Thread: Extremely Itchy Legs!!!

Default Extremely Itchy Legs!!!

Hi All,

Another question for you.

I have EXTREMELY itchy legs and have ever since I conceived basically. It has gotten so bad that I have scratched my legs to ribbons on occasion and now they are covered in healing scratches.

I have tried different creams and remedies and it is driving me absolutely bonkers!!!

What I want to know is: Is this normal and what the heck can I do about it?

Desperately itchy............

I had the itchess during my pregnancy aswell and boy was it a PITA. It is sometimes normal, in my case it was and i found the best thing was warm baths (not too hot) with oatmeal and sorbolene moisturising cream.

But this itching could also be PUPPS (Pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy) It is harmless to mum and bub but very annoying, is it just your legs? and do you have any rashes?

Not to scare you but there is also a condition called Obstetric Cholestasis which is a serious liver problem, that itching can be a sign of, The itchyness is usually widespread including hands and feet and may be accompanied with nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, fatigue, pale coloured stools and jaundice. A blood test would be done and if you had it may be given medication, and may need to deliver bubs a little early. Do see you GP if you are worried.

Some other thins you could use to relieve it=
    A bi-carb Bath
    Calendula Cream (health food stores)
    Pinetarsol
    PawPaw Ointment
    Dandelion Root Capsules (health food stores)
    Try using sorbolene cream instead of soap too.

There is also a product called Pregnancy Rash and Acne Relief by Kopec Naturals which you can get online. I have only just heard about this.

Also if its interrupting your sleep try a cold face washer with a little lavender oil. You could also soak your feet in warm water with a little lavender oil and pop some socks on to sleep in and try a warmed mug of milk with honey before bed.

They also say the more you scratch the itchier it gets, but i know from personal experience it didnt stop me If its just the normal pregnancy itch it will resolve its self once bubs is born. Unfortunately theres not much you can do about it till then.

Sorry if i have bomarded you with too much or scared you in any way. I sympathise with you i really do and i hope this helps in some way and can give you a bit of relief

Thanks TOJ,

No, I don't have any rashes. I think its just the normal pregnancy itchies! I know all about Cholestasis of pregnancy, I work in a NNU and see a lot of new mums who suffer(ed) from it.

Pity my job doesn't let me understand my own body any better!

Thanks for all of your info, I will attempt some of them when next I get an attack!!
    I'm currently sitting here at work scratching away, so there is not much I can do about it at this present point in time!