... 4567816 ...

thread: Parenting after LTTTC #2

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

hi ladies

Sazz - it's ok to be talking about your decision - i guess it's something all of us have or will contemplate at some point - it's helpful to know that you can make that decision and be ok with it!

Lenny - it's hard having a DH that works away so much isn't it? mine was just away for 10 days and by the end, i couldn't wait for him to come home just for the distraction factor for Emerald. i can get so much done if i don't have a bubba in my arms - would probably be similar if she would snooze in a sling or carrier but she refuses! i was really worried about how she'd react - 10 days in the life of a 10 week old is a huge amount of time! but she woke up from sleeping in the car last night to find daddy laying there in the bed watching her (mummy was changing her nappy - i got ripped!!) - she gave him the biggest sweetest smile, and then they were in their own little world - i just didn't exist for a while. daddy gave her big snuggles before bed and she snuggled back, and when she woke this morning he got her out of bed and ust held her and talked to her. i think 10 days in the life of his 10 week old was a bit much for daddy too!

not a lot happening here - had to do the shopping today - survived - but i hate shopping - it just drives me insane. trying to shop for food for home and for DH to have in his truck withoout buying twice as much stuff... sigh... at least E was almost perfect - cried when we were in BIG W cos she wanted lunch (fair enough - it was lunch time and we'd been out and about for a while). fed, fell asleep in daddy's arms, and that was it til we came out to the car (and mummy generously fed her again, put her in her car seat, got in the front seat and her the explosion! we were on our way home though so just kept going - too cold to change her with the door open in the back of the car and the boot was full with pram and shopping)

Dec 2005

Thanks guys... it's a bit frustrating as I'd like to make the decision *now*, but realistically, even if we decide to do something with those frosties... it's at least 12 months away... it's so hard to just put them out of my head! I'm so not a patient person, and this is really testing my patience!

BG, we braved BigW today as well... big mistake. In fact, I did it twice today! The first one I went to didn't have the cook book I saw yesterday and decided I wanted to get, so that meant I had to head back to a second one later in the day.

Lenny, just to give you a big fright - Sam will be 8 months old next week! DH is in complete denial over it and it's so hard to believe he's that old! Still not crawling, but the longer he stays immobile the better in my mind!

Had an interesting experience today running into an ex-student with her 3 week old baby. She just seemed so tiny, but was significantly larger than Sam was at birth... I just can't see that tiny little baby any more - just this enormous, boofy, gorgeous little boy that is snuggling in my arms... STILL not sleeping! It's been one of those days...

ETA: on the subject of inheriting infertility... I think it's a load of bull! I'm sure that in some cases it does happen, but how many of us inherited our parents' fertility? Both DH and I came from extremely fertile familes where nobody else had any issues at all... and then there's us.

BW

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jan 2006

heheheh, car seat explosion! I love it - brings back so many memories....
    8 months? and E's nearly 3 months...!
    Hope the sleeping happens for you soon.... 16 months and counting here I'm afraid.

Looks like A is sick again. Maybe just a cold or something. He's perked up with some panadol so can't be too bad. Bloody daycare!

Nov 2004
    Melbourne VIC

It's nice to see this thread moving again.
    Sazz, I admire your decision to not continue with AC. It must be a weight lifted and exciting to be able to plan for the future as a family of three.
    We have also decided no more AC. But we were almost at that decision when I found out I was pg naturally with DS. Given that I had a natural pg, we are hoping it may happen again but if it doesn't we will be content with our little boy. During my c/s I found out I have a bicornuate uterus which is possibly why I had trouble conceiving. It's good to finally know what the problem is, but frustrating to have had it go undetected all these years.
    DS hit the 4 month mark on the weekend and I can see 2 teeth ready to poke through down the bottom. He had a few grouchy days over the weekend, but has been a dream ever since so I don't think they are bothering him too much. He's not rolling yet and in no hurry to either! I am certainly in no hurry for him to grow up. Have continued going to mothers group after our official sessions ended, but am a bit put off by the competitive nature of some of the mothers. Not sure if I will keep going if it's going to be like that.
    Sorry, DS just woke up for his last feed for the night. Hopefully will get back to finish personals later.

Dec 2006
    Smidgen-ville

Yeh, it's nice to see this thread rolling along again.

Sazz - thanks so much for asking after my brother. It's hard to think that it was a year ago. He is actually in the US for a 3 month working holiday. I would love to talk to them about their loss, but I never know what to say. I really hope they get the joy of bringing a bub home one day. And no, sadly the family (DH's and mine) never visit. It's all up to us. We have always been a long way from our families, but only now that we have DS do we really question if it is the right thing.

BG - I can imagine that Mr B found it very hard to be away for 10 days. That really IS a long time when you are only 10 weeks old. Liam has even learned a few new tricks since DH left (like playing drums on everything!).

BW & Megan - they crawl and walk in their own good time, and sometimes i think that the later they do it the better. Their little brains aren't ready, and they take the biggest tumbles and crashes.

Megan - that's such a shame about your mum's group. Mine still meets every week! There is only one competitive mother and we all just ignore her comments now. We are all VERY different, but it works well. I know we are lucky though, most groups don't survive as well as ours. I hope you can take one or two friends away with you.

marcellus - 16 months and counting. The other day someone asked me how old he was and i couldn't remember. Gone are the days of counting in weeks.
    Daycare is good for getting bugs - it'll get him all immune by the time school starts!

Dec 2006
    Smidgen-ville

Oh and Sazz, if you have some of C's things to give away there is a thread in Plat about a BBer who might need a bit of help.

Jan 2006

Sorry about your mothers' group Megan. I like mine. It seems like the one safe place to just natter on about our babies and what they're doing (without boring people stupid, I mean). It doesn't feel competitive at all though. We don't meet up all that often though. Maybe you can 'take away' some new friends from the group.

So Lenny, are you thinking about moving back to NZ? Whereabouts in NZ are you from? It must be hard when you're always the one travelling. DH's grandparents came out when DS was a couple of months old. Unfortunately they couldn't stay long. DH's mum especially loved being here with Aric - I'm sure she's really thrilled about seeing him again in December.

I'm not sure about the immunity thing - cc kids just seem to be sick all the time . Doesn't make weaning any easier since he needs more milk when he's sick.

Hi to everyone!

Jan 2006

AF has returned! (cause you soooo wanted to know that)

Nov 2004
    Melbourne VIC

lol Marcellus! Mine too, but last month. Not fair...fully breastfeeding and she still comes back after 3 months.
    I have decided to stick out mothers group a bit longer. It's hard because we are a small group and the babies range in age from 3-6 months, so they're at different stages of development. I guess that's why I don't understand the competitiveness. I'll get over it, but once the 2 ladies I get along with go back to work in the new year I might call it a day.
    Noah has had a rough day. I think it must be his teeth again. Both the bottom ones look like they are ready to break through... but they looked like that a couple of days ago and the disappeared again and he was fine. Is this how it works? They just come and go until eventually the pop through? It's been going on for about 10 days now. He is also having his 4 month needles on Wednesday. teething on top of needles My poor boy.

BW, I hear you about newborns. I can't imagine Noah being that little. I was looking at some photos last night and couldn't believe the difference. It made me a little teary, but he's a joy as a happy, giggling 4 month old. I don't think the first weeks were this much fun!

Dec 2006
    Smidgen-ville

marcellus - amazing that AF took that long, although mine only came back when i started "scheduling" DSs feeds as opposed to more "demand" feeding.

Megan - some teeth seem to come and go and come again. Some seem to turn up overnight. It's not fair really, poor little tykes.

Jan 2006

Ripped off Megan! I guess I've been quite lucky really. In a few months it'll start getting painful again and then I'll be slapping myself for wishing it back.

Yep, teeth do that! It's a real pain. With A's first 'batch' of 6 teeth the last one took six weeks to come through! No.s 6-12 have taken 4 months to cut... these molars are a killer.

And he's still sick. And I'm sick. And DH went off to work this morning with a cough. Oh yes, it's going to be another great week.

Jan 2006

Just a little woohoo for me - A didn't cry when I dropped him off at daycare today!

Hope you're all doing well

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

that's fantastic Marcellus!

not a lot happening here - E is just travelling along,coming forward in leaps and bounds. such a lovely natured little soul most of the time - but OMG - the red-head temper is shocking lol

Dec 2006
    Smidgen-ville

Oh, yay for you marcellus. It's tough, I know. L still cries when he realises that we are at daycare (he does 3 hours on a thursday). But he has an absolutely fantastic time - I know, because i have snuck in early a few times to pick him up and he is running and playing and dancing with all the other kids. But usually he starts to cry again when he sees me...they make it tough on their mummies!!

BG - pleased to hear that E is a lovely baby. Long may it last. I don't think you have to have a red-head to have a temper! Little darlings one minute, crazy tantrum throwing toddler the next

Oct 2008
    brisbane australia

hi ladies I thought its time for me to join as my boy is finally here! he is 3 weeks on tuesday allready! i see some familiar faces in here!

Just a question

As i had a c section due to a failed induction (much like Briggsys experience) i found it VERY difficult to breastfeed and bubs lost half a kilo the first 3 days and only has just gotten to his birth weight now, they had to put him on top up feeds as my nipples were destroyed! he is always constipated and is even now doing solid poos! im very worried about him, he also had projectile after every feed on the weekend and we took him to the ER and spent the night in childrens ward, did some tests and couldnt find a reason although they suspect a condition that is progressive and will require an operation but to keep an eye on him and bring him back if it happens again. what im wondering is is there anyway to make him have soft and daily bowel movements as he is mostly on formula and should be pooing! and definately not solid, he is always screaming and seems in pain and im very stressed.

Feb 2008
    Melbourne

MHB - welcome and congratulations on the safe arrival of Jonathon. I'm unsure of what is safe to help soften up bubs poos. I know that some formula's can constipate babies, so maybe a different formula would help. In those early weeks my lifeline was the maternal health nurse (VIC) hotline. I was ringing them up all the time to check on even the smallest thing. I'm not sure if you are in VIC, if you are let me know and I will PM the number to you if you don't have it. I think every state would have something similar.

Otherwise, go to your pharmacist and see if there is anything that they would suggest.

Those early weeks really are such a big adjustment. Let me know if there is anything that I can help you with - sorry I couldn't help much with this.

Janie xxx

Jan 2006

Hi MHB - Welcome and congratulations on the arrival of your son.
    Sorry to hear you've had a rough start. Really hope you can get some answers soon about your son's condition.
    As for poos -
    Are you still breastfeeding at all? Cause more breastmilk may help (even if you can just express some if nipples too sore to feed, for eg).
    I know poos are different for formula-fed babies, but i don't think they should be solid at all. Perhaps a different formula might work - have you posted in the ff area? The ladies there might have some good recommendations.
    Otherwise I have heard of giving cooled boiled water to constipated babies. Given his age though I'd recommend calling a healthline, or talking to your nurse or doctor about what would be best to do. The ladies on the ABA helpline may also have some good advice for you.
    Best to get some medical adivce in real life to try and get on top of things quickly.
    All the best to you~ Hope things get a bit easier for you guys from here.
    (and let us know how you're getting on)

Oct 2008
    brisbane australia

thanks ladies, I got some advice from GP and he said try the cooled boiled water thing and it seems to have helped him a bit. I will keep an eye on him. also yes i do still breastfeed but mostly express and bottlefeed with the breastmilk coz he is so fussy on the nipple!

Other than that issue I feel really blessed as he is quite a good baby! he sleeps 3 hour intervals and wakes at midnight 3 am and 6 am every night and sleeps in his cot without a fuss like a good boy! i was so expecting him to scream constantly especially after all the horror stories i hear.

... 4567816 ...