Thread: Vitamins - Blackmores Pregnancy & Feeding tablets as an example

Default Vitamins - Blackmores Pregnancy & Feeding tablets as an example

Ladies, I have a question, i am nearly 23 weeks pregnant and I keep ;forgetting' to take my pregnancy vitamins I was taking them religiously in the first tri but ever since I progressed into the 2nd tri I have hardly taken them at all. Is this bad??

I think you will probably be fine - why don't you set a recurring alarm on your mobile that goes off to remind you to take them at the same time each day?

Unless you aren't eating correctly all the time and have some kind of deficiency then I agree with Nai. Make sure you are eating lots of fruit and vegies and a balanced diet ....off to take my own advice!!

I've put mine in the draw with my toothbrush... that way I remember to take them when I brush my teeth before I go to bed each night.

..... I was taking Blackmores preg vitamins - found that they really bound me up. Since I've changed to elevit - my bowels have been moving freely! such relief!

Hi

I'm not pregnant yet (well not that I'm aware of...I will know next week) but as we've been planning, I've been taking folic acid since January (I'm terrible with remembering to take vitamins but I keep these on the bedside table and have miraculously remembered to take one every morning).

Should I also be taking something else, such as that Elevit pregnancy vitamin? Or should I wait until I know I'm pregnant.

Thanks.

Joss,

I have been doing the same. I have since popped mine next to my cereal so when I eat breaky I wash down my supps with some cranberry juice (just to kill the taste of them) it helps to remind me and have them while my porridge is cooking.

Monjt,

I have been taking the Cenovis Pregnancy & Breastfeeding formula. I fell pregnant last august (but lost that one) and just didn't stop taking it. It has all sorts of minerals, Vitamins etc and I wanted to make sure that this time bub has all the nutrients it needs to go full term. It does leave me clogged up but nothing a bit of metamucil doesn't fix

Nae x

Sometimes I forget, sometimes I remember lol.

You should be fine. A dr of mine said that Aussies have the most expensive wee in the world as many of our foods are vitamin enriched without us even noticing.

As long as you take them whenever you can should be fine!!!

Thanks ladies for your advice, I have now put them with my cereal as that will help me remember every morning. Also, thanks for the advice about Elevit, Blackmores Pregnancy and Breastfeeding tablets make me bind up aswell (sorry TMI) so I will try Elevit next, I just thought they would all bind me up but I will give a go changing.

I'm terrible at remembering mine too, I've put them on the eye level shelf in the pantry so everytime I open the door I'm looking at them!

Default Hearing you!!

I kept doing the same, and now I keep them on the kitchen bench so when I am cooking tea or making breaky they are staring me in the face and I have one during my meal. I also have to take vitamin d, as I am low in that, and I am also taking fish oil, which is apparently good for joints, as I've had some trouble with my hips. So now I am up to taking 9 tablets per day - I'm not good at swallowing these horse tablets, and with my heart burn, I'm burping up fish all day - its revolting!!

Point is, keep them somewhere you can see them - which will remind you to take them. Another good place is next to your toothbrush, so you remember morning and night.

I have run out of Blackmores Concive well Gold. At this stage Im unsure if Im UTD Its been 4 days without some tablets I dont want to pay the $40 odd for Concive Well if I should be taking the Pregnancy ones though. I have taken Centrum as it has 200mcg of Folic Acid but the Concive Well has 500mcg.

Will it matter if I dont have the extra 300mcg for another week?

Default Hi Wannabeamumma,

Look at the end of the day its the folic acid that counts. It is recommended that you have 400mg of folic acid per day, but don't forget it is in your food as well. Oranges, juices, some breakfast cereals, nuts and heaps of other foods contain high levels of folate, so just look at the labels when you do your shopping and all this will contribute to your daily intake. It is recommended that you also take these pregnancy vitamins 3 months prior to conception, but there are heaps of people who fall pregnant by accident, and they haven't take them prior! Once they find out they are pregnant, they are told to take them straight away. I have friends that have just purchased the plain old folate tablets which are about $8.00 for a pack of 40 - and I can't remember the name of them, but saw them in the chemist, so you can just take them if haven't much $$$ - at the end of the day, if you are getting 400mg that's all the matters. If you can afford to and want to shell out extra - do it when you can. I personally am using the Blackmores Pregnancy & breastfeeding gold, which was recommended to me by both dr's and pharmacists, as I work in a hospital. When I told my Obstetrician I was on them, he gave me a pat on the back, and said that they are the best ones to take - as he has actually been doing a research project on them. You can use them for conception, pregnancy & afterwards for breastfeeding - so very versatile. Also, I look out in catalogues for "specials" and buy them in advance to get them cheap. They too are also $40- but i have always paid around $29.95 - to be exact!! Terry white pharmacies usually have them on special and the one I visit, has a vitamin club - which gives you a further 10% off. Coles usually has them on special often too. Good luck!

Hi Jacksta75

Thanks for that info.

Ill have to look for some Folate tablets then.

WBAM