Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Pregnancy after Long Term TTC #1 - 2009

Good luck Megan!!!!

All the best Megan!!! I know you're probably not reading this morning, but I'll be thinking of you today.

I have my Ob appointment today and I am 99% sure baby is still in the same spot as baby has been for the last 10 weeks (Unless I had a REALLY good night sleep and baby turned really sneakily).

Can't wait to hear all about it.

M-wha.

x

oh, good luck to you too nixon.

just a question about bts and scans during pregnancy.

we have another beta test tomorrow morning and have been told we'll need to book in for a viability scan on the 28th to check for a heartbeat/sack.

apart from those how often do you have BTs up to the 7-week scan? i understand you get 3 scans on medicare - but how many do you need? (if preg is average/healthy).

i was hoping they would do regular BTs just because it was ivf (and i'm paranoid it might not last the distance). but that also might just make things worse.

thanks ladies.

still smiling!

Thanks Grub.

I had 3 blood tests within the first week of getting my BFP and then none after that. I think the ranges of 'normal' get to be so different between each woman that the BT's only serve to add stress - ie: 'Are my numbers normal?' 'They haven't risen as much as I expect', 'Is everything ok with the baby?' A few girls in here I think will agree that after the initial BT's you would be doing yourself a favour by not having too many more to check hormone levels. It will do you head in.

As for scans - I am with an Ob and going private. My Ob has an Ultrasound machine in his office so I got to see my baby every 4 weeks, more recently every 2 weeks and starting next week I will get to see rascal every week.

In terms of the scans they recommend your have with an ultrasound clinic - 7 weeks, 12 weeks & 19 weeks. Sometimes they will refer you again after 19 weeks for another scan, but that is only if there is something they want to check. I have not had any other 'offical' scans since the 19 week scan.

Hope that helps.

Hi Grub

I had one BT to confirm my BFP and then had no more after that to check my levels. I was booked in at 7 1/2 weeks with my FS to have my first scan to check 1. Heartbeat & 2. Number of babies (as I had 2 transferred). I had my first ob appt at 10 weeks (i'm also private like Nixon) and got to see our little bubble as my ob has his own ultrasound machine. I also then had to have all my first trimester blood screening and urine test, look forward to that one as they have to get about 5 vials of blood.

The only ultrasounds that I will be having apart from the ones at my ob office at my 4 weekly appts are my 12 week scan (next week) and then a follow up scan between 18-20 weeks. I wouldn't anticipate having any other "required scans" unless they wanted to check the baby due to delayed growth etc.

It seems every clinic is different as to how many BT's they like to do in the first week or so from a BFP. My clinic only requests follow up BT's if the BFP level was low, but as mine was 305 I didn't need anymore.

Hey everyone..hi again FG. sorry I didn't get back here yesterday but was a yuck day. I seem to have 1 day each week where it just doesn't get better and I just ride it out. It could be a lot worse I know.

As for your choice of names, just remember that no matter what you decide you'll get the SWSWSW syndrome from the people whose opinion you ask. It means "some will, some won't, ...so what?!". There are girls here that love your name Archer and the thought behind it. I'll play devils advocate, I'm getting used to it and it's growing on me but like I said, I always assumed Tex was your baby's name and I really liked it anyway. I'm just giving my honest opinion, so hope you don't find it blunt. That's the "so what" bit. I love the thought behind Archer and it is a good strong, meaningful name. Here's an admission from me, and hey, you don't take the prize for the longest dwelling on names, I started in highschool. I think it's a girl thing, whereas, I can't get DH to be serious for a minute about playing that game with me, he comes up with stupid names like Jesus (pronounced Haysoos) or other inappropriate but fun sounding things, Guido, Geraldo...(idiotto!). I have loved Tiger in all shapes and forms forever. the first flower I ever knew was a tiger lily at my nana's and I was all set with that name long before it was ever used by Michael Hutchence. then I loved and still love Tiger as a boy's name, because like your DH, he calls me Tige and nicknames all babies Tiger and undoubtedly will call ours Tiger. I just love it but is society accepting of another Tiger who's not a professional golfer and which has absolutely nothing to do with the choice of the name. My nana called my Dad Tige and named her blue dog Tige and to me it's so special but ask anyone else and they say the kid would be picked on, it would be gay, blah blah. You know I'm tempted to take my own advice and say SWSWSW!

Oh dear, sorry for the rant... yes I should be studying.

If anyone is still reading, I meant to answer your question about blood tests Grub, I had 3 which was good because I had comparisons. In isolation they are not much use, but to see the numbers double from one to the next in that first week is useful. My 7 and half week scan came early as I had bleeding so I had bloods taken and the scan done instead at just around 6 weeks. At that point I saw the heart beat and my FS said that BTs were no longer relevant because the emby had stuck on. He said that after those initial tests, yu wouldn't want to test anymore because you can miscarry and your levels stil rise so BTs can be very misleading. It's all down to whether you have bleeding (and what the cause is) and scans now. Hope this makes sense.

