Thread: High Cholesterol

Default High Cholesterol

Hi girls, have just been to the GP where i had some routine bloods done last week. My cholesterol is through the roof!!! OOPS!! Any ideas on what to do? I am usually very fit but have only just increased the exercise over the last week, and i eat ok. Not great but ok!!! Does anyone know if cholesterol is generally higher when you're preggers??? Have read that it can bring on premature labour. AHHH.
    Thanks
    Mel

Hi Mel - do you have a history of high chol? I do (genetic) and usually take medication which I stop while pregnant and bf. I've alwyas been told that pregnancy actually lowers your cholesterol, so you may need to talk to your doc about options. If it's really high (it's the ratio between you hdl and ldl that you need to watch) then you may need medication. Apparently there's a new drug out which is pretty safe but I can't remember the name, sorry.

Hi Dee, i dont think i have ever had my chol checked. The GP said he would keep an eye on and check it when im not pregnant but i will def bring it up when i go to the hospital- in 2 more weeks. The total chol is 6.1 mmols and supposed to be 3.9-5.5. And the Calc LDL is 3.7 mmols and supposed to be 1.7-3.5 but doc said ideally should be less than 2.5.
    Dee do you have to have your chol checked during your pregnancy?? Do you know if affects the baby?? Gp didnt seem to think so.
    Ta, Mel

Mine was 7.4 total just before ttc! I'd been off my med for a couple of months. I haven't had it checked tis pregnancy, but I did last time and it did go down but I can't remember how low. I don't think there is an immediate risk to the baby, but if it is too high maybe it can become a blood pressure risk? I did get pre-eclampsia last time but there's not really any way of knowing if it's connected. My ob has me on very low-dose aspirin atm to try and stop that happening again. Is your bp normal? Mine was normal until I went into labor then it skyrocketed.

Your levels aren't hugely high, so I wouldn't stress. just eat healthy, avoid saturated fats (low-fat dairy and try to avoid cheese, butter, chips etc.) and chat to your carer when you see them. Porridge or oats are really good for helping keep it down - I have porridge in winter, but now I'm having the new Oat-Bix? (oat version of vita brits) for brekky.

Good luck!