Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stocking up on baby items?

The only things I have stocked up on have been laundry detergent (Amolin sensitive), and maternity pads lol. I had only bought 2 baby outfits, no lotions/potions, and no rungs/wraps, and now after baby shower/leaving work/pressies from friends and family I have more than enough. I'm so glad that I didn't buy any clothes especially. I still haven't bought any toys, but we've been given some, and I don't think they'll need very many as a newborn.

ahh thats what I was meant to ask! What sort of laundry detergent would be needed?? I use OMO for front loaders, so I guess bubs would need something different?

We've got a front loader too! The Amolin sensitive has worked fine for when I've prewashed all of bubs stuff. I think you can also get Omo Sensitive - but I'm not sure if it's suitable for a front loader.

You could also stock up on other household items that you use, such as cleaning products, dishwashing gloves (if you use them), laundry powder, soap, bathwash & shampoo for you & DH, just anything you generally use around the house, I am about to start doing this, just getting an extra pack of sponges, scourers, rubbbish bags etc. Hopefully it will all add up and make being on one income a lot easier.

Good idea for a thread, there are a few things I will add to my list as well.

That's true Moglie - we've been doing that as well. It leaves a bit more in the grocery budget for baby things when you'll need to buy them, and it also means you never run out of toilet paper

I usually bought 1 thing every shop extra when I was pregnant and there were a few things I ran out of in the second week that I wish I had gotten more of.... nursing pads, breast pads. I had 10 cloth ones and thought it would be all good, but I leaked heaps this time & needed more so I used washers at home, but needed something for when we left the house that wouldn't leak through. I went through 2 boxes in a week!!! Things settled down but definately a few boxes of them if you are breastfeeding.

Things I bought were:

*maternity pads (4 packs)
    *ultra thin pads (2 packs)
    *nappies (newborn 1 box, next stage up 5-11kg 3 boxes)
    *wipes (4-5 bulk packs)
    *nappy liners (if we don't use them as liners here we also use them as wipes)
    *bath soap for newborns (I use the gaia organics bath range or the mama baba lavender)
    *soap for adults
    *bibs
    *singlets (I have around 10 each from 000 up to 1)
    *we went to Big W and got a 5kg box of washing powder

True, use those cotton balls for the eyes, but grab a little box of the cotton tips (on a stick) anyway for cleaning their belly button - take them to the hospital too! We didn't bring any of our own and the nurses got a bit cranky when we asked if they had any we could use...
    I'm really glad I bought a couple of smaller sized soft baby towels and facewashers - they have been really useful.
    Wraps are great in a bigger size - at least 1.5metres by 1metre.
    Also, if you're having a baby shower or you have lots of family, don't forget you'll get HEAPS of gifts/hand-me-downs - its great

Sorry I meant cotton balls, not cotton buds

Most dummy chains these days are very short to prevent that happening.

LizzysMum Guest

Apologies of I am repaeting other posters:

With my first I found it very useful to stock up on:

Hand soap - you wash your hands a thousand times a day
    Aqium (hand sanitiser as used in hospy) - used this at the change table
    Laundry detergent/powder
    Breast pads - or you can get lovely hemp washable ones that don't itch!
    Maternity Pads
    A good hand cream for yourself - your hands crack and hurt alot due to washing
    Lansinoh - for cracked nipples
    Nappies - I do not use disposables so for us it was Modern Cloth here
    Wipes - I do not use the disposable/chemically ones so for us this was soft cloth wipes
    Natural Instincts Skin Lotion (100% organic)
    Natural Instincts Baby bath (100% organic)
    Cornflour baby powder
    Paw Paw cream - the non -petroleum based one
    Zinc and castor oil cream
    Bonds Suits
    Singlets
    Some bigger than average muslin wraps
    Terry flat nappies for spew catchers
    A couple of yummy soft baby hooded towels
    Some washers/flannels for bathtime

That is all the ones I could think of. As others have said about the most commonly commercially available washes, creams and oils etc I would not use them. I did try them and the washes dried my daughters skin out so much it was terrible. Also most of the creams have harsh chemicals in them and baby oil is mineral based and bad for any skin.

I have bottles and bottles of all of them here given to us as gifts and I have no idea what to do with it all......

Lizzy - thanks for that!! I will look for those skin lotion and baby bath you have mentioned. I have pretty sensitive skin myself and the last thing I want is my daughter's skin to dry out as well as my own!

Well I got lots of add to my upcoming shopping lists. Thanks for all your help! It makes things soo much easier.

LizzysMum Guest

No worries, I get them at my local chemist. They are white bottles with navy blue writing.

hi Everyone,
    I have just been looking over my list of things to start buying and thought if I should start buying now or wait? The reason I am thinking of waiting is because I will be having a baby shower, but I dont think that will be until June and I really would like to start getting organised but am worried about getting too much stuff!!

What you think, shall I wait or just buy it now and see what I get at my baby shower? I guess I shouldnt get too much stuff at my baby shower because I dont really have a huge group of friends, so will only be a small gathering...

One thing I will suggest is a few different styles of dummies, because some babies dont like the cherry teat and some do. I think all up I went through about 5 different brands before we found one Tori would take.

What a great thread!!

Great suggestion about stocking up on normal household items.. toilet paper, tissues ( i cried alot after having my DD) hand soap etc

Muslin wraps, cotton throws, batteries for your camera, film, maybe buy some nice thank you cards if you see them on special.

Cot sheets etc, i had a reflux babe, and some nights i would change her cot 4 or 5 times!

Even maybe finding some clothes for yourself for when you are almost back to your pre-pregnancy size but not quiet!

I didnt actually buy anything for my DS until he was born..besides 3 outfits which i couldnt resist, but only 1 fit cause they were too big. I would reccomend buying 0000 because DS was 9ld 4oz and they still swam on him, 000 were enormous.
    I recieved everything else at my baby shower and when he was born..nappies, wipes, baby bath, shampoo, cotton tips, singlets, clothes, powder, nappy sacks...you name i got it.
    I got that much i have just given the last few bottles of lotions and stuff to my girlfriend for her baby shower..and DS is almost 3!!!

The most valuable item i recieved was a little 'Safety First" brand kit that included nail clippers, medicine measure thing (was long and skinny and they drank out the top), a nasal passage clearer (basically a little bulb that sucks the snot out lol) and a thermometer, i didnt use the medicine thing but the nail clippers and the snot sucker were awesome i stil use the clippers now...thank goodness DS will blow his nose now

Ohh and while i remember Muslin wraps were invaluable i wrapped DS from birth and they were a life saver i bought them in a 3 pack from Target for approx $11 and they are extra large approx 1mx1m...they did him during winter and then extra blankets ontop and then during summer when he didnt like being wrapped anymore i used them as a blanket....he still sleeps with his blankies to this very day so i have had to buy some more for my next baby.

What i can tell you is that you will lose count how many people ask 'what do you want' or 'what do you need' just tell them to get you wipes and stuff because those items are cheaper than some baby outfits people will buy you more of them and they will add up before you know it.

good luck

PS You can never have too much stuff!! lol
    Last edited by rylansmum; April 27th, 2007 at 09:19 PM. Reason: adding something i forgot

I dont suggest any baby soaps, just Bi carb soda as it's gentle & softens babies skin, rather than any nice smelling stuff which can cause a rash!

I throw in maternity pads & breast pads, I have about 10 size 000 singlets about 5 growsuits in 000, other than that I check the list from the hospital of what to bring & although I have outfits for Zyon most are in 00 to grow into, you will get so many gifts! Maybe wait til after your baby shower for stuff for Avaleigh, but start now with maternity pads & breastpads for you coz it wont matter you'll need them anyways & wont get them for baby shower!!???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12