Thread: Stupid Questions that dont fit anywhere else!!

Question Stupid Questions that dont fit anywhere else!!

There is a few things that i would like to know, but, they are the type of questions that will make everyone think that i am a dumb ar$e! But, i still need to ask..... Perhaps some other peoples might be brave enough to add their own 'stupid' questions.

These are mine

1) Is Lemon Lime & Bitters classified as alcoholic?

2) Feta - normally a no no. But, there is a brand made from Pasturised milk (Tasmanian something or rather) - is that therefore ok to eat?

3) Is there anything wrong with chewing gum. I tend to have the 'Extra' brand pellets. (this one is 'Extra' stupid i know)

4) Darrell-lea licorice - is it ok? I read somewhere that aniseed was bad for you during pregnancy.

Hi Mum2bee,
    Well those questions arnt stupid, they are pretty good ones actually.
    1) Lemon lime and bitters is non alcoholic. It is a soft drink.
    2) I have no idea! I have eaten feta cheese since being preg, no harm to my bubs, i didnt realise i couldnt eat it! Oops!
    3) Nothing wrong with chewy that i know of.
    4) No idea of the licorice either.
    Sorry im not much help but i have answered some questions.
    Jenni

LL&B - you can get in a bottle can't you? a softdrink - like scorpiomum said. However, if you got one at a pub.. no idea!

I think any soft cheese is to be avoided.. it can contain listeria.

Chewy - the thing with Extra (for me) would be the artificial sweetener (phenylelanine or aspartamane sp??). I avoided it when pg, as I'd read that it can disrupt the bub's temperature (or something like that.. I can't remember now).

Does licorice have actual aniseed in it? or just flavouring?

Don't feel silly asking questions.. how do we ever find things out if we don't ask!

Thats funny, when I ate licorice last week within 5 minutes it was in the toilet bowl because I was sick! First time I had ever been sick so far and it was because of the licorice! Strange?

I've heard artificial sweetner can leach calcium from your system - so I've avoided it during pg.

I was also told eating licorique can help you develop high BP in third trimester. A baby nurse told me that once.

I avoid sweeteners personally because they are chemical based. I try and eat as natural as possible when pregnant, and there is nothing natural about diet soft drink, etc. I'd rather have sugar. I've always avoided 'extra' for the same reasons.

I wouldn't risk any feta either, but that's just me.

A personal thing really I guess.

I'm pretty sure if you get a LLB made up for you (ie: bitters from its own bottle) then it's alcoholic but as Shannon said, it's such a tiny tiny amount. Mind you, I was still such a 'rules girl' during pregnancy I only had 2 in 9 months...

Thanks all. The licorice was abit of an after thought, i read somewhere that it could be good for morning sickness, but, have never had the urge to eat it....unlike FETA! I love feta. A little bowl of Feta and kalamarta (sp??) olives after work was a favorite..
    Oh well, only 157 days to go...................

Default I know this thread is old..but just in case..

After purchasing licorice tea, I noticed on the box that it is not recommended to drink more than a cup a day if pregnant or breastfeeding. Further investigation revealed, that licorice should be approached the same as caffeine.

LLB is alcoholic. Its a tiny amount, but yes, still alcoholic. When working at a pub I saw that alot of people didnt know that and would buy them for their kids only to be told they couldnt give them to their kids by management.

*bump*

Hello everyone :waving:

I'm not pregnant but this conversation reminded me that my mum craved licorice when she was pregnant with me and ate it all the time. I turned out fine methinks

Bitters on it's own is highly alcholiac (like 60% or something). I think you can have it as whilst yes there is a small amount in it the actual alcohol in the drink is minimal itms?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelittleprincess View Post
    Bitters on it's own is highly alcholiac (like 60% or something). I think you can have it as whilst yes there is a small amount in it the actual alcohol in the drink is minimal itms?
    LLB has like 5 drops of bitters so it is no problem at all. The about of alcohol in it would be so minuscule you would have to drink like over 20 for it to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBexie View Post
    LLB has like 5 drops of bitters so it is no problem at all. The about of alcohol in it would be so minuscule you would have to drink like over 20 for it to matter.
    Thanks u said what I was trying to say

Angastora bitters have an alcohol content of 44.7% but as the others have said the amount is so small it is considered non alcoholic.
    I didn't eat any feta...but I have heard that if it is pasteurised and made in Australia it is safe.
    I know large amounts of liquorice have been linked to prem labour but I think you have to eat a lot of it.

All cheeses available for sale in Australia must be pasteurized by law so I'm not sure the no soft cheese thing is applicable in Aus? Other countries are allowed to sell unpasteurised cheese.