Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stocking up on baby items?

Question Stocking up on baby items?

Hi,

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but I have looked and cant find anything but I am sure that is has been discussed before. And sorry if this is in the wrong section too!

Anyways, just wondering what sort of stuff I should be stocking up on??!! I briefly asked my mum the other day and I dont think she gave me much of an answer. And as its my first baby, I dont know what is needed!!

Obviously nappies are going to be needed. I am going to be trying cloth but will have some disposables on hand if it all gets too much.

So what else should a first time mum stock up with?! Or is it not vital to stock up on stuff?? If you do stock up, how do you buy things - when they are on special???

And TBH, I havent bought anything yet!! I think this is mainly because I dont know what is going to be needed..

Thanks!!

I just bought something little every week when I did the grocery shopping. So maybe a pack of wipes, bath stuff, shampoo, singlet, socks etc from the supermarket. When I had a little spare cash, so maybe once a fortnight I'd get a grow suit, an outfit, box of nappies that sort of thing.

I bought stuff when it was on special. I think i started buying things when I was about 30 weeks pregnant. I bought nappies (3 boxes of newborn size), lots of wipes, a few baby wash and baby lotion things, a couple of little singlets and jumpsuits..I did the same as Sarah - i'd one or two things when I went grocery shopping.. I didnt really go crazy, i just bought enough stuff to last the first couple of weeks because i didnt think I would want to leave the house during that time!
    It might be good to buy some newborn disposable nappies to use while in hospital if your hospital doesnt provide them for you. At my hospital, if you put something in the linen service, you dont ever see it again.

Thanks Guys, I was thinking along those lines of buying wipes, baby wash, baby lotions when they were on special.

I should have bought some wipes last week cause they were on special!

I think because I get paid monthly I am not really buying anything, I have 3/4 more pays until I finish work. OMG.... only 3/4 pays left...

Oh just something to take note of is to be careful not to buy too many lotions & potions. Lots of bubs have reactions to Johnsons because of the perfumes in it, so you don't want to have a stack of things you don't need - we had to get rid of 10 bottles of Johnsons things that I had bought & gotten at my baby shower.

I just had a thought of things we often don't think of that you realise you need & go "oh crap" after bubby is born.
    * dummy chain
    * LOTS of wraps
    * bibs in case bub has reflux
    * cotton buds to clean their eyes
    * nappy liners for cloth nappies

I'll keep thinking.....

ETA: Avoid baby oil, it's actually quite dangerous to bubs. If you want to do massages try an aromababy oil (or some other baby massage oil) instead

Thanks Sarah for the tip on the lotions and potions. I might only buy a few diff brands to see what works best and they will last for a lil while so I can go out and buy more when bubs is here, or DP can go out!

My sis gave me heaps of bottles of baby powder! She must have got them all at her baby shower. LOL

How many singlets would you get?
    What sort of wrap would you recommend? Just a normal square one or you can get the special looking ones... cant remember the name!

I only ever used the square ones, but I'd definitely recommend finding big ones, can't think what size right now, but big ones are easier to wrap with. With a winter bubba I'd suggest flanellette ones, if you're a sewer (or even if you just have a machine) you can get flanellette cheap & just hem the edges up but make sure there are no lose threads.

For singlets, I'd suggest around 9 or more (??). That way you have enough for three per day in case they get spewed, weed or pooed on & you don't *have* to be washing every single day. Others might think differently though.

It's funny, Zander is 2 and we aren't even 1/4 of the way through his second bottle of shampoo hehe! And remember they don't have to be bathed every single day and not really with soaps until they are crawling round getting dirty, so they aren't essential to start with.

bethy Guest

Smile stocking up on baby items

Hi, I have had 3 little ones, now 7, 3 11/12ths and 16mo. I can tell you the main things you need are nappies in a bigger size, johnsons wet wipes are excellent and get all sorts of stains out, including off of sandshoes and chocolate paddle pops.., cloth nappies for all sorts of spills and a baby carrier like a baby bjorn, these are priceless. A good quality pram that you can maneuvre around the supermarket with a decent underneath, and a big pram for walking outside, you'll need fresh air at some point!
    Singlets with press studs are also great for winter and you can never have too many of them, although buy white because you never want to put blue on a girl an vice versa...
    Hope this helps and good luck, you'll enjoy your new life!!!

bethy Guest

Smile things for new bub

also wraps from lilly and lolly (on web) are expensive but gorgeous and are fantastic for covering up while feeding out and about and wrapping babe, can also hang from inside of car window when babe is bigger and they look really cool!

How do you know what size nappies to get though? You don't really know how big bubs will be when born do you?? Or clothes? Or just get bigger ones coz they will eventually grow into it? lol

I stocked up on clothes from 000 upwards, if they are too big they'll be ok, but you can't squeeze a baby into too small clothes IYKWIM. My mum went out shopping the day after Zander was born to get some 0000 clothes cos he was a little shortie LOL.

As for nappies, I'd stock up on newborns. KMart, Target, Coles, Woolies etc will allow you to change to a siz up if you need it later on. If you know the sex of bub you can try to stock up on bigger sizes though.

I agree with the others on the lotions and potions thing, and with the wipes, try them on your hands for a few days before you buy too many of any one brand. Even though huggies wipes are nice and thick and come in a great pack I ended up with dermatitis from using them in the early days. So you might be allergic to the lotions/potions yourself.

I suggest you STOCK UP ON FOOD! From about 30 weeks I made a huge amount of casseroles/soups and froze them - great for a winter bub/mum combo.

Again... Wipes!!
    We buy the box of 6 Johnsons wipes... its around $21 from memory from Big W... we buy a box a week, that way, we always have wipes... there is nothing worse than running out IMO. We use them for everything. We also use Aquim handwash stuff... it sits on the changetable and I use it so I don't have to rush off to wash my hands after changing Harry... when he wants a feed, he wants it asap... no time to wash hands etc, so this has been the best thing, it is also used in the hospitals etc.

ok my suggestion is washing liquid for bubs, if your like me you will want to wash bubs clothes seperatly and in sensaitive liquid buy up big we must have had dozen of liquid and a dozen of the softener we use purity anyway people give plenty of essentials as gifts but noone thinks of washing stuff

Bottles(if you plan to bottle feed), wipes, nappies, well everything everyone else has said:Plol. I used to buy something every week aswell a bottle or a dummy, you could even start getting things for when bubs is a bit older like spoons and bowls.

Ellie

Thanks everyone, this is great! I am going to start buying something each week just so I get a bit of a collection.

Sarah - I am going to do the same as you with clothes. I will buy 000's and if my baby is small then I will send my mum and sis out to get some smaller clothes.

Stocking up on food would be a great idea, the only thing is that I have such a fussy partner!! He used to cook, but now jsut doesnt feel like it and it is all up to me. I might need to look into freezing some foods cause I know I am not going to want to cook anything in the early weeks.

Don't forget breast pads cause if b/f you'll go through heaps and they can get expensive. Each time i do a shop now i throw in a box of pigeon breast pads (i found them the best whilst b/f Ella - flexible, absorbant and slimline)

ahh yes.. and maternity pads would probably be good too?? I saw the price of a 10 pack yesterday and thought wow, thats expensive for 10! I think it was $5 or $6.. I saw some other cheaper packs but they looked too surfboardish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast