Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pregnancy & Headaches

Default Pregnancy & Headaches

I have been getting lots of headaches since getting pregnant. Does anyone know of any drug free remedies?

Melinda Guest

I have had a lot of headaches as well. Unfortunately I don't know of any drug-free remedies, but panadol is quite safe to take during PG. I try to avoid it where possible, but if I really need something, then I will take a panadol or two. It always helps just to get into a dark room for a while and to lie down for a while....and sometimes putting a cold face washer on my forehead helps.

hmmm.. unhappy to report that i had my first migraine in ages today - and first one while p/g
    i usually vomit up aspirin anyways, so what i usually do is just go to bed, make it really dark and go to sleep. what others recommend is also cold compress on the head and warm one on the feet - but i am not sure if that just works for migraines or headaches too.. but maybe worth a try.

there is also a peppermint oil which you can rub on your temples and is supposed to help ( i believe peppermint oil is safe in pregnancy - any herbalists here??)

snowy

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Something I used to do which was fabulous - get a heat wheat pack (a long shaped one) and while lying down, drape it over your face, eg. eyes and temples. It was soooooo good.

It's not a good idea to put any undiluted oils on the skin as it's very concentrated, so perhaps this one you would be best tackled with someone qualified. I am sure you could burn it in an oil burner though, also try burning lavender also geranium for headaches. Yummy! If you check out the aromatherapy article on the main site, I have listed many different ways of using oils.

Good luck!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Melinda Guest

Just wanted to point out that asprin is a no-go during PG unless it has been specifically prescribed for you by a Doctor (there are sometimes reasons why PG women must take a low dose of asprin, otherwise it should be avoided). So, if you have a headache, just go for panadol if you do need to take something.

good point tootie im glad someone is on the ball!

I'm not pregnant but to cure my headache I usually have a cool but wamr shower and just sit there and close my eyes and let the water pour over my head and it seems to help alot , or i do the same thing but in the bath and just put my head a little bit under the water..
    other then that i take come panadol and have a lie down for an hour or so untill it goes away..

there was something in england when i was pregnant that the doc gave me it was called tiger balm or something i honestly cant remember but u rub it on your temples and my god it was fabulous!! it got rid of my headache in litterally minutes it was fantastic, i only wish i could remember exactly what it was called so i could use it again

Lesley

Orkids Guest

There is also a pressure poing in the webbing between your thumb and pointing finger. If you squeeze the muscle in there it can help headaches (helps mine anyway). FWIW I got some NASTY headaches in the first trimester, but havent had them lately.

Thanks for the tips. Its nice to know that I can pop a panadol if the headaches get too nasty but I'll try to stick to the other cures.

I woke up at 4am with an awful migrane last night... took a panadol and massage from DH with a heat pack afterwards... and got back to sleep amazingly enough... its still sore, but nothing like what it was!!

Christy

Unhappy Headaches

Hi,

Just found out on Sunday that I am pg with first bub (yay) and I have had a headache since Saturday I normally suffer from some pretty bad headaches and nurofen normally works or I go to bed early.

Has anyone got any natural ways to cure a headache? I know that panadol is OK to take but I want to use that as a last thing if nothing else works.

Thanks!

Best way :--- you have to trust me and atleast try it

Get a small towel, or hand towel and thoroughly wet it through. Then wring it out so its not dripping and put it in the microwave on high for about a minute or so until its steaming hot.

Wait until its JUST bearable to touch on your skin and wrap it around the back of your neck really tightly underneath your skull and pull it toward the front like you are trying to strangle yourself.

Keep it pulled tightly until its not hot anymore and see if that works. This garantees more blood flow into the head and really does help.

Try it now and let me know

hmm well I am at work now and I think everyone will think that I am weird! LOL

hmm but if you say only keep it there until it is not hot anymore then maybe I could just take a long toilet break! hmm is a tea towel ok?!

yep try that! Normally its better if you can use a fluffy thickish type one, but yep try it! And because its thin really strangle yourself with it

Thanks Danni I am going out to the shops later so I will pick myself up a nice fluffy towel.

My head doesnt seem to hurt when I move around tho! Office is fairly hectic at the moment so cant reall hide away in the bathroom! I will try it soon. Thanks Danni

Youre welcome! I really hope it works for you. I suffered from mirgaines and headaches for WAY too long before someone recommended this and I cant thank them enough

Wow danni I will have to try that one day!!!! Sounds good.

Danni - I just tried it! It felt really nice.. I think I need a fluffier towel tho! hehe Still got my headache tho, just not as bad.

Emma - I drink heaps of water but cant really rest when I am at work but I can slack off a bit.

What about a wheat pack? does that work the same as a hot towel would?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast