Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy of u/s gender

Question Accuracy of u/s gender

Hi Lovelies!

I am just wondering how certain your sonographer was when they told you the gender of your bubba. I had mine tonight and he was only 80% certain and got the result from measuring a particular bone. He then proceeded to tell me that although he believed the heart was fine it is not possible to pick up small holes or cleft palates. Is this normal??? I'm a little worried now....

Thanks!

MG

Thanks Jillian. He had to measure the bone because he couldn't see the genitals due to the umbilical cord being in the way.

MG

Hi, When we had a U/S done around week 25, we were told we were having a girl. The sonographer also pointed out the 3 lines to us. Anyway, we went on to have a beatiful Darling SON instead!!! Still, a very nice suprise in the end after all LOL!!

I'm not sure about them being able to pick up clef's or holes in the heart. I would ask a few Doc's to see if they know the answers to your questions. Come to think of it... I reckon Ryn might know? Hopefully she reads this thread and may be able to answer your questions.

Good luck

Just recently the sister of one of my friends had a baby with a severe cleft lip and palate - they were picked up at the 20 week scan, so presumably they can be detected that early. I'd say the sonographer was just covering all his bases.

BW

Ally, bless you for thinking I'm the font of all knowledge!

Cleft Lip is detected at the 20w scan, but as this is classed as a severe enough "deformity/disability" for a termination, some sonographers won't tell you about it. This is a completely treatable and fixable condition and the poor child who can be just 6-7w from birth and then terminated because it isn't "beautiful" enough for the parents! Yes, so that's the law in the UK and that's why you aren't always told about it.

Hole in the heart: actually, right up until the baby is born they have a small hole in the heart, so it's normal to have this and doesn't mean any treatment is required. I believe the hole closes up when the baby takes the first breath at birth, before then the lungs don't work so it's a way to ensure that the lungs get some oxygenated blood for their development. I could be wrong about this though, but that's what I've been told.

As for the bone - was it the ribs? Women have one more rib than men. But I've not heard of that being used as a way of determining gender on an ultrasound before.

That's what I presumed too BW but wanted to check with the lovely BB girls! Thanks hon.

Elly - yeah, I can check with the midwife at work but wanted some peace of mind! Tee hee - so impatient! Maybe I should trust the bone measurement then? It's just funny because EVERYONE (except my sister) told me I'm having a boy and then the sonographer says I'm 80% having a girl! Tee hee.

thanks fletch! DH actually suggested booking in for a 3D scan in about a month and finding out then. But I kind of wanted to be definitive NOW so I can buy clothes! Tee hee - so impatient aren't I?

Ryn! I knew you wouldnt let me down he he he!!! I am learning so much from you eh!

MG; Everyone "knew" I was having a boy too! However we didnt tell anyone that we found out the sex, lucky really LOL. Though we have since started telling everyone, cos we were so shocked about it, and its really quite funny. DH alway said that it was a boy, and he has been right with everyone so far, so I should have listened to him!!! Even after coming out of the U/S when we found out, DH said to me, Nup I still think boy!!!
    It would be pretty rare for them to get it wrong I would say. The only other person I know was a girl who i went to school with. They also told her that she was having a girl and she ended up with a boy too!!! Only she went to the trouble of painting out a pink room, wooops!!
    There's nothing wrong with being impatient LOL! I was the same too!! I cant see the harm in finding out the gender, and buying things accordingly. Just keep your reciepts just in case!!!!

Good luck and all the very best with everything.
    Last edited by EllyBoo72; September 22nd, 2006 at 09:37 PM. Reason: more to add!

Ryn - just saw your post. It was a rin in the pelvic region - I'm told that is how they can often tell between male and female. It is a very common measurement done in "post mortum" cases where the bodies are beyond recognition. There are varying degrees of holes in the heart but as a PACU nurse I am not adverse to surgery if it is needed and have cared for more than my share of children having surgery on the cleft. More just concerned about what the guy said and it's implications. I'm sure like BW said, he was just covering his bases.

MG

MG ~ If it makes you feel better I was told the same thing. The scans are great for picking up abnormalities etc but there are just some that cannot be detected and will be discovered at birth. I think they tell you this so if something does happen to go wrong you can't say 'but at the u/s...' iywkim.

Thanks Lea - that's what I thought too but wanted to get confirmation from the lovely BB girls!

Hi girls,
    As Ryn said, yes, there is a little hole in the heart,,,,well, it is actually a little tube that kinda bypasses the lungs etc.. When bubs has its first breath, the valve shuts and closes. This is called the Patent ductus arteriosis. I know all about this as when my first DS was born at 28 weeks, his didnt shut properly. At 15 months old, he was only an average 6 month old baby's weight, and hadnt put on an ounce in about 4 months.
    I had to go to the prince charles hospital in Brissie, and he had closed heart surgery on it 3 days after losing my DD. Now he is a lean, tall 10 year old full of energy.

MG
    How nice of your DH to suggest the 3D scan!! How sweet.
    My U/S scan which as you know i had on thurs, was a relatively quick one although the sonographer said there were no abnormalties. There is no cleft palate or anything.. and yes you do have a small hole in your heart untill your born, and it normally does close.
    I was unfortunate enough to have a VSD repair when i was 8 and i have made a full recovery.. Mind you they didnt pick it up on the u/s coz it was almost 26 years ago!!
    I think you should take up DH on his offer and get the 3D and then you will know for sure!
    Keep your receipts just in case!

Thanks Jen and Lil. There is a history of holes in the heart in my family (brother and sister. Sister has open heart surg at age 8 months). I think I will take DH up on it Jen. Thanks ladies!

Chantelle Guest

Hi My sonographer didnt even go between the legs before telling me what he thought he also didnt fully check the heart(didn't even get to hear the heart beat) I dont know if you can fully trust them till the babies born - my girlfriend was told all along it was a girl but joshua popped into the world

chelleg Guest

In my experiences probably 90% of women who found out what they were having had what they were told. I did look after one woman who told me she had 5 scans and was told she was having a girl each time and what do you know out popped a boy! She was so, so, so shocked. Had the nursery painted pink, pink clothes, pink everything!
    Like the other girls have said, the sonographers tend to add the "it's impossible to ensure the absence of abnormalities" spiel either verbally or on the report (usually always on the report) to protect themselves from litigation - kinda like how the MO's have to go through all of the risks of a procedure with a patient prior to them signing the consent form. All about litigation!!!

Ryn, i can't believe they perform TOP's for clefts in the UK :eek:

Tigergirl1980 Guest

We were told at our 24 week scan that we were having a boy, she pointed out the penis to us (not that we could tell what the hell we were looking at, lol) and she was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigergirl1980 View Post
    We were told at our 24 week scan that we were having a boy, she pointed out the penis to us (not that we could tell what the hell we were looking at, lol) and she was correct.
    LOL - DH said the same thing about not being able to make anything out! It's a little different for me with my training though.

Thanks for all your responses girls. I'm glad the general consensus is that he just added that little bit at the end to cover himself. PHEW!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast