Thread: Is this Sciatica?

Matryoshka Guest

Default Is this Sciatica?

I have this persistent pain in my right butt, it radiates down my thigh too and is quite bad in the evenings/nights. Could this be sciatica? think i had it last time but can't remember.

Sounds like how my sciatica is, so i would say that it is. I find yoga and swimming help with it a lot or you could try a bit of Physio.

Matryoshka Guest

I had physio last time but i don't have anyone i can leave my DS with this time so not sure if i could manage that again.

Any idea why its only on one side? wonder if its anything to do with being right handed?

Sounds like the sciatic pain that I used to have before I was pregnant and during the early part of this pregnancy. I think the sciatic nerve might be located slightly on right side of the body, but I could be wrong.

Yeah i was always lead to believe that the nerve that causes the sciatic pain is on the right side, therefore the pain is only on the right side.

Definately is sciatic pain. The sciatic nerve actually runs down your spine and then splits in 2 to run through both butt cheeks and down your legs. You can get sciatic pain on either side, or both (I have sciatic pain on my left, just through my bum). The pain is generally caused by that nerve getting pinched.

I spoke to my MW about it and she suggested physio, which I know isn't really an option for you B. Only thing I can suggest is maybe some yoga, or swimming. I know for me that walking actually made it worse.

Just take it easy, and I have found that it does eventually go away.

My best remedy for sciatic pain is to sit on the floor with both legs to the side (knees bent and one the opposite side to the pain). Place a tennis ball in the space on your bottom cheek where you can feel the tenderness (its where your leg and bottom meet). Support your weight with your arms and slowly move around so the tennis ball is massaging the tender spot. Dont go too hard or you can cause some great bruising. Do it once a day and it should go pretty quickly.
    It is even better than a massage as I can control it and get it in exactly the right spot.
    Hope this helps!

trapper Guest

Default Massage helps

I have tried massage and a chiro and it has helped a bit- hoping the baby will shift soon and alleviate the pain. Its the shooting pains that go down my butt and into my leg that hurt the most. My husband brought me home this massager- that the masseuse suggested
    Magic Wand?-?Hitachi?-?PinkCherry.com
    I am sure others would work just as well- but don't massage your back by yourself-I was told just to use it on my butt and down my legs- it does help-
    good luck!

Clare Gordon Guest

It definitely sounds like it could be sciatica - however, there are many other causes that can mimic sciatica too i.e. trigger points in muscles, a slight rotation through your sacrum (the triangle bone at the bottom of your spine), tight ligaments plus many more. Sciatica can be either side of the body but is usually one-sided due to the tissue causing the problem being on one side.

All of these can definitely be treated by seeing a practitioner, however if you have no way of doing that then i suggest a good stretch for your gluteal muscles i.e. your bum muscles! This will all depend on how big your belly is of course, but start by sitting on the edge of a chair with your feet on the ground. Lift one leg up so that your ankle rests on the knee of the other leg i.e kind of like the way your leg would be if you were to sit crossed legged on the floor, except you are on a chair and only using one leg! Once here, slowly and gently, lean forward FROM THE HIPS, not by hunching your back. You should feel a stretch in the leg that is up. Hold this for about 20 seconds and then do the other leg. Repeat this a couple of times. If you dont find there is much of a stretch you can either lean further forward or very gently push on your knee towards the ground (the leg you are stretching).

The other thing you can do is to buy some Tissue Salts from the chemist, inparticular Kali Phos (it may be called Nerve Nutrient depending on the brand). They are potassium phosphate and are safe to take during pregnancy. They will help with nerve irritation.

Hope this helps!