Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: methadone pregency

seekinghelp Guest

hi thanx for your kind words and support

my partner is xtremly concerned i to know how big a problem it is but i tend to look at

the whole picture not just now she is very confused at the moment which is why i am here not her she does read everything i send and all the replies we get

thanx again

jo sus

Hi seekinhelp - I am so proud of you for "seeking help" as you are and for having the guts to ask these difficult things on an open forum..... your little one is going to need both of you in the best state possible. as already said support is the main thing she needs right now... and maybe seeing a baby go through withdrawls might help her to understand the neccesity of cleaning up... Congrats to her for taking the hard step to realise her problem and getting on the meth program in the first place alot of people dont !.......

I hope you guys can dind some of the support you need on here ... It is a great site with some great advice and support.....

Congrats again on your effort and mate keep it up.. it can only bring good.. !!

Hi Seekinhelp,

Firstly, congratulations on being clean yourself and also to your partner for wanting assistance with this. I work in a drug and alcohol clinc in Melbourne. We actually deal with a lot of pregnant women on the program and one of our docs has done some extensive research into the effects of methadone and buprenorphine on the mother and child.
    As several of the others have said, methadone is relatively safe for mother and baby during pregnancy. It is also a much better option than other substances which she might be taking. It is tough, but going on the program can be tough anyway. As a couple of other people have written, the chances of the baby being smaller on delivery are increased. However, the baby is normally pretty good. Occassionally there is a withdrawal period for the baby and they will sometimes need to spend time in special care nursery. There are dose limits which are considered safe but you would need to discuss that with the docs at the clinic she attends. I would also just like to float the idea to you about buprenorphine. There is research that suggests that this is perhaps a better alternative to methadone for some women. There is evidence that babies born to mothers on bupe are more often born in the "normal" weight and APGAR categories. Whether or not your partner is a suitable candidate for bupe will be dependent on her history of using amongst other things and a decison that will ultimately be up to the treatment team.
    There are some teriffic clinics in NSW that will be able to assist your partner with this and it is strongly advisable that she goes and has a chat with someone about her needs and what the clinic can offer her. Even if one clinic can't help her (for example, they may not be taking any clients on at the moment) or the clinic doesn't suit her, keep trying until you can find something suitable. It can sometimes be a bit rough travelling from clinic to clinic so it might be better to call them and speak to their intake worker. You can ask them if they can also recomend somewhere close to you that suits your needs.

Good luck with your journey and all the best. Don't be afraid to contact centres and ask for help.

MG

seekinghelp - I wish you and your partner all the best for your new little family, and hope you can find the help you need.

seekinghelp Guest

hey thanx for those words of encouragement we off to see the clinic doctor to day

and on monday off to rpah to speak with a lady who runs drugs in pregnancy

hopefully that will ease my partners mind

thanx again for your kind words and encouragement

jo sus

Hi seekinghelp,

let us know how you go....
    Good luck.

kirsty Guest

Wishing you guys all the very best & congratulations on your pregnancy. Hope all goes well at the Dr's & you get the help you are seeking.

HI,

I would like to say I admire you for your achievements and the fact that you have left your comfort zones and getting on the computer to talk to people and seek out information and support show that you have grown as a person and I feel really positive that your choice to get clean is a life long choice for you. I have to ask though do you share the positive responces on the forum with your partner. Knowing that there are so many people out there either with experience, knowledge or just being open minded and non judgemental may be a real boost for her. And also seeing how much you care for her and your unborn child, enough to go out and seek support it is very touching. I hope she realises how lucky she is.

lots of love and hopes to a happy and healthy baby at the end of your journey

seekinghelp Guest

hi kungfubecca

i actually went looking for info advice and answers of my own accord

but came across this forum by accident

being a female forum if i can say that made it a bit awarked for me thats why in my first thread or comment that i put out there i mentioned i was a male seeknhelp for my partner

she reads everything i post and reads all the replies weather pos or neg

i give suz all the encouragement i can do what ever i can for her and child

she carries a lot of baggage from her past drugs relationships everything

i personally believe this is her biggest downfall you cant compare yesterday with today
    if u know what i mean

we both have used for over 20+ years i managed to get off and have done so for the last 4yrs

for her the road to being clean has not been so easy in the last 14 months her best attempt has been 1month

she has just relapsed again this week not to h but to alcohol which is another addicition she battles

the road to recovery is xtremly hard only users know that i struggle every day even after 4yrs

but her well being is more important for now then child then me

ive waffled on a bit sorry

yes she reads all posts and replies

thanx for taking time to read

regard me jo her suz

ps what colour belt r u

Hi seekinghelp,

Congratulations to you on 4 years clean, and to your partner for making it one month onto the methadone program. I work in an agency which supports people living with alcohol and other drug issues including withdrawal, counselling, and the methadone program. My first advice would be to talk to the methadone prescriber - not just about methadone, but about the normal things they give you advice about when you are over 40 and pregnant. They may be able to find you and your partner some extra support if that is what you need.

Also, I find that a really good source of info is the DrugInfo Clearing House (Australian Drug Foundation). Here's some helpful and positive information on methadone and pregnancy from them:

Pregnancy and breastfeeding

Pregnant women who are dependent on opiates are encouraged to enter a methadone program as early as possible into their pregnancy, as it is likely to result in fewer complications than the use of other opiates, such as heroin. This is because:

the unexpected periods of drug withdrawal experienced by pregnant women using other opiates (that can be harmful to the baby) do not occur when on a daily dose of methadone;
    the lifestyle of women is often enhanced when on methadone treatment, resulting in improved nutrition and less stress, which all contribute to a healthier baby; and
    methadone supplied by a pharmacy or treatment centre hasn't been cut/mixed with any other potentially harmful substance that may be passed on to the baby.
    Like all opiates, methadone crosses the placenta to the unborn child. Many of the babies born to methadone-dependent mothers go through withdrawal at birth. Their symptoms vary in length and strength. These can be successfully treated while the baby is still in hospital. Overall, women using methadone have fewer problems during their pregnancy than those who continue to use heroin.

As small amounts of methadone may be passed on through breast milk, mothers that are on a methadone program are often encouraged to breastfeed in order to help ease the baby's withdrawal from methadone. Methadone has been found to reach its maximum level in breast milk between two and four hours after a dose, therefore feeding the baby just before a dose or taking the methadone just before the baby has a long sleep will reduce the amount available to the baby.

HI,
    I hope you didn't think I was implying that your strugle would not stop, but your sacrifices are admirable.
    I have to let you know I am kungfu in name not nature. My DH picked that nickname out for me about 8 years ago for no apparent reason and it has just stuck. It's always my log in.

As you both read the posts I want you both to know that even though most of us have no idea what you both go through on a daly basis, we still care and will be as supportive as possible. This isn't a place of judgement. I would encourage your partner that when she feels the need to follow her vices that she let reading and posting in places like the belly belly forum be her addiction, not the substances.

seekinghelp Guest

hey kungfu

i know you wernt impling that and i know we are not being judged by any one out there

over the years i have become extremly thick skined i try and take nothing personal

its funny that you mention suz substitutes belly belly for other substances i have suggested she substitute anything

how ever she feels embarresed and uncomfortable to speak about it even though you dont know her or cant see her

myself on the other hand am very open and comfortable with my past am also extemely ashamed i appreciate all the support advise that comes across this site am extremly greatfull to you all thanx it makes my burden a little lighter

thanx again

That's the beauty of a forum - you can seek the help you need while still retaining your anonimity if you want. We are not here to judge either of you for the life choices you have made, but we are here to give you both support and encouragement if you need it. The road ahead for both of you may not be easy at times, but if you ever need a shoulder to cry on or to let it all out, there will be someone here ready to lend you an ear.

Hi Jo and Suz

, How are you both going - i have had some drug problems in the past but mine (before pregnancy) was meth and ecstasy, and weed... i feel bad saying this on her now because this is the first time i have revealed it to everyone on here... But you know what i understand how it feels to be addicted and to want stuff you know is bad for you.... i went through a really hard time there for a few years.. but i would never want it any other way it has shaped the perosn i am now and i still like to get off tap but i have a child inside me that didnt ask for any of this.. it was a descision i made to have a baby and its a decision i made to not have the stuff now...and my kid needs a level headed mum and dad ..that can protect it from that crap...

So you arnt alone on here we arnt all model people... some of us and i am sure there are more ... who have made a few mistakes and can now offer you support because they have come through the other side doing ok...

at least Suz hasnt gone back to the H and if she can stay that way she and bubs will be so much better off.... for the sake of bubs she needs to.

but i am glad she has a great partner like yourself who knows this and wants to help her change not re-enforce her problem...

Suz, i encourage you to not feel embarrased... we are all here to help and support you through this noone will give you a hard time we are here for support and advice.. soem ladies on here are midwifes and people that work in maternity wards etc... hunny you couldnt ask for better support.... So i hope to see you write something soon...
    Meegs
    Last edited by meegm; November 27th, 2006 at 08:51 AM.

seeking help... you are so courageous (sp) to come on a forum and ask questions that were probably hard to ask not knowing how you would be recieved. i have been on and off drugs since age 9(i am currently 21) heroin, speed, pills pot whatever i could get my hands on and it is only recently that i have been clean of all of them and its only been at most a month since i relapsed... i too am desperately ttc...
    congratulations on your pregnancy!!!
    your gilfriend is so lucky to have someone like you to be there for her, especially someone who knows how it feels as you never truley understand if u havn't been through it.
    although i don't have any advice for you guys i just wanted to say good on you for being clean and standing by your partner when she needs you the most!!! all the best for your pregnancy

seekinghelp Guest

hi noni e

thanx for sharing that with us its not an easy road i was 11 when i started and suz about 18

now im 44 suz 38

suz also took anything and every to the max good on you for getting clean abstain from all appearences of evil which is very hard in this world we live

there are so many people out there who would love to bring us undone

i work as a brikkie labrour full of alchos and druggos they know im clean 4yrs yet constantly offer drugs and grog they tell me my life is so boring my reply you guys r the LOOSERS

any how thanx for that suz will appreciate reading that knowing you both have form so to speak
    thanx again

im sure when suz reads this it will give her such a good rush

she recently relapsed not to drugs but alcohol

stay strong she'll get through its just one day at a time

seekinghelp Guest

yeah thanx

how hard is that one day ????????

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast