Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 18-20week u/s,Slightly enlarged kidneys.. UPDATE PG3

mizzsocial Guest

Default 18-20week u/s,Slightly enlarged kidneys.. UPDATE PG3

Hey Ladies,

I had my ultrasound today, and everything looked just fine, except that the babies kidneys were slightly prominate.. And ill have to go back for another scan in the 3rd trimester..

Im really worried, i looked it up in Google (big mistake) and all these horrible things came up.. im really stressing..

Any know anything about this?

On a lighter note, i found out im having A BOY!!!!

And apparently this Renal Pelvis Dilation is more common in boys than girls..

Sometimes I wish the internet was never invented!!! we look things up and then we get all stressed about it.
    I hope that you can have your dr explain it fully to you. Good luck

Congrats on the little boy!!!!!!!

Hi Mizzsocial,

Congratulations on your little boy.

Please don't read anymore on this on the internet. Hopefully next time you have an hospital appt they will be able to tell you more.

When i was pg with Alexander nothing was picked up until i had an ultrasound at 36wks and i was told he had a problem with his kidneys and they will look in to it again once he is born. I was like you scared what was wrong.

When Alexander was born that had forgotten about his kidneys because we had other stuff with him to worry about. When he was 2 weeks old we went back for a kidney ultrasound to see what was going on and his kidneys where dilated once we spoke to the peaditritation (sp?) he was put on antibiotics to stop him getting a bladder infection. We then had to have to go for an x-ray and they put a tube in Alex's penis to see if he was blocked in anyway. That was all clear so after that it was just ultrasounds every 3 months when he went for his last one they where happy with everything he does still have a problem but they think that is how his kidneys will be. He is due to have another ultrasound at 12months.

Please try not to worry and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Shay also had this problem and like Alexander, they only picked it up on a 36 week ultrasound. They did a reflux test when he was 6 weeks old, which showed that his waste wasn't travelling back up to his kidney (good news) and he was on anti-biotics daily and given an ultrasound every 6 months until he was 4. His one kidney always developed a bit slower than the other, but he's now 14, strapping, healthy, very smart and not the least bit worse for wear.

I know we want our babies to not have anything wrong with them. We're mums after all. But I remember a pedeatric nurse saying to me when Shay was born that I shouldn't worry unless I got bad news. And honestly aside from 6 monthly visits to the hospital, not Shay's nor my life has been affected by this condition.

Good luck, my sweet.

love
    sushee

Hi mizzsocial

Try not to worry hon. You said that they were slightly enlarged. This problem could correct itself before birth

I am afraid I can't help you with your question, but I do just want to say, congratulations on finding out you are having boy.

AlissaMeow Guest

Sorry to hear about the kidney problem..

But im sure bub will be ok!!!! stop stressing girly! and no more reading on the internet ok! talk to your midwifes instead!!

I have been meaning to post something like this since my 20 week scan and did not know what to write. I have not googled and am now glad I haven't. I know some m/w and they have said that most right themselves by the 32 weeks scan which I have to have. If they have not improved most likely can be treatted wit a/biotics. I was very concerned at first but now I think this is the least of my worries. It is not serious. Hope you are feeling calmer soon.

Mizzsocial - congratulations on your little boy. Given the other comments here - Try not to worry too much (easier said than done I know), and thinking of you and [-o< that everything shows up fine at the third tri scan.

mizzsocial,

Don't know if this info is helpful but it sure was to me.

The renal pelvis is a part of the kidneys that collects urine as it is being produced, before transporting it down the ureters and into the bladder. When an ultrasonographer routinely checks an unborn baby's kidneys, they may notice that the width of the renal pelvis in one (or both) kidneys is more enlarged than expected. This is referred to as 'renal pelvis dilatation' (or RPD). It is believed that about 2% of women will be told that their unborn baby has some degree of RPD.

The dilemma of detecting any degree of renal pelvis dilatation is that in most cases (up to 84%) the baby does not have a health problem and the RPD generally rights itself by the time the baby is one year old, without being harmful to them or requiring any medical treatments. The reason for this is that some babies are genetically predisposed to taking longer to mature their urine collecting system.
    Is this Dilated Renal pelvis what you were diadnosed with?

Hope you are not stressing out too much. Have you seen you ob since the u/s. They can explain it a lot more.

mizzsocial Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rose
    mizzsocial,

Don't know if this info is helpful but it sure was to me.

The renal pelvis is a part of the kidneys that collects urine as it is being produced, before transporting it down the ureters and into the bladder. When an ultrasonographer routinely checks an unborn baby's kidneys, they may notice that the width of the renal pelvis in one (or both) kidneys is more enlarged than expected. This is referred to as 'renal pelvis dilatation' (or RPD). It is believed that about 2% of women will be told that their unborn baby has some degree of RPD.

The dilemma of detecting any degree of renal pelvis dilatation is that in most cases (up to 84%) the baby does not have a health problem and the RPD generally rights itself by the time the baby is one year old, without being harmful to them or requiring any medical treatments. The reason for this is that some babies are genetically predisposed to taking longer to mature their urine collecting system.
    Is this Dilated Renal pelvis what you were diadnosed with?

Hope you are not stressing out too much. Have you seen you ob since the u/s. They can explain it a lot more.
    Yes this is what i was told today!! thanks for the info!

Thanks to you other wonderful ladies sharing your experiences with this! its really helped me!

My SIL also had this problem with her little boy at her 20 week ultrasound, everything turned out fine he had an ultrasound done at 6 weeks to show that the problem had fixed itself
    Congrats on your little boy
    Bec

mizzsocial, How are things going with you? Are you going to have another u/s before delivery? I have a 34 week scan soon to see if the renal pelvis has corrected itself. I am not too worried. Can't wait to see the baby again though.

Hope all is well

Misssocial and Rose thanks for asking and answering the question as I too was told this yesterday with my baby... I won't worry anymore. I am having a 34 week US too, but that is ages away... Good luck with yours Rose... I just think it is a bonous to see the baby again.. My doctor was not too concerned as he said the bladder looked normal.

mizzsocial Guest

Rose I hope all goes well with your scan.. please keep me updated on the results..

I have to wait till im 32-34 weeks before i go back for an ultrasound..

jullyn06 Guest

hi, my first son had enlarged kidneys which was picked up at the 20 weeks ultrasound. we had two more scans during the pregnancy, and he went for a scan at 5 days old while we were leaving the hospital, and the problem was no longer evident at all. two more follow up scans got the all clear, so try not to worry (easier said than done i know) sometimes things sort themselves out without further intervention too. all the best, julie

Scan is on Tuesday so will know more re the kidneys.Hope you are doing ell emishka & mizzsocial. Shall keep you informed.

mizzsocial Guest

Rose, thanks for lettting us know.. ill be watching for an update tommorow ..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast