Thread: when did u stop working?

Default when did u stop working?

Hi ladies another question

I have a full time office job at the moment, i am working 8:30 til 5:00. i was wondering how long b4 bubs arrived did others in my position stop work?
    My job isnt exactly stressfull but can be very hectic at times, i spend alot of time on my bum but that can also be uncomfortable. I am getting rather big and i only have energy until about lunch time. I cant go on to part time either just full time til mat leave starts. I am planning on finishing about 8weeks b4 because that will bring me up to the first week of Jan. Its just other ladies i know have been working til about 3weeks b4..... i know everyone is diff. Just want some idea on what everyone else is doing.

Hi Sally Marie!
    Firstly Congrats on your Pregnancy!

I am an RN and worked all shifts (early, evenings and night duties) until i was 37 weeks.
    It was part of my conditions to get paid maternity leave.

plus we joked - "oh well if i go into labour ill just have my baby on my break... lol".... my boss thought it was a great idea

And yep i was the same - got tired etc and big and couldnt bend lol... it was a good look in such a physical job.

I had DD at 39 +2 Weeks so only had 2 weeks at home alone. BUt that was seriously enough for me as i was bored out of my brain!!! lol.... went on a 300km road trip to see a movie the weekend b4 i was so bored.

But it is honestly up to you! If you want to leave 8 weeks prior and can afford it - go for it!

There is no right or wrong - just make sure you are rested up for the birth/newborn stage (not like me being active up to the day she was born! lol.....

hugs

Claire Guest

Congrats on your pregnancy - here's to a happy and healthy nine months!

With my first I worked up until the day I was due and wouldn't recommend it!

With my second I stopped 5 weeks before I was due and that was still too late! Could easily have stopped before the 3rd trimester started! It was just so uncomfortable and my pelvis hurt from all the sitting in my non stressful job!

With my 1st PG I finished quite early because of hip problems, with my 2nd I worked from home so I could take it fairly easy and worked for 8mths. With my third I worked only 20hrs/week, I had told my employer that I would work for 8mths, but it was fairly physical work and I get so big so I ended up only working for about 6mths. Best wishes for the remainder of you PG.

I had an office job which wasn't stressful and I finished up at 37 weeks. I used all my annual leave up and from 30 weeks I took Wednesday off as an annual leave day. Best decision I every made. So much to do and broke the week up if you are tired.

I had a full time office job as well. I started my maternity leave at 37 weeks, and Claire was born just before 39 weeks. They wanted me to finsh at 34 weeks but I got my GP to write me a letter saying I was fit to work longer. In all honesty, I had a pretty good pregnancy and probably could have worked right up to a few days before she was born. Its so hard to know what to do, esp if its your first pregnancy as you dont what to expect. I am glad I didnt have too long off before she was born. I was starting to get bored at home by myself! But it was nice to have some time where I cold just rest and relax and sleep in.

I worked until 38 weeks, but I had a fairly uncomplicated pregnancy and didn't find it a problem.
    Plus I had the advantage of a sickbay/first aid room with a hospital stretcher etc o I could lie down and put my feet up at lunchtime every day, or any other time I needed to.

i stopped work at 36 weeks thinking i have 4 weeks to rest but DD was 11 days overdue so it worked out i had 6 weeks!! which i found way to long..

I stopped work at 34 weeks cause I was far to tired to keep going!!

I finished up at 36 weeks, 2 days. I was working as a Kindy teacher - so pretty busy, on-my-feet kind of job. Having now spent over 4 weeks at home, I'm pretty bored! I was SO organised that there was little left to do to prepare for bub when my maternity leave started. If you are planning to finish 8 weeks before you are due, make sure that you leave yourself things that need doing in that time - because it can get really boring (especially if you go over & end up being at home for 10 weeks!)

I was a little bit naughty. I'm a nurse/midwife and worked to 37+5 and then spent the next 10 days sitting at a computer cramming in my midwifery degree. Not at all clever leaving it to the last minute. I had one day off before my waters broke. Didn't even have my bagged packed or any clothes washed. OOPS. I would definitely give yourself some time off, a few weeks, so you are rested before your gorgeous baby arrives. I was completely exhausted before we started our most challenging time of our life. Rest up before bubby.

Hi and congrats...

With my first one i had a full time office job but they didnt offer maternity leave... We had several girls i was training to replace me and all didnt last more then 2-3 days in the job... this meant that i was unfortunatly asked to stay on a little longer then i had expected. I worked up until 39 weeks 2 days... wouldnt recommend it. although i went to 43.3 weeks and still had some time off it was hell as i knew i was OD and everyday i expected bubs to arrive so i would clean uncontrollably as i felt everything had to be ready just incase.

This time i work 2 days 9-3 so great hours but have to drive 40mins there and back.... although i'm casual/part-time my boss has said i'm welcome to come back after bubs is born, another lady in the office is also due same time but works full time. My bossis under the impression that we both will only take 6 weeks after. i was thinking at least 3-4 months and being her first the other lady wants 12 months....

Think its a personal decision and you have the right to change your mind (giving enough warning) if you feel like you need to finnish up you can get a medical certificate to give to them if your worried what they will say.... thinks like swelling feet are enough for a Medical Cert.

Good luck

motherduck Guest

With my 3yo i worked from 7am till 5pm for days a week on my feet i stoped working at 36 weeks and found that i got bored but that was probably cause she was 8 days late.

With the twins I was booked to finnish work at 34 weeks but went into early labour and had them at 33 weeks 4 days i dont think working was the reason they came early but who knows.

Our enterprise agreement says that we should leave work 6 weeks before the due date unless you have a medical certificate. The midwife clinic (almost reluctantly because of legal reasons) signed a certificate to say that I could work up to 4 weeks before my due date and seriously those 4 weeks have absolutely flown by. Now I am waiting for bubs to arrive.

I stopped working at 38 weeks! I was travelling an hour and a half each way to work too. I think i was absolutely crazy in doing that too to be honest. By about 34 weeks my ankles and feet were so swollen i could only wear ugg boots to work, even though i worked in an office and wasnt on my feet all day.. and i was just so worn out. I was struggling not to fall asleep driving home every night. If i were to do it again id stop at max 36 weeks.

First time stopped work at 36 weeks and it was nice but I did get a bit bored towards the end. This time finished at 30 weeks as sooooooo over it and tired.( and Sydney commuters are not happy to give up a seat for anyone). Glad I did as I was turning into a bit of a monster at work. It all depends on how your pregnancy is going and how flexible and understanding your bosses/colleagues are! Good Luck!

I didn't work for most of my first timester as we were in the process of moving to a new town, and then it took me ahile to find a new job since no one wanted to hire me knowing i would leave them in a few months.

When I did finally find a job I needed the $ and didn't want to leave them in a bind so I worked right up until a week before I was due. I wasn't very big though and I had enough energy to keep at it. If I decide to have another baby though i'd propbably stop a few weeks earlier. I think 3 weeks is good for me, though I guess it would depend on the job and how I was feeling at the time.