Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My turn to panic about lack of movement........

Unhappy My turn to panic about lack of movement........

Usually I pop in and reassure people with lack of movement until later in pregnancy because with Izzy I really only started getting feeling at 21 weeks. This cheeky little man is giving me a few kicks in the morning and a few at night and they are pretty subtle but that's it! He then buggers off to some padded place in utero where it's much nicer obviously and that means no reassuring kicks for mum!

I'm 23 weeks today and just want some reassurance from others who had babies that didn't kick much until later or at all.

From about 26 weeks I was booted fair and square all day every day with Izzy so I think I will find it odd not to get much from this little guy if he is a quiet one. It's also hard knowing that I have no more scans up my sleeve to look forward to for some reassurance. Ah the joys.

you can always go in and get his heart rate checked at the hospital, without a doubt they normally wriggle and carry on then, at least it may put your mind at ease.

Hi Tanstar,
    Don't panic, with my first three I didn't feel any movement at all until after 24wks and even then it wasn't much movement, but as Tan said you can go to the hospital and they can monitor bubs for movement.
    Regards,
    Dianne

Tan, I didn't go through it personally, my boys were, and still are, constant movers. But I do know of many people who didn't feel much and everything was fine. It doesn't only depend on the baby's movement but also the position of the placenta. I am sure everything is fine, but please go and get a check if it will make you feel better. Big hugs hun.

Tanstar - awwww hun - my little man worries me too - I don't think I feel much and try to reassure myself cos of anterior placenta and the big boots are coming in the next couple of weeks.

But, last time you didn't have Izzy too - I swear that is why I probably don't notice movement as much already running around after my two. The other day I took 3 hours couch time for a rest - and I felt heaps - kids were at school/care so no distractions - made me feel better.

If you can, try and find 30 minutes of you time to just pop your hands on your belly having a lay down sometime during the day - he will give you some signs

Of course same advice as others, if you get really worried, just go to your midwife or GP if they have a doppler for some quick reassurance.

I feel huge already for not feeling much movement - and from wht I have read of yor posts, you feel the same

Tan, I worried a little earlier on in my pg too. I didn't notice my little man moving nearly as much as his sister did and it is all in my pelvis, even now when he has turned and is the 'right' possie. I think some of it has to do with the fact that we don't have the time to take as much notice of bubs moving cause we are running after toddlers. I noticed and noted just about every movement with DD.
    This time, I just don't really get much of a chance to sit and marvel at the miracle it is! The past few weeks though I have had some beautys right in the cervix and hip bones...reassureing but not very pleasant . I also think my placenta might be up the top of my uterus, kind of under my ribs because I don't really feel any movement there unless bubs is doing acrobatics or palying soccer or something inside me!
    Try not to worry, I think it's only after you don't feel any movement at all for a significant amount of time, like over a day, that you need to worry. But as the other girls have said, go to the dr to have a listen of bubs hb if you need to, it's better than worryig your pants off for days.

Tan, my DD didn't move much at all in utero. The whole pregnancy infact! I was often concerned i hadn't felt much for a whole day. I would really have to work at getting a kick or two out of her! She did move and kick, but no where near as much as my preg friends.
    When she came out she was the most laid back cruisy bub, so i think that she was just chilling out on the inside! (How things have changed, now there is no stoppping her, she's 8 months and wobbling along behind a push trolley thing!)

He's probably just going to be a cruisey laid back lad.

smiles4u Guest

Wink

I felt movement quite later on too about 24weeks & yeh, subtle too

... After then I only felt my bub really just make rolling/turning movements here & there BUT at night time between 11pm to 11.15pm my bub was like clockwork & would start kicking me on & off for about 30mins

Yeh, she is now 2 years old & is a night owl like her folks ... She would stay up all night if she could (OMG, but of course we don't let her)

Tan - if it makes you feel any better, I noticed a massive difference with movement between DD and DS. DS was much, much quieter inutero than DD. Even my own Dad noticed it (he and mum spent the whole week leading up to the birth with me both times) and that freaked me out a little towards the end. He told me after DS was born, that that's how he knew it was a boy this time (we didn't know the sex)

Funny thing is, if I wasn't so concerned about his lack of movement during early labour, I would never have gone to the hospital and probably would have ended up delivering him at home!! I had a really, really long labour with DD so was in total denial that things were really moving with DS. The only reason I went to the delivery suite was because I was freaking out that he hadn't moved at all for about 3 hours - DD squirmed around the WHOLE time I was in labour.

I've heard that generally, girls are more active than boys, but that could just be another old wives tale...

Like I always say, it's worth getting checked out, even if it's just for peace of mind

Also, something I just thought of: do you have an anterior placenta? That makes a huge difference to movements too. I had one with DS. It wasn't so much that he wasn't moving, it was just that it was cushioned by the placenta and I couldn't feel it. Was weird seeing him moving around on u/sound but not being able to feel a thing!
    Last edited by Willow; June 7th, 2008 at 08:24 PM.

with my first two i only every felt light movment all the way threw till they were born so it is normal not to always have huge kicks etc, any movment is a movement

I know how you feel, i've been feeling little kicks or movement since 16 weeks. Last week though i hadn't felt him moving all day so i drank a cold glass of water which gets them going a little, got a little movement, i also get him to move by putting a heat pack on my back (must know im talking bout him cause hes moving round now. lol) or i have a homedics massger that vibrates and my daughter put that on my tummy and that got him going too. Moves most when im relaxing and still, hope that helps a little.

Tanstar, that's been my experience too - you may have been among the lovely mums who popped in to reassure me when I posted about lack of movement, lol. Anyway, getting close to 26 weeks and still have quiet times and the active times are more tickly than anything. As this is my first to get this far, I don't really have a reference point except for others' experiences. So I am always relieved to hear of other quiet bubs so I don't fixate on why mine isn't booting me like a kung fu fighter yet! When I start to worry, I resort to cold hands on the belly, drinking chilled water, juice or milk, eating ice-cream or a bit of chocolate (okay, a largish amount of chocolate ) and if that doesn't work, I get out the doppler that I hired when I was 13 weeks to relieve my overwrought mind!
    Hope you've had a reassuring wriggle since you've posted. And, like everyone says, if more than 24 hours has passed, then see if you can get to either the maternity ward at your hospital or to your GP/Ob to have things checked.
    Sending you lots of *movement vibes* for your and
    xoxox

Sometimes that just happens. Try not to stress about it.

Try lying for a while on your left side. You are very likely to feel movement within an hour. If not get a really icy cold drink like a slurpee and drink it then light down on your left side again. It has worked for me every time I've been concerned. Icy water can work too but I think it's the comibination of the sweetness and cold that gets bubs moving.

Another trick is to get someone to blow a raspberry on your tummy - this can wake bubs up but you don't want to do it too often, just when you are really concerned.

I always find that chocolate makes bubs go nuts too so you could try that, as does a cup of coffee (I've only just been game to start drinking coffee again now though and I only drink one or two of the instant type per day).

I remember being quite concerned at times but there was never an issue. Sometimes bubs just goes a bit quiet for a while.

Thanks so much for the reassurance ladies. I just can't believe how different it is and I loved being booted by Izzy so will be a bit sad if this little one decides to just chill out! After a whole day and night of stressing he finally decided to say hi again this morning and even DH felt his first little flutter so I just hope it keeps increasing so I don't have days like yesterday where I spend all day worrying and wondering whether to call the hospital.
    I have my next check up on the 16th so am looking forward to hearing this little guys hb again! Thanks again so much gorgeous girls.

:woot:
    Glad your bub has decided to give you a good morning hello and how exciting for your DH!
    Hope your days and nights are full of wriggles and bumps!
    xoxox

That's great news

I do have a quick query - Satya - you mentioned a slurpee - do you mean like the sugary ones you buy at 7/11's, Macca's, Donut king - that type of thing??? I thought they would be a no-no same as soft serve for the same reason - can't trust hygiene of the machines?? If I am wrong everyone please tell me now cos I have been eyeing them off and really wanting one but too scared with listeria etc ....

Sorry for hijacking Tanstar

No worries Sami- I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the problem with the soft serve ones was because of the dairy and bacteria associated with it??? I had slurpees all the time with Izzy especially on those 40 degree days when I was big and hot.... Interesting one though, hopefully someone who knows for sure will pop in and let you know!

Lol. I don't even drink slurpees but I still googled slurpees and listeria and found nothing - Tan, you're right, it's the dairy and bacteria mix that's the problem. So steer away from the Mr Whippy icecream vans but drink all the crushed ice, brain freeze drinks you like, Sami!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast