Thread: Have i eaten something bad?

Default Have i eaten something bad?

I just had a few mouthfulls of salmon quiche which was from yesterday that i was never told - have i just put my babys life at risk?

honey I don't know for sure but I doubt that a few mouthfuls would do much damage, don't be too hard on yourself, you are trying your best I am sure all is fine

Thanks Blizz - im just soo angry i wasnt told until too late - i dont want to get so far and have something happen over a few mouthfulls! im prob just being silly - but everyone at work is worrying me about it!

was it cold? would be ok if its hot?

Don't stress- I actually ate supermarket BBQ chook the whole way through my pregnancy before finding out- two weeks before I was due- that you shouldn't...

Oh great i have been eating supermarket BBQ chook too! didnt know u werent meant too!
    the Quiche was warm - i did try and reheat it but it didnt heat all the way thru!

Sorry!! I think you'll be fine... please don't stress and worry unless you start to feel sick (that probably doesn't help you either, if you're anyhthing like I was and just felt pregnant sick all the time!!) Maybe i should keep my mouth shut here!

HJ,

A friend of mine is a GP and - I kid you not - throughout both of her pgs, she ate sushi & soft cheese & whatever else she fancied really. I think that it's really important to be aware of the whole listeria thing, but to not get yourself too worked up, because the chances of actually catching it are reasonably slim. Whilst I'm not advocating my friend's approach if the quiche was kept in the fridge overnight it's probably going to be fine, I wouldn't stress too much about it.

Hahaha LoriRea - its okay i always worry about anything and everything! which is prob worse than eating the quiche!

I doubt a couple of mouthfuls will cause too much damage.

Also there is nothing wrong with eating the chickens you buy from the supermarkets.These chickens are only cooked once and the warmers are kept at above 60 degrees which is too hot for most bacteria to grow in.

If you do have concerns when you get them home simply remove them from their bag, cover them with foil and heat in the oven until their core temperature reaches 70-90 degrees.

I personally have always done this even prior to pregnancy and have never ever been sick, nor have I ever been told to stay away from this type of chicken.

I do not eat cold chicken though so anything that is left over DH eats or we give it to the dogs. My dr has advised me to steer clear of the cold chicken you know the ones like you get in sandwiches over the counter. As you do not know if it has been correctly stored and Listeria can grow and thrive in the cold.

relax I am sure you have done no damage to bubbie

I think you will be fine as well. Just remember when you do reheat something that it is piping hot, lukewarm and you are likely to get sick. Listeria is rare, but seen an article the other day saying it had increased slightly, maybe people are getting too relaxed????

I dont' know anyone who hasn't eaten something they weren't meant to, and so far all is good. I didnt' realise Salmon was a problem. Was it tinned? If it was smoked salmon, don't worry, my friend ate that on accident too!! think about how many women don't know theyre pregnant until after 6 weeks, and what they've eaten (that was me with DD1). You'll be fine, always something to worry about though, during pregnancy!! xoxo

Thanks Everyone for your advice - so far all seems to be okay!!! looks like ive worried over nothing!

I spoke to my Ob about the food's you can't eat thing, because i was worried about feta and ricotta . He said in 28 years of practice he has only seen one case of listeria in a lady that avioded everything pedople say you should. I would'nt worry too much.