Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is taking vitamins a MUST?

Default Is taking vitamins a MUST?

I took Blackmores Preg vitamins with DD1 until about 10 weeks then stopped cos i wasnt keeping anything down...so was no point.

DD2 i took them until 18/20 weeks

This time ive not taken anything.....is it really a must? Or will it be ok

kim i think as liong as you have a well balanced diet its not essential, except folate, are you taking folate?

I think folate is the only 'must' but even then.. some people don't realise they're pregnant until a few months in, and others can't keep a thing down during that first trimester, so it obviously isn't an absolute must.

I'm hopeless at taking tablets, so I usually stopped taking them once through that first trimester. And I've never taken them breastfeeding either. You only need them if your diet is lacking.

Nope im not

Perhaps i should get some..can u buy it on its own?

you can blackmore do just folate

slyder Guest

Yes folate can be purchased on its own, but its primary benefit is in the months leading up to, and in the very early stages of pregnancy. I believe any vitamin/s you take should be in consultation with your doctor. Vitamin companies make a killing out people pumping all manner of vitamins into themselves believing that they are doing the right thing. It's also worth considering that some supplements can counteract each other, which is why professional assistance is a good idea.

Thanks Slyder....i will speak with my GP first

I would definitely take Folate if nothing else. It has been CLEARLY proven to be so important in that early development. And IMO if you know that something is so beneficial in reducing the risks of serious defects to bubs then it would be crazy to not take it.

Kim, the chemist sells folic acid on it's own, i used to take 'Nature's Own' ($6.95) for the last 10mths pre-conception and once pregnant i started taking Blackmores Pregnancy Gold tablets (1 morning, 1 night) i would start on those if i were you

But don't panic, as long as you are eating really healthy and eating foods that are rich in folic acid then you are pretty fine and you've had two healthy bubbas already as well perhaps look up on the net some foods rich in folic acid (folate) and get straight into them.

it really depends on what type of diet you are consuming & whether you are getting adequate amounts of nutrients. If you are getting enough & still take the tablets its shouldnt matter as your body will dispose of any unwanted nutrients!

I am also taking blackmores pregnancy tablets (they are like horse pills)

it really depends on what type of diet you are consuming & whether you are getting adequate amounts of nutrients. If you are getting enough & still take the tablets its shouldnt matter as your body will dispose of any unwanted nutrients!

I am also taking blackmores pregnancy tablets (they are like horse pills)

Kim, as the others have said, folate is most important before conception and in the first month or so of pg. But it still has benefits throughout the pg and also while bfing. So it would be a good idea to take that. As an aside, there has also been a study which has shown that women who drink alcohol have a higher risk of women who don't drink, and that taking folate negates that (so a woman taking folate has the same breast cancer risk as a non-drinker).

No other vitamins are usually needed. However, some women do find they need iron supplements, a bt can determine if your iron is low.

I just wanted to mention IODINE, there seems to be such a huge lack of public awareness about it and how important it is for brain development. It is very easy to eat a healthy diet and still be deficient in iodine, especially if you don't eat much seafood. I too hate taking supplements and truly believe that eating a healthy diet is the most important way to gain the vitamins and minerals you need. But please consider iodine, that's the main reason why I take supplements.

If you want more information, just google iodine deficiency in Australia or something like that.

to me..personally they are a must. Thats why they are there and doctors recommend them. But hay..at the end of the day its up to you.

I stopped taking my Blackmores after about 4 months into this preg (went through an anti-pharmaceutical phase!) but was speaking to a middy freind this week who said I should still be on folic acid - it reduces the risk of placental abruption which sounds like it's worth it! Folic acid is so cheap that to not take it doesn't make a lot of sense IMO.

I didn't take any while pregnant and still don't now I am BF. It is proven that folate lowers the risk of spinal defects, but I didn't know I was preg until 6 weeks so it was already on the fringe for prevention. I can't take pills at the best of times and couldn't stand the smell of them with morning sickness. I did eat a bit of marmite (better than vegemite for B group vitamins).

I agree with the point about iodine deficiency, make sure you get the iodised salt at the supermarket.

ETA, didn't know of the link between folate and lower risk of placental abruption
    Last edited by Artechim; May 24th, 2008 at 12:25 PM.

I didnt take anything with DD asi didnt find out i was pregnant until 12 weeks. With Ds i took them until around 10 weeks i think. I dont take any during ttc though as i find it really hard to take tablets, so really have to force myself to take them in pregnancy.

Nothing is a MUST in my opinion. Women have had healthy babies for thousands of years without taking any supplements. They are really only there to make sure your diet isn't lacking in anything. But it is always preferable to get your vitamins and minerals from natural food sources (ie. fresh fruit and veg) than out of a bottle. As someone has mentioned before some minerals cancel each other out. For example zinc can inhibit the absorption of iron.
    So in my opinion if you can be sure that you are getting enough of the important vitamins/minerals (ie folate, iodine, iron, calcium,...) in your diet, then that is much better and more effective than taking a supplement. But the reality is that the vitamin and mineral content of our food is relying heavily on the location where it is grown, the soil condition, amount of sunlight, timing of harvest, length of storage before consumption, etc. so I decided for myself that in the case of pregnancy, I was going to rather be safe than sorry and supplement. But I wouldn't supplement usually, unless I knew there was a lack of something in my diet.
    I still use the preg/BFing supplements as I am still breastfeeding and I have heard that they might help with supply. But I am not taking them every day anymore as I forget quite regularly.

Sasa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast