taking a drug like heroin. How long does the methadone program last? I have absolutely no knowledge so this may be a really stupid question, but Is there anyway that someone can be weaned off the methadone whilst being pregnant? Just so its not as difficult on the baby when it's born. I don't know how long the program goes on for.
    Last edited by hannanat; November 20th, 2006 at 11:31 AM.

oh okay, caro, thanks.

Seekinghelp, I wish you, your partner and your little baby the best of health and luck.
    Last edited by hannanat; November 20th, 2006 at 12:26 PM.

Yes, it did sound like that, didnt it, lol. I'll edit it.

seekinghelp Guest

hi thanx for that we are seeking medical help we are also tring to find other

couples or single females who have gone thru this

we both knew what problems would arise out of this pregency we want a child together the road wont be easy a decision we made together

thanx

the meth programe takes as long as it takes if that makes sense

some people never get of it

my partner has only been on the programme for 1month

she also suffers from depression and anxiotey

she hope to be able to start to wean herself of it 1 month at a time

myself am not on any programme cold turkey clean 4 yrs

am just doing the best for my partner in any way i can

thanx to all who have replied type to u all soon

thanx for your reply glad to hear you have another on the way

is it strange for a guy to be on a how do i say female forum

it wasd the first one i come across not real good on computers

hi am curious to hear of some of those stories you cant tell here

no i am not a sick puppy who is into sickthings

just reality is was im looking for

not sure how to communicate out side this forum can send you an email addy

you can let me know thanx

hey thanx for that your dad being a doctor just give me a boost

im in the inner west also might have crossed paths

thanx

Good luck, seekinghelp. It's fantastic that you're going through together and can support each other. I have only the greatest admiration for both of you for your strength of character - I only know second hand how difficult herion addiction is. Wishing your partner a happy and healthy pregnancy.

Hi there seeking help,

Caro is right - it is really important that your methadone prescriber is aware of your partners pregnancy as soon as possible, so as she can get the most appropriate care (ie: dose / support services). Methadone treatment during pregnancy is very common and there are support services in all major cities to care for the mother and newborn directly after birth. The prescriber/ treatment agency will be able to give you this information.

Also, NA may be an avenue to go down to seek other couples who have gone through this. I am not sure if you are an active user - if so your local needle exchange may be able to link you into a support group. If your not a user - family drug help line is a good resource for links to support groups/ Q& A. Otherwise, your states drug and alcohol information line have a huge data base of different services/ support groups offered in your area.

Lilly
    (Drug & Alcohol worker on maternity leave)

Hi there seeking help,

just read your most recent posts - congratulations on being 4 years clean! Thats fantastic!!

Lilly

seekinghelp Guest

hey thanx lilly my partner has been thru all the the programmes out there but not very sucessfull she has relapsed every time

we have been together for just over 15 months i give her all the encougagement time and what ever else

she is very scared and carries a lot of baggage she cant get rid of

thanx again

Seekinghelp,
    The best thing is that you are a strong shoulder for her to lean on, support & advice is what she will need from you...
    I know my sister dragged her partner back into the drug scene & he is back behind bars, where he had been clean for quite sometime... I hope you are stronger than him!

I hope that you being clean for 4 yrs (which is a massive achievement & I am proud of you for achieving) gives you the strength to help your partner & try to keep her focussed on the well being of the baby rather than her addictive needs...

When I had my youngest baby, my sister came in to see her & she said she had just seen a friend whose baby was born so addicted to heroin that it was basically brain dead & the staff had kept her alive for 13 wks already, the parents were not ready to say goodbye to their baby.... She was about 30wks into her pregnancy when she started bleeding & rather than get assistance she decided she'd have 1 last hit...
    The baby girl ended up passing away on the second day that I was in the hospital approx 13.5 wks after her birth & I saw the couple in the hospital they were totally out of it... I guess I couldnt help but wonder why God would bless these people with a beautiful innocent child when they quite obviously didnt realise how totally lucky they were... I also felt sad that they had to experience this & it probably would never be dealt with by either of them & so in turn would feed their addiction forever... I also felt a sense of peace that the baby didnt have to go home with them as parents... I know it might sound cruel, but they were definately not aware of what they'd need to do to care properly for a baby!!!

This is just 1 story that I witnessed...

I think the key is to find out as much as you can & to get your partners headspace & priority on the baby that she is carrying & remind her daily there is a beautiful human being inside of her that will be so dependent on her... Tell her how proud you are of her as she reaches goals, milestones in her attempt to get clean, I really dont know... I wish you every success in the future the fact your trying to get as much info as possible is certainly commendable!!!

seeking help, I dont realy have any advice to add to what the others have said, but wanted to say a huge congratulations for being clean for 4 years that is fantastic, I really hope your partner is able to find the help she needs. good luck

A girl I used to work with had a pregnancy whilst on methadone. From memory she had been on the methadone program for around 6 months.

She lost the baby at around 17 weeks pregnant. But I don't know if she was fully following the program at that stage, or if she had had a backward slide to using again. (She had been functioning well at work whilst on the methadone program, but then started taking a fair bit of time off when she found out she was pregnant so I knever really knew if she felt ill from the pregnancy or had gone back to her old ways.........)

I never found out the casue of her losing the baby either, but 17 weeks is a late loss, and not that common.

chelleg Guest

Hi seeking help I'm a midwife who regularly works on the high risk antenatal ward where we often care for women during the initial methadone stabiliation period, anytime during the anteatal period and also in the postnatal period.
    I'm not sure where you are, so i'm not sure what sort of services your hospital will provide. Where i work, we have a group of midwives who are specifically dedicated to supporting D&A mothers - so the women on methadone or the women who continue to use in pregnancy. These midwives work very closely with social workers and D&A nurses to provide a supportive framework for the women during and after pregnancy. Do you know if your hospital has anything similar to this?
    I think the key factor is support. Your partner needs the support of people who aren't using - like yourself, congrats! - and i guess the focus of doing the absolute best for the baby.
    In practical terms, Methadone is quiet safe in pregnancy - certainly safer than Heroin! There can be complications but your hospital should be monitoring you closely. After your baby is born, he or she is likely to suffer withdrawal symptoms which wont be pleasant, however these will also be monitored by the midwives and doctors in conjunction with the neonatologists. We usually 'score' the baby and if the baby starts to score high he/she will be reviewed by the doctors and usually started on morphine to relieve the symptoms. We teach the parents how to give the morphine as often the babies will go home on it. At my hospital, we like the women who have been on Methadone to stay for at least 7 days so we can properly observe for signs and symptoms of withdrawal.
    Hope that helps a little

seekinghelp Guest

hi thanx for that it sounds like u work in a good enviroment im sure it must also be hard at times we live in sydney so im sure all those services are available

we are seeking professional medical help we are also just getting out there if u know what i mean thanx again

Seekinghelp - firstly congratulations on your partners pregnancy. It is an amazing journey. I used to work in a special care nursery and often would care for babies who were withdrawing from chemicals. As chelleg mentioned, depending on their 'scores' they may be commenced on oral morphine and slowly weaned off that until they are no longer dependent. The hospital i worked at offered a program that sounded very similar to what chelleg was talking about- there are a lot of supports in the public system (can't speak for private system) for women that are dependent on drugs. Most of the babies that i have cared for, with the appropriate medical attention, have come through fine - although it was a hard battle for them (and their parents). It is great that your partner is attempting to beat the addiction and it sounds like she has a great support person from yourself. Good luck with everything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast