Thread: cottage and cream cheese

Default cottage and cream cheese

Hi all

another cheese question for you! Can I eat cream and cottage cheese while pregnant? I can never remember what I can and cant eat LOL!

TIA

Jem

Hi

Cream cheese and cottage cheese are regarded as safe as long as packaging is in tact.

Cheeses to avoid are:

Soft cheeses such as Brie, Camembert, ricotta, feta, goat, Limburger, Montrachet, Neufchatel, queso fresco and Pont-Leveque and semi-soft cheeses such as Asiago, Belle Paese, bleu, brick, Gorgonzola, Havarti, Muenster, Port-Salut, Roquefort and Taleggio.

Hope that helps your lunch!

Cheers Jacqui

Thanks heaps. My mum wanted to know as she is making me dinner!! YAY for mums.

Your welcome nothing like someone cooking for ya!! I have booked in to the mother-in-laws for dinner tomorrow night!!

HeHe!

Jacqui

pint Guest

My OB said that some soft cheeses are ok, as long as they are cooked ie oven heated. Just not to eat them cold.

Hi all,

What about cheese slices?

pint Guest

cheese slices - as long as it is paturised

So are kraft singles ok? Will it say paturised on the pkt?

pint Guest

Kraft singles are fine. If you are concern, give them a call. I do believe most dairy products are pasturised except those soft cheeses ie brie, camembert

sajemsha Guest

sounds like I can still have my philly chilli then..... yum yum

What about King Island products seeing as its one of the only places in the world they dont need to pasturise and they don't know why? Has anyone else heard about this? One of my friends mums said they only had King Island products during preg and never had a problem (how i miss my brie cheese soo tasty...)

There will probably be a heap of horrified gasps out there to my response. This PG I have been pretty much eating what I want, withing reason. I have still eaten soft cheeses, and cold meats as as long as they are pre-packaged so you know they haven't been sitting in the deli for days and days. I have still eaten maccas sundaes and had 1-2 coffees a day. I figure that I don't drink, I don't smoke, I excercise and take my vitamins, and I have never got any kind of poisoning from eating these things before, I could be putting a lot worse things into my body for my beautiful baby.

I think the general rule of eating what you want as long as you know it is fresh or cooked or cooled properly is pretty safe. (I still wouldn't touch raw meats or fish though) A little bit of soft cheese here and there isn't going to hurt anything. If you have a craving, then have a little piece and that might hold you over for the rest of PG!

pint Guest

Quote Originally Posted by min View Post
    There will probably be a heap of horrified gasps out there to my response.
    I do agree with what you have said. Fresh and cooked
    When my sister was Pg three times, she ate anything and everything. She does live overseas and some foods on the "forbidden list" mighn't have been available to her. She hated sushi and sashimi so I know she never ate that. She also wore nail polish all the time (changed color each week) too and there are sites that advise against it.
    She was surprised the amount of food I couldn't eat.

An OB did say to me it was ok to eat raw fish if I knew that the restaurant provided fresh food.

I not sure about King Island products - and I used to work for the company (ummm can taste their brie and cambert now LOL).

But I am happy to have my tasty cheese ummm..surprise bay chedder from King Island - sorry just drooling over here.