Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No medicare rebate on Nuchal test?

Matryoshka Guest

Default No medicare rebate on Nuchal test?

I really can't remember if i got money back for the nuchal test/scan with DS, i think i did but i couldn't be sure. This time i went to claim it as i got money back on my "dating" scan. She told me it was not covered. Is this because i'm 27 and i chose to have the test? It doesn't say anywhere on the receipt my age or that it was my choice but perhaps they put a a code on it if you actually needed the test.

What do you think?

DW (who is a midwife) says that you pay for it if you are under 35 at the time of the scan.

Matryoshka Guest

Yes i did pay for it on the day, but when i took the receipt to medicare, thinking i'd get some portion of the $155 back, medicare told me they don't cover it.

I had the nuchal scan + blood test. The blood test was fully covered under medicare so I did not have to pay for it, but the scan was $240. I went to medicare, and they gave me back about $60.
    I was 22 at the time, and chose to have the test.

maybe the place you had scan at already gave you back the rebate from medicare, in the form of a discount, iykwim?

At that point I was shared care with my GP and birth centre and my GP just wrote on the referral to bulk bill and I haven't had to pay out of pocket for any of my scans. I had a 8 week, 12 week with bloods, 20 week, amnio with fish results, and all the GD tests.

I had my 12 week scan done at a place that bulk billed it- so I guess that means it was all covered by medicare. I had the blood test done elsewhere and got some of that back on medicare- I paid about $50 I think.

Matryoshka Guest

I just don't understand the inconsistency...... why are some people getting rebates and i am not?

I rang medicare and they said the receipt needs and item number to be covered, i rang the scan place and they said it has no item number because it is not covered. How annoying.

I paid $120 for my nuchal scan and got about $60 back from medicare. I am 33 years old.

I had mine at 13weeks & hadnt had a dating scan, and I got around $65 back, It cost about $95 out of my pocket (bout $160 all up)

It depends on the purpose of the nuchal fold, your age, how high risk the pregnancy is etc.

If you qualify for the Medicare Safety Net, I think you would get some back from that.....so you should get the item number JIC.

I did not have to pay for the scan but I did get a bill for the blood test. I took it to medicare and got all but $20 back.
    I am 31
    Melissa

I thought it depended on how many you have had and once you go over that it is no longer covered!

When i got my referral the dr said it owuld be bulk billed, and when i got there i found out the place i went to doesnt bulk bill, and it actually just meant i got a slight medicare refund- it was lucky i had the cash on me as the dr said he ticked the bulk bill section- i am only 27 but i have had a few dramas in my previous pregnancies. My last pregnancy i got a ratio chance of 1:650 for downs when i was only 25, which is why the dr insisted i have the nt scan again this time. It cost me $135 with a rebate of about $55 so i was $70 out of pocket

I was told years ago by my dr that you are intitled to one scan to be bulk billed during your pregnancy- however in all of my pregnancies i have never been given a bulk billed scan EVER( i was sooo excited when the dr said it would be!!) i have always had to pay. Although i think its because the bulk billed one is for the 18-19 weeks morphology scan- which i generally choose to get a 3D/4D scan- which isnt bulk billed at all ever.

I agree the inconsistency is amazing, and so very wrong.

I can't believe the inconsistencies. I've never asked for a test they have all been offered to me as development appropriate tests. I thought everyone had them as a matter of course! I've had my US done at Bensons Radiology and my blood tests at either IMVS or the blood place next to the clinic I go to. They've done so many blood tests on me, the hospital even had me tested for thallesaemia the other week because I've got anaemia!

The only things I've had to pay for are the medications I've had to have, ie for MS, iron tablets etc. I had the same experience when I had Miss 3, so I was 28 then and 32 now. I have private cover but I've gone as a public patient both times and have been really satisfied with my treatment.

I got some money back from medicare for the scan and for the blood tests - I think from memory about 1/2 of it was claimable.

MummaB - I am 29 years old. Had my NT scan at 13 weeks and had to pay $135.50. I had my scan done at SouthCoast Radiology (QLD) and asked the lady when I paid if I could claim any of it back through Medicare - she said no On my receipt it says "criteria not met" - dunno what the 'criteria' are though.

I am not too concerned about not being able to claim this one. I would rather claim the next one at 19 weeks as it is going to be $290!!! I am having a 4D scan and the scan will also be recorded on DVD.

The NT scan is not viewd as "necessary" and for most people is not claimable becuase of that reason, which is why over 35 you can claim it or in ther high risk circumstances.
    Some radiology places do bulk bill but it varies even within the same company (MIA where I went dont bulk bill but they do in another suburb etc)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast