Thread: 2nd Trimester Weight Gain

Default 2nd Trimester Weight Gain

Hi Ladies,
    I've put on 4 and a half kilos in the last MONTH!!! Before that I had only put on 4 kilos in the whole pregnancy!!!
    I have read all over the internet that 1/2 a kilo a week is acceptable in the 2nd trimester... but I am eating quite well (although hungrier than usual so larger meals), but I'm worried because of how much weight I've put on so quickly...
    Have been to my GP to rule out pre-eclampsia (have swollen ankles - but tests came back ok)...
    Anyone else put on heaps of weight in the 2nd trimester???
    (i'm only 157cm - now weighing 69.5 kilos!!!)
    Thanks heaps!
    LJ

Thats sounds about normal Lily J. I put on most of my weight during the second trimester (probably because that is when my cravings for fatty and salty foods kicked in) but gained very little during both the first and last trimester so everything seemed to even out. Obs dont usually care too much about weight gain (some Ob's dont even weigh their patients) unless it is gained rapidly. The bottom line is, if your Ob doesnt seem concerned, dont worry about it. You will likely lose most if not all of it once bubs is born anyway. Try and exercise 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes if you can as this will prevent any unnecessary weight gain and will lift your spirits a little regarding your body image.

i put on 4 kilos between 17-21 weeks... and before that it was only 4 kilos since falling pregnant. i think its normal...hope i dont continue at this pace! hehe

I think that the worst thing you can possibly worry about during this time is putting on a couple of kilo's..this was the great advice from a friend of mine who cared more about the health of me and my baby rather than 'what is expected'. On the weekend I spoke to my Mum and my sister (who has two kiddies under 4) and I said "isn't it funny how you can put on weight but not be eating any differently" - they both said that I must be eating more than I was supposed too an that I better watch it and I felt shocking. So here is the advice I keep telling MYSELF!..Don't worry about it! Healthy weight gain is perfectly normal and makes for a healthy bubs.
    Oh yea, I have put on 4.5 kilos in the last 5 weeks - nothing before that...

So far I have only put on 4kg for the whole pregnancy....I'm more worried about not putting on enough!!! I was very sick for the first 4 months of pregnancy and had terrible morning sickness so that's probably why!!

Thanks so much Tonydayl, Cluckyliz, Kanda and Lisaqg...
    I feel SO much better!
    I got caught up reading a particularly strict pregnancy book and it says that women need to watch out for excessive weight gain because blah, blah, blah... (and trust me, it wasn't all health related!!!)
    Lisaqg... a friend of mine lost 8 kilos because of morning sickness and then steadily gained weight and had a really healthy pregnancy and baby (after the initial yucky bit of throwing everything up!!!)... hope you're feeling better and I'm sure your weight gain is right for you.
    Thanks again girls!
    I'm feeling like a little fat buddah but a much more relaxed one!
    Lily

It sounds like time to get a new book Lily J

All the best.

I agree...throw out the book

Yep, book is a little outdated I think - despite the "new and revised edition" sticker on the front of it!!!
    Thanks heaps girls!
    Lily