Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accuracy of u/s gender

MG its so hard & confusing & I think the main thing with sonography is that it all depends on the level of the sonographer as well. With Matilda I went to see one of "the best" sonographer's in Brissy (my close friend works in sonography & got me in to see this person) and they refused to even guess at a gender because the "bits" weren't shown to us. After 90 minutes of scanning he just said "Nope, sorry..." so we were left guessing.

With this little one, at the 19 week scan the sonographer said she would guess at 80% that it is a girl, but would never be able to give a 100% guess unless she saw a penis definitively. At another scan later on, the sonographer said he couldn't as well but they were checking placental issues and not really focusing on that, but then partway through the scan he stopped & said "Those are her vaginal folds...pretty obvious now" and so we are more sure now...

I think with holes in the hearts & cleft palates they really have to cover themselves, jic. Because our society would blame them for not picking something up, its easier to just say "Nothing is positive" until the baby comes. ykwim? However stressful that is for us as parents to be, at least he didn't find something obvious during the scan. *hugs*

Thanks Christy - such calming words! I actually said to DH (and I might have mentioned it here too) that I can handle holes in the heart and cleft palates because I know they can be surgically fixed (as unplesant as it might be to endure for everyone involved) - it's just a piece of mind thing!

MG

A friend of mine had a little boy last year with a cleft palate & it wasn't picked up on the ultrasound, so it might be that one fletch....

Firstbump Guest

Talking

At our last U/S the sonographer said she was 80% certain it was a girl, but could not get the right angle to be certain. Now I am starting to think its best to remain on the neutral end of the spectrum until the baby arrives. I don't mind either way, but I am not sure that I want to paint the room pink if there is a one in 5 chance it should be blue. I guess the beauty in buying non gender specific clothes is that they can be used for the next bub

The midwife i saw at our hospital said that she has delivered about 13 bubs that came out different to what the parents thought - all came out boys and were all thought to be girls! DH wants to know the sex but i figure unless it can be 100% accurate, i'm still going to wonder. So we're keeping everything unisex until the birth. The only the other way is if little bubs obviously salutes us at the 19 weeks u/s and i can see it! It's hard though - i'm sure it will be harder on the day of the u/s, got ot be strong though!!

Mothergoose - it must be the thing for us girls due in mid to late feb - coz guess what! Our little munchkin hid her/his bits with the umbilical cord today during our 19w ultrasound.

Armed with the advice you got last week from your sonographer about the measurement of the bone - I boldly asked the sonographer if they could do that for us instead. The sonographer said she had never heard of any bone being able to determine the gender and that as far as she knew there is no difference in bone length between the sexes at 19w. She wasn't even prepared to make a guess.

So now I am really interested in this pelvic bone measurement thingy - so I'm going to see what I can find out. I'll certainly be having something to say to my obstetrician if the sonographer at the clinic he refers to isn't up with the technology!

Oh Kar!!!!!! Well - I have an appointment with the Ob next Thursday and am going to ask about it then - I will let you know what she says. When's your appointment? I'm also going to do some research - with all the texts I have at home one of them has to have something about it!!!!!!!!

Let me know how you go.

MG

My Ob appointment is next Tuesday. Definitely on my list of things to discuss.

Fruitwood Guest

Hi, I had my ultrasound at 18 weeks where they picked up a small hole in the heart but said that it was perfectly normal and that it would close up prior to the birth and predicted a 99.99% chance that we were having a little girl. In february I gave birth to a healthy baby girl, lol.

Thought I would update you guys - my Ob told me that she couldn't imagine the sonographer being like that. Pft. I didn't imagine it! But she said that it sounded like Friday afternoonitis. Rightio then! Anyway - on the bone measurement thing - she said she wouldn't be rushing out to buy anything pink! So Kar, I guess we have our answer!

Love MG

MG - what a bummer - that means both of us are in the dark then... I really have to wonder sometimes at people who just seem to not care what they are saying or just run off at the mouth. I think they like to hear the sound of their own voice or something....

I couldn't find anything at all in the medical literature talking about any bone or hip measurement showing a gender difference in ultrasounds either. I spent about 3 hours using every combination of words I could think of.

tee hee Fletch! I agree! And I am ripping my hair out! I WANT TO KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tee hee.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12