Thread: Sore ovary / ectopic Pg??

Default Sore ovary / ectopic Pg??

Hi everyone!
    I have recently conceived an IVF bubba. I am 5wks 2days currently, but as of yesterday, I am experiencing a very dull ache or pulling feeling in my lower abdomen on the right side. It does feel very much like the sorta ache I sometimes get on that side (only ever on that side) when ovulating from the right, so am hoping it's just my right ovary being somewhat stimulated still after a full stim cycle, but can't help but worry that it could mean an ectopic Pg. Has anyone had or heard of a similar experience. I have my follow up BT tomorrow, so will mention it to my nurse, but could use some reassurance in the mean time.
    It may be of some interest to you that most eggs were collected from my right side?? Also, my 4wk 3day BT showed a HcG level of 262, so am pretty sure this is a good level and not indicative of an ectopic? Is that right?

Wishing happy and healthy Pg's to you all!

Arielle

Arielle, I would imagine you have a scan soon? Try not to worry too much, even without being pregnant my ovaries were incredibly sore after my stim cycle. They really have been through a lot. It could just be a touch of OHSS - that gets worse during pregnancy (the reason we didn't transfer on my stim cycle). Rest up, keep up with fluids - gatorade, powerade, sustagen are all recommended.

If it's really worrying you, call your clinic.

Try not to worry though, I'm sure it's all ok and just from the stim cycle and egg collection.

BW

Hi Arielle, i replied to you in your other post in the first trim discussion, but BW said is true. Keep up the fluids- at least 2L of water a day. Trust me, bring it on now while you dont have any MS!!! Try and get lots of rest, not too much exercise!!!
    Mel

I had pain on my left side when I was first prg and was really concerned about an ectopic but it turned out to just be my ovary which was still enlarged after the stim cycle.

It settled down after a few weeks when my ovaries returned to their normal size.

Your early scan will put your mind at ease, I had mine just after 6 weeks.

Hi Arielle,
    You conceived on a stim cycle, so your ovaries will still be all swollen and sore.
    When i got to my six week scan (6w4d) the sonographer was facsinated by the size my ovaries still were. (and they still had cysts/growths in them too) They take a while to recover - longer than i thought.

Keep up the water...even if it means lotsa trips to the loo at night

Thanks a lot ladies. I went into yesterdays BT a lot calmer after reading your replies.
    The results were all fine: HCG was in the 3100's yesterday, and progesterone good too. The nurse I spoke to about my ache wasn't my regular nurse, and seemed a lot younger and inexperienced. She did put me on hold after I gave her all the details, and then she came back saying it is most likely my ovary, given most eggs were collected from that side, but if it got any worse then I am to ring them ASAP. I am pretty happy with that for now, and am feeling much more relaxed, so will just wait it out til the scan next week.
    Thanks again ladies for your help. I am most definitely keeping up the fluids, even though it's 600 trips/day to the loo for me.
    Arielle

I have a bit of a silly question, but why is gatorade and the like such a good fluid to be having? I have very swollen ovaries after falling pg on a stimulated cycle, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I get aches on both sides, but mainly my right. I have had my scan and all is fine, other than whopping ovaries, but I'm curious?

Kel x

I had "O" type pain on the right side (same side I had O pain when I conceived this time) at around that time too. I was really worried but all is well with bubs.

Kenziesmum, it sounds like you may have a mild case of OHSS there. I've had it quite badly on my two stim cycles, so no transfers for me.

The thing with OHSS is that the ovaries tend to leak fluid into the abdomen, so dehydration is a real problem... Gatorade, powerade, etc are isotonic drinks which means they don't just replace the water, but they also replace the other salts and things that the body loses.

This time when I was admitted to hospital the only vein they could get for the drip at first was the one inside my elbow. 12 hours later, they still had trouble getting one in a more convenient location... And this was after 2 days of chugging down litres upon litres of nothing but gatorade.

It can be very hard to stay on top of it. I hope you stay well.

BW

Thank you for the reply BW. I drink a fair amount of water normally and my FS is not worried by the scan results, so if she is happy, so am I. She did say I would be uncomfortable for a few more weeks so I can handle that. Will keep it in check as we move along though.

Kel