GOOD LUCK today MEGAN!

BT's and scans - with LOTS of reading, i've come to the conclusion that, beyond six weeks, BT's are a VERY bad idea. the "doubling" pattern changes at around the 6 week mark, and it can stress you no end if the pattern has changed. i had BT at 16DPO and then two more over the next two weeks just to confirm it was climbing. then scan at 6w-ish (which, due to it being IUI not IVF, dated us back to 5w3d). i had a SEVERE drop in symptoms around 7.5weeks just before seeing FS again, so, to put my mind at ease after so many losses, he booked another scan. i then had regular 12 week scan, and have had a brief scan at each Ob appt (roll on Tues!) - so at 15 weeks, morph scan at 20 weeks, ob scan at 24weeks, 4d scan at 28weeks, ob at 29weeks, and next week (33weeks) we'll get another.

the "norm" for pregnancy is the morph scan at 18-20weeks. the 12 weeks scan is optional but seems to be more common - it's supposed to only be referred if you are higher risk for Downs Syndrome baby, but most doctors will now refer you for peace of mind. the earlier scans are unique to IVF cases as there is a higher than average risk of ectopic pregnancy with AC. the only other way they do them routinely is if you're unsure of dates - it's best to scan early. you'd be amused at how many women with a very regular cycle say they can't remember their last AF date to get that early scan! i know those with recurrent miscarriage are also monitored more closely for peace of mind. anything after the 20 week scan tends to only happen if something abnormal is discovered or if mum has GD and they're doing a sizing scan to check on babies size... if baby presents breeech etc...

HTH

good luck Megan!

and a big hello to my other pregnant friends here

Default I'm here - and I'm a Mummy!

This will be a very selfish post I'm afraid - Jasmine arrived in this world at 11:18am on Thursday 2/4/2009 weighing in at 3.47kgs. It was a rather dramatic entrance especially considering what a great pregnancy I had. I will go into full details at another time, but the brief run down is:

Went into early labour about 12:30am on 1/4/2009.
    By 5pm on 1/4/2009 contractions had not progressed further than 1 minute long and 5 mins apart. Called hospital and organised to go in to be monitored to see what was happening.
    While in being monitored had BT and urine tests which confirmed that I had a severe case of Pre-eclampsyia.
    OB put gels on cervix to encourage labour about 9pm 1/4/2009. Because of PE was confined to Bed for the entire birth - not comfortable when having contractions.
    At some stage during the night I was put on the drip to further encourage labour. At that time I had only dilated 1 cm.
    Waters ruptured naturally at about 4am 2/9/2009. Didn't know at the time, but my medical records show that there was marconium (sp?) in the waters.
    Was in agony from lying flat on my back all labour, so finally organised an epidural about 8am on 2/4/2009. Was really disappointed as really wanted to avoid that - but can I tell you - they really work! Felt much better afterwards.
    OB checked dilation again about 9am on 2/4/2009 - would you believe it - I was still only 1cm! Could not believe it!
    Decision was made that I was too sick to carry on labouring and an emergency CS was organised. I'm pleased that the OB had given me a chance still to try and have Jasmine naturally, but accepted the fact that the best thing for the 2 of us at this stage was to get her out.
    So that is pretty much the basics of Jasmine's birth story. Pretty much everything happened that I didn't want, but it was all worth it in the end because I have my precious girl here. I would go through it all again in exactly the same way if it meant I had her at the end.

I'm home from hospital now, so will update on how Jasmine and I are recovering and going soon. But can I just say to you all, no matter if you end up birthing in the way that you always wanted, you still end up with the most precious gift of all.

Congrats to TL on the arrival of Miss C! And big thanks to Paula for letting you all know about Jasmine's arrival - I really appreciate it honey.

Janie xxx

Hey Janie - Congrats - Sorry things didn't go to plan, but I guess they rarely do. I'm glad, you sound so happy and content with everything.

AFM - Baby still in Breech, Caesarean booked, feeling a bit apprehensive but better than last week. I had a major meltdown last week. So, my new (tentative) due date is the 2nd of May. I'm not updating the list as I'm still holding out hope for a last minute turn.

I didn't realise that one of the reasons for the baby being in breech is that there could be an issue with the baby's hips. Apparently nothing to worry about - it's nothing a short stint in a brace won't fix.

Also decided not to go with an ECV. I'm now trying to take the approach that what will be will be.

janie - congratulations! your birth story sounds like it was very unpredictable. well done for getting through it and how amazing to now have Jasmine in your arms!

nixon - my sister's baby had some hip probs as a result of being breech. but he's fine. she thinks the best thing was a paediatric osteopath (you can take bubs when they're very small for a check up). will pray for a last minute turn, but if not, great news that on 2 may you'll have your little one in the world!

grub - welcome and congrats on your pregnancy!

hi to everyone.
    xx

Janie, welcome back mummy
    So glad to hear that you and baby Jasmine are home safe and sound.
    It is a real shame that things didn't go as planned for you but as you said your precious girl is here!!

Nic, that bubs still has time to move around for you. You never know someone might just keep you hanging till the last minute.

AFM, saw OB yesterday and June Bug is still head down bum up for now.
    BP slightly higher than a few weeks ago at 130/90 but I think with everything that happened at work last week it is to be expected.
    On the weight side lost 1kg, but am sure Easter will make up for it

Janie- congratulations on the arrival of Jasmine! I am sorry you had such a stressful time, but glad to hear you and your little girl are both doing well now

Nixon- I am glad you are feeling a bit better now. Wow, not long to go for you now. Thinking of you

Janie!! Congratulations!!!! I know your birth didn't go to plan, but it sounds like they did what had to be done. Especially with meconium present. One of my friends had their little baby girl die 6 hours after birth because she had inhaled meconium, so I'm so glad they rushed her out for you. Congratulations again. It's so wonderful.

Nic, I'm a breech baby myself who had hip problems at birth and I just had a little brace and double-nappies for a while and I'm perfectly ok! (and this was 32 years ago, so I'm sure they're far better at dealing with them now). You're right. What will be will be, and getting your bub out safely is the highest priority.

Hi to everyone else - hope you eat lots of choccie and have a lovely long weekend!

Jenx

janie - CONGRATS! i am glad all is ok which is the main thing, i already have signs of pre eclampsia and may be going down the same track as you, so I understand. jasmine is a lovely name by the way!

Nixon- i was born with dislocated hips and had a splint on for about 3 months after that all was fine, mum had to use cloth nappies though as splint holds the legs open and disposables will not fit! Hopefully bubs will turn for you!

AFM - almost under 150 days YAY!!!! im still not showing or feeling movement so im a bit worried but im trying to stay positive i have no pain or bleeding and still sick every morning, im worried maybe i have a molar pregnancy? but i should have had symptoms and bleeding by 12 weeks, i do have a retroverted uterus pretty bad actually so i guess it will take time to come foward and im not short either, i have a scan in just over 2 weeks and im freaking out! ive come so far i couldnt imagine getting bad news my BP keeps going up and i already have swelling bp at the moment is 150/90 ive been getting heart palpitations too, i just have to focus on the heartbeat i heard 2 weeks ago and pray all is still well, will go backnext week to have another listen.

21 - if you heard a HB it won't be a molar pregnancy - a molar pregnancy is just a mass of cells - no organs or anything develop

AFM - have been having a rough time emotionally, and been spending a lot of time relying on DH via phone and mum in person to keep me sane. thankfully mum has been fantastic. she had a semi-bad pg with me, so she has been really supportive of me. it feels awful to realise i have to accept help, but at the same time, it's nice to know that stuff (like washing baby stuff) is being done!

off to the bone cruncher today - neck is knackered, and lower back really really painful so hopefully i can get some relief

Hi girls,

It has been a while since I last post in here. Have been "normal" so nothing much to report.

Congrats Janie.. what an experience.... I am trying not to imagine or expect anything in terms of labour because I am scared it would not be what I want.. so it is easy just to not care how the bub is delivered.

21 - good luck with your scan.

Megan - I hoped you had an easy birth and can't wait to hear about your experience.

AFM, I am so big now, although sometimes I still forget that I am pg and would be dressing my feet first to be caught at the tummy, still rushing about which DH constantly tells me to slow down (gets a bit unsteady on my feet when I rush about). Well the comfort of 2nd trimester is over for me. I hands are bloated and I have developed carpal tunnel on my left hand which is killing me. My back is so sore. Even going to a massage therapist hasn't helped that much. At night I find it difficult to get into a comfortable position to sleep but luckily when I do finally fall asleep I get a good night sleep. Bub is kicking furiously everyday which is so comforting.. funny though she only kicks on the right side.... must be her favourite side.

Belly rubs to all.

Kahlan

hi girls
    Kahlan - good to hear from you. i hope you manage to get comfortable. sorry to hear about the carpel tunnel - it believe it's very painful...
    BG - I hope you're ok and that DH is home for easter.
    21 - I've had really bad heart palps since about 11 weeks. My obst says its quite normal because of all the new blood. hope you're feeling ok.
    hi JencC, Possums, Nixon, Nicole, Murph, Kelly, Grub, Neptune, Kaydee (sorry, that's everyone's name I can see on this page!)
    AFM, had my 20 week scan today...and we're having a BOY! I can barely contain myself. DH and I are so excited and feel so blessed. Have a happy easter everyone!
    Mels xx

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast