Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Parenting after Long Term TTC #6

Lise: what is he on now? JD is on Losec solution and it works wonders!

WB2: I'm one that's all for the 6 weekers. I had JD done right on 6 weeks to the day. IMO it's better to be safe than sorry. And as before, it's more likely the adults you have to worry about not kids, as adults previous boosters can become ineffective and they can be carrying without knowing.

What is worrying you? Is it the side effects?

Hi Lovely Gals!

I'm back

I forgot my password so I was just reading and not posting but it came to me in a flash today and here I am!

All is going well with Colt. He has a pretty solid routine which he set himself (bless his little heart)

He is sleeping through the night, goes to bed at around 8.30ish (although over the last few nights its been earlier as he has been really tired) and wakes up about 8am. He has a feed in bed with me and we both go back to sleep til about 9.30 (oh the guilty pleasure of it!)
    We get up and he has some apples and farex and a small bottle, then he is awake for about an hour. After jumping madly in the jumperoo while he watches Brum, he's off to sleep again for a couple hours. Through the day I breastfeed him but he has a bottle of expressed milk at around 6ish because my boobs just cant take the abuse at that hour and I seem to have a low supply of milk by the end of the day. I stay up really late (because I am a night owl) and I express before bed. In fact I am just about to do that now

So he is doing really great since the traumatic birth and rhesus disease. Everything seems fine, no liver problems or anything else that goes along with it. THANK GOD.

I have a question. Has anyone noticed that the week before your period you seem to have less milk and baby is REALLY fussy on the breast? Colt is killin' me with his suck suck suck - turn head and rip nipple and holler, launch at nipple and suck suck suck, drag away again ... etc etc. Its almost like he doesnt like the taste and gets annoyed! Sometimes I have to top him up because he clearly still hungry but just WILL NOT stay on the boob! Anyone else experienced this?

Here are Colts stats:
    Weight:7.4kg
    Length:not sure, will measure tomorrow
    Eyesurpley-blue!
    Hair:golden brown in the sun

*deep sigh* soooo nice to be back!
    Last edited by sammiejam; August 27th, 2010 at 01:11 AM.

Hi SJ
    Wonderful to hear how well Colt is doing!
    As for the milk questions. AF can alter the flavour, and babies often get fussy at the breast before it arrives. It doesn't affect your supply but it might seem like that's the problem. I think usually it gets better each time you get your period, so hopefully it will settle down for you guys.

BOC - yeah, Finn has just started on Losec too. Am praying it works so I can have my happy smiley baby back. Can I ask if you're still breastfeeding JD or is he on formula? I ask because although I'm still feeding Finn it's such a struggle and the times when he's had formula he's so much happier...

Hi Sammiejam, nice to see you back Nice little routine Colt has there, I like it!!

Hope the new medicine does the trick Lise.
    Who have you gotten help from with the feeding? Have you spoken with an LC? If you're giving formula as well, is that due to low supply? You mentioned weight gain problems before too, right?
    It is really hard in the early weeks getting things sorted, and only harder still when you have extra troubles as well. If it's a supply issue, the formula may be helping to fill him up (unfortunately it wont' help with your supply problems, but gets you through when you need it). Sometimes because they can't regulate the flow of milk froma bottle as well as fom the breast they can get overfull and will naturally nod off at that point. Also, wanting to feed all the time at the breast doesn't necessarily mean he's not getting enough (have to watch all the other signs as well) - they will suck for comfort and reflux babies especially need this!

Anyway, never mind me and my unsolicited advice. You're doing well Lise, really, you will get there. Still early days yet

Marcellus, I did see a LC who helped get him off the nipple shield, and then the nurses at QEII (the baby clinic we were at, some of them were LCs) who helped with his feeding just said that reflux babies were mostly fussy and difficult to feed and just do the best you can! So Finn will switch sides sometimes up to 3 or 4 times during a feed but it still not happy. A couple of times in desperation i've tried a bottle after another dreadful feed and he sucks away quite happily. I would definitely rather breastfeed but when it's such a struggle and he seems in so much pain during/afterwards, and then when I see him happily drink a bottle without any fuss or pain, well I wonder if i'm doing the right thing continuing with the breastfeeding. But the medication should kick in very soon and i'm SURE he'll be a much better and happier feeder after that...!!

For what it's worth, breastmilk is still (generally) the better option for their little tummies (and of course has all sorts of other things in it that formula doesn't), though it may not always seem that way. Is it a special kind of formula that you use, or regular cows milk based one?
    Anyway, I sure hope that medicine will help settle things down and soon! DS had silent reflux. we didn't need medication but found that keeping him upright as much as possible and using a dummy at times seemed to help. The dummy is often recommended as they can suck and swallow without getting extra milk as they would at the breast.

I'm wondering if there's something in your diet, lise, that may be the culprit. Sam was a happy chucker most of the time. Some times not so happy. We used a dummy to help stem the flow of puke to greater or lesser extent... but he was FF from birth as my milk never came in. Hard to stimulate a supply with a pump when your premie can't attach!

BW

barney Guest

Default Stats

here are the stats girls
    Hi! I've added some bits if that is ok.

Poppyfairy
    Age- 7 months (31 weeks)
    Weight - 8.1 kg or 17lb 13 1/2 oz (at last weigh in two weeks ago)
    Height - no idea but long enough for his little feet to bang against my thighs when walking with him in the sling!!
    Eyes - Grey blue
    Hair - golden blonde with tinges of red in sun
    Milestones - rolling and sitting up, saying dadadada and getting upset when he cannot see me.
    Teeth - none!!!! but lots of teething behaviour!!

SMITHY=
    Weight: 8.25 kgs
    Height: not sure
    Eyes: blue
    Hair: golden blonde with a tinge of red in the sun

BOC=
    Weight: 8.77kg
    Height: 73cm
    Eyes: Blue
    Hair: Golden

MURPH=
    Height: 68 cm
    Weight: 6.5 kilos
    Eye colour: blue
    Hair colour: brown

Melbel=
    Height: 65 cm
    Weight: 7.2 kilos
    Eye colour: blue
    Hair colour: bald as a badger!

Marcellus=
    Can't add stats, sorry, as I have no idea.
    He's 2 years 4 months, too heavy to carry for long and tall enough to bang his head on the table. Still blonde & blue eyed, that much I know

SJ
    Here are Colts stats:
    Weight:7.4kg
    Length:not sure, will measure tomorrow
    Eyesurpley-blue!
    Hair:golden brown in the sun

TARA
    Weight: 9.5kg's approx
    Height: 80cm approx
    Eyes: Big Blue Eyes with long eyelashes
    Hair: Auburn
    Teeth: 6
    Milestones: Now says Yay and Ta as well as Mum and sometimes Dad. Still not crawling but wants to stand up at every opportunity - mainly on me..

LISE
    Weight: 5.1kg
    Height: 56cm
    Eyes: blue but I think they'll change...
    Hair: dark brown
    Milestones: smiling
    Teeth: none thank goodness!

Sam...

Weight: 14kg (!!!!)
    Height: 87cm (also !!!!)
    Eyes: the most gorgeous and amazing blue
    Hair: golden blonde with reddish lights
    Milestones: walks and runs, getting there with talking, can now feed himself with a spoon or fork
    Teeth: 14, with his bottom two canines apparently on the move again *sigh*

BG - Emerald
    Age- 15 months (near enough)
    Weight - 12kg
    Height - ummm, no idea - tall enough to drag stuff off the table
    Eyes - blue (and very cheeky)
    Hair - strawberry blonde
    Milestones - running everywhere, getting in trouble, trying to say big words that she really shouldn't be trying yet (like ferdinand - for her toy cow - came out nerdinan)
    Teeth - 9 fully though, 5 on the move (three cut through, then disappeared again, i think they're up again now)

Xavier is
    Age 7 months
    Weight 7.9kg
    Length 67.5cm
    Eyes brown brown brown
    Hair golden brown and getting lighter every day

BW I think you're right but I'm struggling to work out what it could be. I've already cut out the usual suspects for reflux, citrus fruit, tomatoes, fatty foods etc so it's just really dairy but he isn't bothered by the formula so not sure if that's it... The losec seems to be kicking in and the meantime I'm just being extra careful with what I eat.

Thanks for listening to be babble on ladies, I will change the record soon I promise!! Hope you're all enjoying a sunny Sunday

Oh, I hope that losec is helping!
    That's why I asked what kind of formula you're using - dairy is the most likely culprit, so if it's a dairy formula then not that. Been thinking about you and hoping things settle for you and Finn.

lise, which formula are you using?

Sam has a mild dairy intolerance but has always been ok with nan HA. Even though it's a cows milk based formula, it's always been fine. Regular cows milk still causes issues for him at 20 months old. We are slowly getting him onto lactose-free UHT milk, but aren't sure whether it's the lactose-free part or the UHT part that makes it ok for him. He's fine with custard.

It seems that the partially hydrolysed proteins in the formula were enough to make it ok. Cooking the milk makes it ok. I've heard of kids that are ok with regular UHT cows milk but not regular cows milk from the fridge section.

Just want to put it out there for you. Just because the formula is ok doesn't necessarily mean it's not the dairy.

BW

When he has formula it's S26 Gold, first ingredient is lactose. Interesting to read though that maybe he can tolerate the formula but still have an intolerance. Something else to potentially cut from my diet - I'm going to have to talk to a nutritionist as I have food allergies myself so already have a limited diet...!!

If he's tolerating s26 gold, then I would think that it's not a dairy issue. Sam was fine with nestle nan HA, but any other formulas would lead to rivers of puke. He was a very chucky baby, but the puke from other formulas was a very different consistency and had an absolutely foul smell in comparison to what we got from the nan HA. These days the evidence of his dairy intolerance is found in his nappies - foul-smelling and much runnier than normal.

A friend of mine has found that the culprit in her diet that was upsetting her daughter was wheat. But I think the visit to the nutritionist might be a really good idea - one would like to think that she could at least point you in the right direction for which foods to suspect.

BW

Ah - having your own allergies makes it even more complicated for you! I hope Finn doesn't have any serious issues - don't need that!

Hello all! Finally - and after a very timely reminder from Lise - I'm back on line! Hello to many of you, I've just read this thread and it sounds like all your babies are super lovely except when teething so hopefully I get one too : )

Lise - I so so so wish I'd read this thread in the last 4 weeks 6 days - I'm having all the same problems you are bar the reflux. Won't sleep anywhere but on me, won't really sleep at all and certainly not in the bassinette, very short feeding cycle, macerated nipples, baby full of snot etc. And had mastitis, which was something I would not wish on my worst enemy. But as I write this, and I don't want to jinx it but she's asleep... hurrah. I've been to the MACH, extra midwives trips and a GP trip in tears later: and I'm now propping up her mattress, using a vapouriser, doing one formula feed a day, and expressing twice a day and it's all getting better (I think). Now she smiles, and I can't think of anything nicer, it really does change everything doesn't it...

apologies for the lack of personals, until I've settled back in, just a me post. But those who I have met in the past, hello....

Hi LondonMiss!
    Re feeding, don't forget the ABA helpline - they're there 24/7 to offer support and advice.
    Do you have a sling or wrap? They're often the best things for during the day - it's totally normal for babies to want their mummies all the time. It's hard work, but best to make things as easy on yourself as possible. Smiles certainly help!

Wow all these newborn issues, it seems ages since we've had some little babies in our midst and even though you are all going through some rough times we are all thinking of you. Although I must admit at the time the problems seem like they will never go away but before you know it they will be approaching their 1st birthday's and all the stuff in the early day's will seem like a blur. I can't really remember too much about those first few weeks now and my baby is going to be the big 1 in 6 weeks time..... that time has gone by so fast.

Life is back to normal now that DH has gone back to work after 2 weeks holiday, I don't know if having him home was good or bad though as it just seemed to create extra work. Although we have finally sorted out the house a bit better with some room rearranging, primarily moving the spare bed from Tara's room so she now has a big play space as well as her sleeping area. We thought we better get some type of playroom sorted out before we get hit with first birthday then Xmas presents. Oh, Tara's latest thing is to now point... It is making life much easier for me now as she will point at things that she wants instead of me having to guess, apart from that she also waves hello & goodbye which is very cute. When we say hello she will wave and when we say bye bye she waves also, so at least she seems to understand the different words. She also understands the word 'kiss' as when I ask her for kisses she will lean in and give me a big sloppy kiss on the lips, although anyone else only get kisses on the cheek.

What else is happening.......

Oh, I also have my day 14 scan booked in for Wednesday to see if things are moving along nicely for hopefully another FET next week. I'm really relaxed about it all this time as I'm so happy with my little smiley bundle of joy that if things don't work out then I have 1 precious gift anyway. Anyway better get moving and put the oven on, we are having roast chicken with roast veggies for dinner tonight and then a caramel self saucing pudding for desert....mmmmm yummy....
    Last edited by TaRhLi.; August 30th, 2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: didn't make sense.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast