... 41213141516 ...

thread: Parenting after LTTTC #2

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jan 2006

Hi Murph! Welcome to you and Jasmine. Sounds like she's doing so well after her bumpy start. Well done to you!

wow Janie, getting "mummas" already! That's wonderful. We'll be in NZ soon.... visiting the in-laws. Not looking forward to the flights. Given his track record, I would give A a 0.2% probability of sleeping on the plane...

FLIP little baby, FLIP!!! Your mummy is getting worried. Come on, please don't leave it till the last minute.

Wow - chubba bubba Kelly!

Hello Lily & Emma! How are you queenh?

Hi everyone else!

Oct 2008
    Melbourne

Good afternoon girls,

Just a quick post from me as Trent is asleep and Im STUFFED so am going to go to bed too! He was up until 2am last night with bad wind pains the poor thing. I feel so helpless when he is in pain like that.

Wanted to say a big HELLO AND WELCOME to Murph, its so nice to see you in here Glad Jasmine is getting bigger and stronger everyday. She is such a beautiful and special little girl and we have followed each others journeys from the beginning so its so nice to hear how things are progressing.

As for fatty boomba's, Trent weighed in at 4.2kgs at his 4 week check up!!! He's gained lots of weight since coming home But he looks very healthy to me

Had my first mothersgroup meeting too on Wednesday, there was 5 of us all up and they all seemed lovely. Im hoping to make some new friends as all of my friends have kids whom are now at school so will be nice to have friends going through the same things as I am.

I have a busy weekend ahead so am going to head off to catch up on some sleep and recharge the batteries in readiness for the weekend (and the nightshift with Trent!)

Hello to Kelly, Marcellus, Janie, Lenny, Shannon and everyone else. Have a GREAT weekend and catch up with more personals soon

Take care,
    Tania

Nov 2007
    Country Vic - West of Ballarat

OMG Miss M Trent is a little chubster for sure, Tara was 4.2kg at 6 weeks although from memory he was a little bigger than her when he was born. Just goes to show though that he must be getting enough breast milk with the little top up's if he is gaining weight like a trooper.

Hi to everyone else, hope you are all going well.

AFU: Just back from Tara having her immunisations, she was so good and only screamed when she got the needles - one in each thigh and even managed to smile at us afterwards. She is sleeping now although is a little unsettled and keeps whinging in her sleep, fingers crossed that she doesn't have any reaction but i'm thinking we might have an unsettled night tonight. Thank god tomorrows saturday so DH & I can do shifts if/when she wakes up.

O.k thought I would add to this post... It's 7am on Saturday and Tara is still asleep. She had some baby panadol at 6.30pm last night, had her last feed at 7pm and was in bed by 8pm. She is still asleep now, so that's an 11 hour block so far. I think this is the first time I have woken up before her in the morning. Looks like the panadol took the discomfort away for her and the needles have knocked her out. What a good little girl she is.. Oh, she is also 2 months old today gosh time has flown by.
    Last edited by TaRhLi.; December 12th, 2009 at 06:00 AM. : added extra to original post

Jul 2008
    Melbourne

Hi girls,

Glad you guys and your little ones are doing well. Should really make an effort to join in this forum and share my experiences as well. Just finding time is hard as I have gone back to work and in between work, house work and caring for Lyla I just want to sleep with the rest of the time.

Murph, I hope things turn out well for you both. You've got such positive attitude.

Kelly, don't be surprise if your little one sleeps through the night at around 2 months. Mine moved from sleeping 5-7 hours to a full 9-12 hours sleep at around 7 weeks. That's the beauty of formula feed - it sustain the little one more I think. Would still like to breast feed but nature thinks otherwise. I find the most challenging thing after this period is helping our little ones self settle to go to sleep. I had lots of tips from others and because Lyla is naturally good at sleeping (especially) she learnt to self settle very quickly. We mistook her tiredness for a need for feed in the early stages but soon learnt that she really wanted sleep than feed. I was told that if they take less than their normal full meal ie less than 90ml than probably they are not very hungry and is only snacking to settle to sleep.

Janie, first words are amazing aren't they. My little one babbles all the time, especially in the morning when she wakes and waits for mum to come and get her. I don't understand a darn thing but can't wait until the day she says mumma. She's not yet crawling but is rolling around and pushing herself forward with her knees and feet (knee tuck under and bum pointing right up and feet crawing away )

Hi to everyone else I have not mentioned.

Oct 2008
    Far north Queensland

Hi Miss Magpie and Trent - glad to hear you are going well, apart from the wind pains. Have you tried burping in all kinds of different positions (sorry if dumb question, I'm just finding that things often arent written in the books and you become an expert on your own baby through trial and error - and it feels good I find that Jasmine always needs to be sat on her bum on my lap or the edge of the table, slumped over with chin in my hand and patted on the back. If that doesn't work, then we try various over the shoulder positions, all look very awkward and almost wrong, but they work. I hope you get some relief soon.

Kelly D - haha, i spoke too soon about Jazz settling into sleeping patterns, that night, I was back to 2 hourly wake ups all night. she's a bit all over the shop and at the moment, I'd actually prefer she doesn't sleep too long so if I get 5 hours in a stint at this stage I'm happy. I really only had a couple of 8 hour nights but coming off 2 hourly feeds, the 5 hours are a welcome relief. We don't get any crying unless we miss all the signs so that's a really good thing. Ithink because she sleeps right by the bed and when she stirs, we (haha, I mean, I) am on top of it she doesn't get worked up.

Hi Kahlan - nice to see you and Lyla popping in to update us. Wow, 5 1/2 months already and almost crawling - so cute! I'm still getting over Janie's Jasmine being 8 months.

Lenny, Marcellus, QueenH and everyone I haven't met yet, hope you are all trundling along happily. We don't seem to get as much time to talk in this thread. I know that the times I seem to be able to get on now, I have Jazzy attached feeding and I'm considering typing one-handed as I scroll through. I haven't done it yet though, I always put my entries in the too hard basket at those times and just read instead.

I experienced my first screaming fit from Jasmine while out doing the groceries. I thought it would pass and as I was driving, and had just fed and changed her before leaving the shops, I really pushed it to make it to the next proper stop on the way home instead of just pulling to the side of the road. Then I got to a stretch of coastal road where I just couldn't pull over. It nearly killed me to not be able to respond to her (as nature intended I suppose). Who ever invented the words "controlled crying" must have had a heart of stone. It's not a school I'm signing up to. She was dehydrated and though she didn't need feeding she needed to drink and the crying on top of that stressed her to the max. I will never do it again. I was absolutely frazzled by the time I got home and had stopped two more times to give her drinks. It's been really hot and getting carted around the country side takes it toll. I only live half an hour from the nearest town, but I have to wait for the car ferry so it is really drawn out and my usual 3 hour return shopping trip took 5 and a half hours . I was so done in. we both were and DH thinks he had better take over the task. I don't wnat to give up, I just want to get better at reading the signs and if it's going to take longer, then so be it as long as we are both up to it. I almost laid down to have a big cry (you know the exhausted cry), but remembered I had to make a video message for my nephew and DH had learnt "happy birthday" to play on his guitar so we had a few laughs instead and I soon forgot my previous mood. Jazz and I went and laid down for a little while while DH made tea (yummy sushi rice and veg) and brought it into bed and laid it out picnic style on the bed, complete with axe cushions, table cloth and pot of green tea. So sweet that fella of mine. This is why Valentines day means nothing to me when the everyday things can be so special. what a relief to not have to move or think!

Seeya soon, I got choc fudge brownie with my name on it...yummmmy!

Oct 2007
    Vic

Hi all,
    Sorry for no personals today but just catching up after getting home...

Last Thurs Mum had a big neck operation so have been in Melb at my sisters place (up for flights of stairs - no lift), for the past few days. Despite being very out of routine, DS was great, although he is very sick of getting in and out of cars as we have had 2+wks of travelling. Fingers crossed we can have a quieter week, although we have to go to Albury Hospital on Thurs to learn how to do wet dressings for his eczema!

Hope that everyone is going along well and getting ready for the heat that is coming by the end of the week!

Stay cool everyone!
    FG

Nov 2007

Murph: I think I spoke too soon, as Tara has been really unsettled since Saturday. She is struggling to sleep during the day and wakes with crying fits and she isn't sleeping better at night either at the moment. She seems to be getting some side effects from the injections ie: diarrohea and vomiting, not a lot mind you but I think she has been getting lots of tummy pains as she seems to feel better after getting rid of what is in her tummy. Poor baby is so tired and cranky and I feel bad having to medicate her to help ease the discomfort, fingers crossed she will start to pick up soon.

FG: I didn't know Archer had eczema, how uncomfortable for him. A friend of our's little boy also has eczema and he has been admitted to hospital twice as it got so bad. He also has to have wet dressings. I feel for your little man.

Oh well as Tara is so unsettled it is good I have no plans at all, so am hoping she picks up before Xmas or else she is going to be a major cranky pants with all the visitors and external stimulation she will get. Although even though she is suffering from a lot of discomfort she still manages to give us smiles as well, so deep down she is still a happy little girl.

Better go, she is screaming again....

Mar 2008
    Where dreams are now reality

Hi Gals

Sorry Ive been MIA, I have been lurking but just not keeping up at the moment! Just started reading and replying and realised I was replying to things posted in mid November . So I'm posting a very quick hello so I can restart from here and keep up to date with you all. Sorry for no personals but I will make a better effort this time hehe.

Take care all x

Mar 2007
    Sydney

Got room for one more???
    Hey ladies just jumping on this thread and will catch up with you all in the next few days.

So BIG hello's for now and BBL

Mar 2008

Hi Nicole S, I'm a bit of a newbie here but I'd like to welcome you aboard! Looking forward to hearing about you and your little man .

Feb 2008
    Melbourne

Hey there Nic and LD - Welcome to the thread. Hope you are both well and looking forward to hearing more about how you are both going.

Janie and Jasmine xxx

Mar 2008

Hi girls.

Obviously like you all, we were LTTTC, I have a bit of question and I need some honest opinions.

I hate DD being out of my sight and everyone seems to want to keep taking her! My mum keeps pushing DH and me to go out while DD stays at her house, I continually refuse as I dont want to leave her and my mother is a big fan of letting babies cry it out or at least cry for an extended time. Last week my aunty picked up DD and said she was going to take her outside as she was upset, I asked her not go out in the 40 degree heat with her and she did anyway, I was nearly in tears! my other aunty saw what was happening and went and got her.
    I dont mind anyone having a cuddle or chat to DD but I do not want people to keep taking her away from me! I am happy with what ever DH does with her, if he has her outside or Im outside but I dont even want to leave her with him while I go out (I know he is quite capable) but what if she gets upset and he can't settle her? I hate hearing her cry her heart out.

In the hospital the midwives continually tried to take her to the nursery and even snuck in the room on several occasions and thought they would take her to the nursery anyway, telling me I wasnt meant to wake up when they came in! Then they told me and DH to have a day pass while we left 'the baby' at the hospital.....um, no I dont think so thankyou very much.

I have had nightmares since we have been home where I wake up hysterical that someone has taken her and DH has to reassure me she is still there

So I guess in this long winded post, I am wondering if anyone else felt similar to me? Did you hate your very precious little one away from you or is something wrong with me??? Will I eventually ease back or am I going to cause my DD to be a maladjusted little girl??? Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks ladies xx

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

Lily - i hated anyone taking DD from me - ESPECIALLY when she was upset. i dont' care if they have 20 kids of their own - she is MY DD and i'll do it MY way - and don't you DARE try and keep her from me!

we recently had our first few hours away from DD since her birth - she was 6months 2days old. we had tix for a concert - one that DH had wanted to go to for as long as i've known him. so we had to leave her. i thought about how my mum behaves (she believes in CIO but is, to my face, respectful of our decision not to) - and the amount of time we'd have to be apart from her for a Melb concert (we live 2 hours out of Melb) - then i realised my cousins live much closer to Melb - so mum came with us, and stayed there with DD. i knew my cousins have similar parenting style to us - so wouldn't let mum use CIO, DD was much closer to us... anyway, i almost bailed on the concert even then. it just didnt' feel right. we didn't go to all this effort to have her to not be her parents full time!

so no, you are most definitely NOT alone on that thought

i would be making a huge issue if someone took DD outside without my consent. we keep our house a fairly consistent temp - and only take DD out on the hot days if we HAVE to - it's not fair to them - not like they can really say they're hot! you have to judge that yourself - and at 2 months, you still have to hold them very close, so that adds heat. you're well within your rights to be upset and crack the poops about that. in all honesty, i'd probably tell people that you birthed her, you will make the decisions - and they either respect that or rack off (ok, i HAVE said that - but i'm very forthright!). don't let people push you around - step up to the plate and tell them your baby your way!

oh, and there is nothing wrong with my bubba for being looked after by her mumma! she'll go to others, but makes sure we're there (either daddy or mummy - granma at a pinch...). my SIL was very much like this with all three of her kids - and they're brilliant kidlets now - very social, very happy to spend time with other people - in fact, the nine and five year olds actively ask for sleepovers here every second weekend!

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jan 2006

Just checking in quickly from NZ...

Lily Dust - the way you feel is perfectly normal. You are her mother - listen to your heart. you know what's best for her, so put your foot down and don't feel bad about telling others how it'll be with her.
    And oh my goodness at those midwives! That's really awful. I still feel weird about being away from DS, I couldn't imagine how awful I'd have felt if someone took him from me when he was just born! I remember he had to spend a night in the nursery and that was terrible. I could hardly sleep - kept waking up panicking.

Glad you got to that concert BG.

Hi Nicole

A's been pretty good with the travel and time zone differences. Bed time is a bit hard over here - it's not properly dark till after 9:30!! He insists on sleeping in the bed with me, which is ok, but last night he hardly slept at all. We worry he's coming down with something.... hope not. We're off camping for the weekend with DH's sister and her family.
    Anyway, he's having a ball doing the chores with DH - feeding the dog & chickens.

Catch you later

Jan 2004

Just a quick helllo from me...I have been slack and not keeping up with the thread the last couple of weeks.. I am aiming to go back and catch up though...I promise
    Just wanted to ask BG a quick question though...Have been trying to search for the Amby recall thread, and my search is not working Wondering if you got an email back from amby australia?

Nov 2007

Lily Dust: OMG, how inconsiderate people have been to your feelings, Tara is very similar in age to your DD and I wouldn't let anyone just pick her up and take her wherever they wanted. She is your precious baby and you are the one who is responsible for making decisions about her, not anyone else so you have every right to be mad.

I'm lucky as I only have my parents close by and when I see them they never take Tara from me I'm the one always giving her to them to hold. DH is the same, he always seems to ask me if he can pick her up or hold her (I think that is more to do with me knowing her moods and what each cry means, than him being scared of doing something wrong). My IL's will be here on Boxing Day and haven't seen her since she was 3 weeks old but I don't think they would just take her either, I think they are respectful enough to realise that we know what is best for our baby.

Hi everyone else, haven't seemed to have the energy to post in here for a little bit. Tara had a couple of rough days after her immunisations with vomiting, diarrohea and unsettled sleep plus I think she might be getting a bit of a cold as well. She has been sneezing quite a bit and I have had to do lots of booger fishing (that's the term we use to get the mucous out of her nose) and has been sleeping lots during the day, but she doesn't have a fever which is good. Although we are celebrating in our house now as she has now started sleeping for 10 hours at night, a couple of times a night she will make noises and wake us up but she goes straight back to sleep again . Everything else is going well, lots of smiles and chatter and also getting giggles as well.

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

nic, i got a reply hun - PM me your email addy if you want and i'll forward it to you

Oct 2007
    Rural England

Hi everyone,

I've just finished replying in a thread about someone feeling a little lonely based on how they perceive their "village" around them, and it's given me the kickstart to get my butt into gear. I've been feeling the lack of a village around me, and I know that I can only fix this by reaching out more, so I am doing that now.

I haven't been in this thread for such a long time - I think I didn't end up posting/subscribing when it became #2 thread early on, and then I kept meaning to and didn't get around to it with moving house blah blah blah etc. and in the end I became really embarrassed and shy that I was stupidly not interacting with the woman that would most understand me and my situation (that I was still dealing with PND and how to be a mum after IVF and felt I couldn't just get my act together). And then I was irrationally worried about the fact that I've not been in the thread to follow and support you all too you get the idea.

So anyway, this is me jumping back in, and hoping it's okay!

I will look forward to catching up with you all as I spend some time reading through and also getting to know ladies I don't know yet.

AFU - DD turned 1 yesterday and we celebrated with a lovely little party at our house with a couple of her little friends and DD's grandparents and aunt (my ILs). It was really wonderful, and I had the best time I've had in ages! We've now been breastfeeding for 12 months, so I'm really very proud, and feeling quite on top of the world at the moment - and I think strong enough to get past my regular negative headspace to come and join in here again

Look forward to catching up

... 41213141516 ...