Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What special memories do you have from when you first discovered your pregnancy?

Default What special memories do you have from when you first discovered your pregnancy?

I found out I was pg at work - AF was late and although I did a HPT a week before (which was negative) something just felt different. A quick trip to the chemist for another test kit and bang - I was pg!! I waited till I was home to tell DH, and that night we vistied my parents to give them the good news. But the best bit is that driving home from their place was the first time I heard Shannon Nolls' "Lift". Now every time I hear that song it brings tears of joy to my eyes.

Let go let go let go all the cannons
    How beautiful this world has become
    now everyone will see what I believe that these words should be sung

This is the time, this is the day that we've been waiting for
    All the world will stop to watch you shine
    This is the time, this is the day that we've been waiting for
    All the world will stop to watch you shine
    What are your special memories of when you first discovered you were pregnant?

After ttc for so long, I really never thought it would ever happen. So after seeing the 2 lines, I cant believe how much I cried. I was shaking and screaming and crying and shaking, screaming and crying!! And the part I remember so vividly is not sleeping a WINK that night, as I had a million things running through my head--- IM HAVING A BABY!

I found out on the 14 June - exactly two weeks before my 30th birthday, which I had planned to completely wipe myself out on. I had been waking up feeling different and was sure I was pg. Sure enough (I had a test in the cupboard) I was. I sat on the toilet just staring at the little tester kind of overwhelmed at how my life was going to change.

My husband was still sleeping waiting for his alarm and I went in, woke him up and told him. He said, "That's nice dear." and rolled over and fell asleep again. Funny bloke!!! He was happy but nothing was going to steal those last five minutes of sleep you get before the alarm goes off - not even the announcement that he's about to become a daddy.

My special memory is when I showed the test to my DH and it took him ages to figure out what it meant even with the instructions for the test right there as well. It finally clicked and seeing the joy on his face was great.

Also, we were due to go car shopping that day anyway and whenever he got into the drivers seat, he would reach his hand back into the back seat. I asked him what he was doing and he said "Making sure that I can reach the baby" Ohhhh, how sweet. I almost started crying again right there in the middle of the car yard.

he he he....
    All I could say for at least an hour or so was "oh my god.. oh my god,,, oh my god"

It was a saturday so DH was having a well earned sleep in and I went off the doctor as I was 5 days late with AF but had also had really bad cramping for a few weeks... when I first went to the doc we did a test and it was negative so she did all these tests for the most HORRIBLE things... like gonnareah, clamidia, cyphalis!!!!!!! EEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKK,.... cause I had increased mucus but with a negative test we thought we better illiminate any other nasties that might be infection.... But it turned out that it was just the mucus plug forming!! HEHEHEHE
    I thought DH was going to spin out... but he was happy

What a beautiful day... we then jumped on the phone and rang all the family... I was ony 4 weeks but if anything were to happen we would have had a HUGE support group around us

Blessed we are

xoxoxoxo

Oh, Katie............ that's a cool one!!

ooooooohhhh... thats sooooooooo sweet katie!!!!

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

DH and I had tried for 4 years to fall pg, and another 13 months of IVF on top of that, and where on our 8th Assisted Conception cycle, following 7 unsuccessful cycles. I had tested with a HPT at 11 dpo and it was a very definite -ve, so I fully expected that my cycle hadn't worked yet again.

On the day of my blood test, I went straight from clinic to a work training day. It was a Saturday so DH was given the job of calling for the results at 2pm and then smsing me what we already knew, that it was another failed cycle.

When he didn't sms me at 2pm, I rolled my eyes and figured he forgot to call. Then when my phone rang at 2.15pm, I just got plain annoyed. I TOLD him not to call, just to sms, coz I would be in class. I picked up the phone anyway and immediately heard my 6ft 4in, stoic, pillar-of-strength husband sobbing down the line.

"You're pregnant" was the first thing he said, choking on his tears.

Needless to say I started bawling my eyes out too! Unfortunately it was in front of a class of 20 people! Lol!

We told our whole family on Christmas day that we were pregnant. What made it special was that we told our entire family on Christmas Day 3 years before that we were engaged. This christmas we are going to have a 4 month old!

We were due to fly to Fiji on the Wed before the Easter long weekend, which was also my birthday. I'd been really disappointed because AF was due on the Tuesday - my timing has always been perfect
    When AF didn't show on tues, I thought, 'great - it'll happen on the plane... on my birthday... brilliant.' But hey, she never showed up at all. We had a great holiday and it was made even greater because we knew we were having a baby! It was the most brilliant birthday present... And she was born on DH's birthday - so we both got the best birthday present ever!

sushee: you made me cry!

Me too Sushee! and I can't even blame it on preggie hormones LOL!

I don't have a special memory until we heard DD's heartbeat at 12 weeks. DH was not the most happy person when I told him we were expecting, so after dragging him (literally) to the 12 week check up, he came out with the biggest grin on his face from hearing the heartbeat. Then he proceeded to walk around for the next few weeks imitating the sound for everyone to hear LOL!

Nic

I was about 5 days late, and i had blood tests done at the fertility clinic in the morning. When they rang me, (longest day of my life was waiting for that call) and told me i was pregnant, the first thing i said was "you're not *****ting me are you" I didnt know what else to say. Then i started to cry.
    I rang my husband, and as soon as he picked up the phone, i started crying. And he assumed that the results was negative. But, i couldnt stop crying enough to tell him that he was going to be a Daddy!

Oh Sushee that gave me tears!!

I tested on the arvo of 9 DPO cause I was bored and DP had his head in our fishtank. Snuck in to the bathroom, did the test and snuck out again. Waiting for the timeframe and snuck back in. I remember looking at the test and there was a faint second line on it. I fought with myself for ages if I was going to show DP or not. In the end I decided not too because I didnt want DP to say it wasnt there. Tested the next morning and the line was there again! So I showed DP and he said he saw it too. Later on I found out he actually couldnt see the line and only said he could cause he knew I wanted him to say he could! (Argh MEN) But I then tested the next day and the next and he soon started to realise he was going to be a daddy..

Sushee, I'm wiping away the tears too.

The discovery of my pregnancy coincided with the assisted death of my cat so it was a strange time. We'd been trying for a few years with no luck and it was our first IVF cycle. I didn't want to hope too much but I really wanted it to work first time.

When the nurse told me it was a positive result (albeit a very low one at first) I remember thinking "oh wow" in a detached sort of way. I think after all the kerfuffle of getting to that point I just didn't quite believe it and I was protecting myself too in case things didn't go well. I wish I could say that I have a lot of happy memories of that time but when I look back now I was sad and guarded. Probably afraid to let go too much and just enjoy it because of all the emotion under the surface.

Seeing a heartbeat at the six week ultrasound was a turning point for me really. The fog started to lift and the pregnancy really began then for me I think. So ... a happy ending eventually. =)

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Lol! You guys! I have to admit to a little tear or two remembering that moment too!

Oh, RoryRory
    Why did you have to start this thread...? Beautiful stories from everyone that make me cry. I'm at work and keep getting teared up everytime I read a new post. I'm surprised my work mates haven't noticed the sniffles coming from my direction.

I remembered another thing that is a special memory. My DH isn't a soppy person who shares his emotions often. So when I opened my emails one morning when I got to work and saw one there from my DH (he's a tradie so doesn't go on the computer often) I thought what has he sent me. He ended up writing a beautiful little note saying "I just wanted to let you know that I love my wife and our Squishy (bubs nickname)and I can't wait to watch you grow with our child" I burst into tears at my desk and had to duck off to the bathroom to compose myself. I ended up printing the email to tuck into my cars sunvisor so that I can be reminded of it whenever I'm in the car. He phoned a few hours after to see if I'd read it and I got mad at him for making me cry.

I love these stories...keep em coming

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast