... 56789 ...

thread: Parenting after LTTTC #2

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jan 2006

Ah good, hope the poos situation settles down for you. That's great he's settled into a nice sleeping routine for you!

Well, A is sick...again! I'm not working for the next couple of weeks so will probably just give him a break from teh daycare lurgies. the housework can wait
    Hope everyone is doing well

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2007
    In my own little world.

Aw Marcellus. I feel your pain! Celeste has gastro. She's had it on and off for a week now but last night and today are worse. I'm taking her to the hospital clinic at 6pm to get checked as she is hardly weeing anymore. Bloody sick and tired of the constant bugs!!!!!!! Hope he recovers quickly for you so you can enjoy your time off together.

Better go and get this washing hung out... we are running out of clean pjs and sheets etc!

Jan 2006

Oh no Sazz, that's awful. Poor little thing! Good luck at the clinic and hope she's better very soon.
    It is soooo hard when they're sick, hey? I guess we've been very fortunate really in that he didn't have his first illness till around 11 months.
    A's ok, just snotty and coughing. Nothing too serious really.

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2007
    In my own little world.

Well I didnt take her to the clinic as she perked up a bit around 4pm and has had two pieces of toast with jam and a good drink and kept it all down. (I made her consume it slowly though, cause a big feed seems to come straight back!) She is playing again now so I'm hoping she is on the mend now.

DH also has it and is apparently dying. Men:

I am meant to be hosting mum's group this week but given our record of the bug coming back after a day or two I am going to try to get someone else to do it. I'm annoyed though as one close friend is moving interstate next weekend and this is the last big get together for us all

Dec 2006
    Smidgen-ville

Sorry to hear about the lurgies going around. Thankfully we are all sickness free at the moment - but it never lasts long.

Not much happening here, just getting larger and larger by the day . I tore my abdominals during labour with DS and I never got it properly fixed Now I am suffering a bit, and I have to wear a brace. Funny thing is they don't do a pg brace in a small enough size Never mind...i'll grow into it. It's not going to be fun as the weather warms up again, but better than the constant pain.

Where is everyone else these days?? You can tell that it gets easier with 18+ month olds - we are the only ones posting

Jan 2006

hmmm, define easier
    Youch! I didn't even know you could do that Lenny. That must have been super painful.

Hope C is on the road to recovery Sazz. As for your husband.... My DH is a bit like that when he's sick (oh my goodness, he has to tell me all about it in very tiny detail), but he's great when I am sick. I keep telling him he'd be an excellent nurse.
    Were you able to reschedule your meetup?

Hi everyone else...

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2007
    In my own little world.

Hmm somethings are definately easier (like I am beginning to be able to reason with C) but I think other things become more difficult (like being unable to do/discuss things without her knowing).

Mum's group is going ahead. She is back to full strength so I'm crossing all fingers and toes that we have had our share now. DH went to work although there was some fuss made. I mentioned that when i am sick I still get the washing done, the dishwasher going and unpacked, cook tea and feed/change/look after a toddler all day whereas when he is sick he sits on the couch for the ENTIRE day. He is unable to take a glass to the kitchen it seems Lucky I like him I guess

That sounds ouchie Lenny!!! my old aerobics teacher had similar with her abdominals and had a big gap still in the front even after many years. Are you able to get yours repaired surgically or what will you do? Will it effect this next labour?

Celeste is really starting to use imagination in her play now. It's very cute to watch! She will make sad noises if her teddy or baby are sad and then comfort them. Or she will use a calculator for a phone. And she "reads" herself a story now too. upside down with madeup language
    I seem to be getting somewhere now with explaining that when she wakes up she can just roll over and get warm and comfy and go back to sleep instead of standing up and crying. Last night I talked about it and put her back without picking her up and she took it well and then didnt stir for the rest of the night! Wonder if she will remember though?

Jan 2006

That's awesome sazz, what a clever girl!
    A insists that anything rectangular in shape is a phone

Oct 2008
    brisbane australia

hi ladies!

just wondering when does it start to get a bit easier and when did you start to get a bit more than a 2 hour block of sleep? my boy is 3 weeks tomorrow and still isnt in a set routine he has great nights and days then some real shockers and im starting to get really exhausted.

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2007
    In my own little world.

Hang in there Lydia, it does get easier I promise! I'm sorry to say that most people say the first 6 weeks are the hardest so you are halfway there. Celeste had colic until around 9 weeks or so... so for me it was a bit longer.

He is probably still working out which is day and night and feeding etc so it's pretty full on now isnt it? Are you getting a rest in the day at all? Hopefully he will feed 3 or 4 hourly soon with maybe a cluster feed in the evening. You will feel much better once that starts to happen.

Dec 2005

to you, Lydia. It does eventually get easier, but I couldn't exactly say when. I was blessed with a very easy baby who came home on a four hour feeding schedule from the hospital - but I think a lot of that came out of the fact that he was premmie, bottle fed and spent ten days in SCN getting put into that routine. Although, he is the type of kid who likes everything to be a certain way and probably would have got like that fairly quickly if left to his own devices anyway. I kept hearing that it would get a bit easier after 12 weeks... The times didn't really apply to us with the early arrival factor. Hang in there!

I can report that Sam now has two teeth! After a nightmare week of him refusing food - ranging from point blank refusing to eat anything to at other times refusing to eat unless it was finger food while still other times it had to be mush from a spoon... two teeth popped through on Sunday morning during church! He now seems to be making up for his week of non-eating... We used to have to convince him to open his mouth for the first spoon so he could decide whether he liked it or not - I've had him today with his mouth open, ready and waiting for the spoon before he's even had that first taste! Crazy thing is that there were no other signs of teething at all - no rosy cheeks, no more drool than normal, no rash, no nasty nappies (he's been constipated all week because of the not eating), no more chompy than normal... Strange child!

BW

Jan 2006

Lydia. Yes, I would say generally around 8-10 weeks things settle down a lot.
    How are you doing? Do you have help during the day and night? Anyone you can rope in to give you a break? It's all about survival in the early days - just gotta do whatever works best for you guys. It's hard to see things improving when you're in the thick of it, but over time you'll start to see more good nights than bad. Try not to look too far ahead - it just starts to get a demoralising after a while.

Congrats on your first teeth BW. Hope the next lot come in with a little less fuss (and more food).

Jan 2004

Hey everyone, thought i would pop in to see how we are all doing. Haven't been posting much lately, needed a little time away..

BW - YAY for Sam's teeth

Sazz - Hoep everyone is all better at your house now, and the nasty bugs stay away.

BIG Hello's to everyone else sorry for my lack of personals. Things are going alright here with us. DS is 14 months now, and started walking by himself last week! Look out world! He was unwell last week with a cold, and teething and as a result, we have gone from 2-3 breastfeeds per day back to about 4-5 plus our night time ones where he is sleeping in 2 hour blocks. We had him going down for around 3-4 hour sleeps before last week plus he has dropped all bottle feeds BUT on a positive note, he is getting better with his solids...
    Anyway, just wanted to say hi to everyone, will try to visit a bit more now

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

hiya nic - long time no see!

Lydia - a newborn bubba is full on - so rely on whoever you can to give you some support whenever you need it. if it means kicking your DP out of bed and making him organise nappies and stuff, DO IT! you need to rest as much as you can whenever you can with a newborn hun! if you can feed laying down, it will help heaps cos you're resting at the same time. up until DD was about 4 or 5 weeks i was having an afternoon nap with her every day - i'd go and feed her in bed and i'd doze as well. i would just put a DVD on that i wanted to watch, and after five or six days, i'd actually see it all! now, i make sure to go to bed at the same time DD goes down for the night, and i'll sleep with her in bed with me in the mornings to make sure we both get longer to sleep. it will get easier once you're both used to each other. you are both still learning about each other, your boy is learning about this scary big wide world - it's just a bit scary for both of you! every bubba is different though - some sleep longer earlier, others later. my DD has been sleeping 5 or more hours at a stretch since she was about 5 or 6 weeks - she has regressions during growth spurts/wonder weeks, but she now sleeps up to 13 hours with only one wake up for a feed around 6am. when she was first born, and the first four weeks or so, she was feeding two hourly round the clock. so it can happen early! just make sure you don't let anyone try to force you to do more than you're ready to do. if the dishes wait, stiff bikkies! you and your son are THE most important thing right now - chores will wait!
    if you can get hold of a copy of the book "the wonder weeks" it will explain a lot about unsettled periods in the first 15months or so of your sons life - it's all about mental developmental leaps - i was a sceptic until i got hold of the book and, on reading it (given DD was going through her 12 week WW at the time) i was completely seeing what was happening as a wonder week. your son will be approaching one at week 5 - but it can come a bit early or late... if you google "cyh wonder weeks" it's the first link that comes up. it's the SA version of child health nurse website - very helpful

BW - yay on Sam finally cutting those teeth! they've been a long time coming!

AFU - well, i think we're going through a bit of a sleep regression. last week we had two nights in a row where DD woke at around 3-4 for a feed, then went back to her normal sleeping through til 7-8. this week, she's done the same two nights in a row. am kinda hoping she sleeps through tonight, but she's almost due a growth spurt (they're every 6weeks or so aren't they?) or maybe a wonder week starting a little early. she is getting to be more of a mummy's girl at night - she'll be perfectly content sitting with me, no grizzling or anything, not wanting a feed or anything - hand her to daddy for snuggles, and she lasts no more than a couple of minutes before wanting me again. poor daddy! at least she is a daddy's girl during the day when he's around! even had her first shower with daddy yesterday. she loved it! for a girl who has never been rained on, and only really had her head wet in the bath (when he is laid in water) and at her christening - she did fanstastically!

Oct 2007
    Vic

Hello all...

I cant belive that I have finally made it here! Our little boy is now 8 weeks old...how time flys! He was born by emerg CS after waters broke but nothing really happened post that. Like MHB, our bub lost more than 10% of bodyweight in hospital, and we were readmitted to the maternity ward only a few days after discharge because he was not putting on weight. We have been breastfeeding and topping up with formula since he was 2 days old - and I must admit that I'm still struggling with the whole BF thing...

Anyway, look forward to catching up with everyone!
    FG

Dec 2006
    Smidgen-ville

Congrats on Archer's arrival FG. I hope things pick up from here on with his weight - but don't stress too much.
    I hope you can drop the comp feeds because I think that can make life easier - just feeding one way or the other. Don't be afraid to admit that BF can be a challenge. I thought it was going to be easier but I found BF hard - but ultimately I was really pleased i persevered. I did find a merry band of supporters and helpers in the BF thread (marcellus being one of them )

Good luck with these first crazy hectic months, and congrats again

Jan 2006

Congrats Farmgirl, and welcome over here!
    Breastfeeding is often difficult in the early days - well, isn't everything with this parenting gig? But it's doubly extra hard if you're also worrying about your little one getting enough to eat. Definitely check out the breastfeeding threads if you haven't already - there are lots of lovely supportive ladies who have been through pretty much everything there is and made it out the other side.

That was really nicely said BG . How's your little girl going at the moment? Has she settled better in the past few days?

Hi Nic, nice to see you round again. Sounds like it's one step forward one back... Way to go walking already - can't beleive it's been 14 months already! I think everyone else's babies must grow way faster than mine... seems like it anyway

Well, A actually ate dinner tonight. so here's hoping he can sleep a bit. What with all the snot lately we haven't been getting much sleep. oh well. can sleep later, right...?

Hi everyone else~~

Oct 2008
    brisbane australia

farmgirl - yay you are back! i was wondering what happened! I struggle with the BF thing too its not as easy as we expect is it? hope all is well and look foward to hearing more from you.

... 56789 ...