Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little worried about today's kick chart...

Default A little worried about today's kick chart...

So, my daily kick chart has three sections: morning, afternoon and evening. In each one, I count to 20, then just chart it as >20.
    Today in the afternoon, I only got as far as 9, and 5 of those were very late. It's the only time I haven't made it to 20, and I'm a teeny bit freaked out by it.

On the up side, I'd reached 20 before I even got out of bed this morning, so I kept counting, and went past 40. It was a really active morning.

Am I being waaaaaaaay too paranoid? Or is this founded worry?

Try some ice ice water hun and sitting with your feet up. That usually gets them wriggling.

If you're really worried you can talk to a midwife.

But I usually found sometimes active mornings meant quiet afternoons.

I totally understand, Snuggly, I went up a few times for a trace. With both!

I thought it was a total of ten for the day as a minimum? Alan will know

Huni you know better than anyone if something doesn't feel right and needs to be checked.

In saying that 24 weeks is rather early to be able to get a reliable kick chart. I usually start mine around 28 weeks. It could be something as simple as bub has moved position.

As I said though you are the expert when it comes to your body and your bub so if your worried, listen to that instinct.

HTH
    Spring x

Yeah, I was going to say the same as Spring, might be a bit early still. Nonetheless, that's a fair number of kicks.
    But get things checked out if you feel the need

Quote Originally Posted by muminalice View Post
    I thought it was a total of ten for the day as a minimum? Alan will know
    20 in each of three sessions seemed to be the average for what's going on in there, so figured that it was the best way to show any deviation.

Anyway, you can call me the Overreactor. I've had 20 kicks since I posted I think maybe the bambino was just a little tuckered out after the epic aerobics session this morning.

Glad to hear Snuggly. I remember doing that a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Audax View Post
    20 in each of three sessions seemed to be the average for what's going on in there, so figured that it was the best way to show any deviation.

Anyway, you can call me the Overreactor. I've had 20 kicks since I posted I think maybe the bambino was just a little tuckered out after the epic aerobics session this morning.
    It's not overeacting, as the others have said, you know your baby best, and I apologise if I made you feel that way. Reading it back, it probably sounded very abrupt.

Nah, mate, no worries. There are so many different ways out there to do it, so we sort of decided to pick our own way to give it a go.

May need to adjust as time goes on, which is why I've started so early, to get used to the whole thing. We're having an evening zumba session in there now, so I feel particularly dumb for having worried.

Hi Audax

I think your way of doing a kick chart could cause you more worries than anything else. Your baby will have periods of activity and periods of sleep. If your baby is sleeping for most of one of the 3 sections on your chart you could become a little concerned. (As you already know). Normally we would recommend 10 movements in a 24 hour period. If you wish to continue with your current chart I would recommend that you look at it over a 24 hour period and not as an 8 hour chart.

Thanks Alan. That's becoming pretty clear now as I look at it.

But it was so neat and even and pretty before!

Dam!!! I never even thought about making it even and pretty

What an idiot I am

Wow i had never heard of a kick chart, my DD's would kick but never that much, you lucky girl... although it will eventually get annoying

Is there a reason why you are on a kick chart? My baby is not super active and had a couple of days recently of low movement. Finally on the evening of the second night I decided I would contact my midwife in the morning as I couldn't recall ANY movement in the past 48 hours but baby finally did somebig rolls when I woke up. They need to go through periods of rest and sleep too
    Glad bambino is active again!

wow 20 kicks at each sitting? my bubs would never make your grade! im lucky to get 20 a day now!

We never did a kick chart either?? I do remember now & then counting kicks.. but I never knew what to count LOL. If I felt a foot then an elbow.. was that counted as 2? I just tried to be aware of movement in general throughout the day. If I felt things were a little quiet I'd have a cold drink or something to get em moving a bit.

But I'm a bit hopeless at counting stuff like that. I could never count the number of feeds we did a day either LOL. I always fudged the chart they made me do at the hospital haha.

My OB said basically what Alan said - just pay attention to movement during a 24 hour period...as babies have periods of rest and awake and they aren't on any set schedule. But he did say that if you get concerned because movement seemed to have lessened a great deal during a 24 hour period, call and they will check you out.

Default A little worried about today's kick chart...

Are you keeping this kick chart for you, or has an ob told you to do it that way? Like everyone else said, it usually is 10 per day.

That said, you know your baby best. If you've come to expect 20 in a few hours, then you'll keep expecting that. I suppose I'll be the same if I have an active bubba - any less than the usual movement and I'll freak out! With ianto, I wouldn't get scared if I hadn't felt much movement in one day - he wasn't much of a mover, and never hit ten a day.

Maybe try to find a medium between the "10 per day" norm and your "20 in a few hours" one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast