Thread: 20 week scan measurements, help please!

STEBIE Guest

Default 20 week scan measurements, help please!

Hi,

Just had my 20 week scan and got a telephone call from the doctor who performed my scan. Just waiting on my ob to get back to me but basically I have been told I need to go back and have another scan at 26 weeks.

He told me that they do a measurement of the baby's ventricles in the brain. The call it left ventricle and have a measurement in mm.

Mine was 9.8mm. Anything under 10mm is considered normal, however they want me to come back.

Has anyone else had this kind of measurement?

I'm freaking out here!

You poor thing. I have absolutely no idea about measurements but I'm sure if there was anything wrong they would have had you back in straight away. Maybe when your OB calls you could get him to explain EXACTLY what is going on so that you can understand and not worry unnecessarily for the next 6 weeks. Good luck and I'm sure you and your baby will be fine.
    Take care

I belong to another site where there is a thread for u/s ??? I shall post your query and see if she gets back to me :hugs:

STEBIE Guest

Thank you.

mizzsocial Guest

I didnt have the same experience as you, but at my scan i was told my measurments for the kidneys werent normal.. therefore i had to go back for furthur scanning.. so i do know how scared you must be right now.. but most of the time its nothing to worry about, they just want to be sure..

Keep us updated..

STEBIE Guest

Thanks for your replies.

I am going into the Royal Womens for a second opinion.

Just wish I knew more about it, reading on the internet is not good!

Spoke to ob but he like all doctors won't say good or bad, covering himself I suppose.

When i was pregnant with Kimberley i had to go back after having my 20 week scan as they couldn't get the right measurments for the heart.

I'm sure everything is okay with your bubs and they just want to check when he/she is a little bigger and they have a better view of it.

Stebie this is the response I got from my friend who is a u/s tech in America so take it easy

9.8mm is the upper limits of normal for the lateral ventricle. They probably just want to f/u and make sure it's not getting any larger. I wouldn't be too overly concerned but it doesn't hurt to double check.

STEBIE Guest

Thanks heaps for that.

My ob has booked me into the Royal Women's for a second opinion ultrasound on Monday.

I'm a worrier, now made worse with pregnancy hormones!!!

Definately worse with pregnancy hormones!! I'm a worrier too and these damn pregnancy hormones make it heaps worse, good luck for Monday!

STEBIE Guest

Thanks!