Thread: Old Wives Tale?

Default Old Wives Tale?

I got a frantic call from my mum the other day, telling me that a friend of hers said that I shouldn't be eating ginger as it can cause miscariage.
    Everything I've read says You SHOULD take ginger if you suffer m/s.
    Has anyone else heard this? Is it just one of those things where you say"Yes Mum" and then ignore it?
    I love ginger and would hate to cut it out of my diet.

Lisa

hmmmm they wouldnt make the m/s tabs out of ginger and the doc wouldnt recommend it if u couldnt have it. just say yes to her and dont have it around her lol.

Everything I have read says ginger is the best for morning sickness, but I have also heard that ginger is used to bring on menstruation and miscarriage/abortion but only if you take about 20grams of it... I found this on a website...

It turns out that it takes less than 1 gram of ginger to control the nausea of morning sickness, while the Chinese, who use the herb to bring on menstruation (and possibly abortion) use 20 to 28 grams for this purpose.
    Very roughly, a strong cup of ginger tea might contain about 250 milligrams of the herb, which is about 1/80 of the amount necessary to trigger miscarriage. A heavily spiced Chinese dish might contain 500 milligrams--1/40 of the miscarriage dose--and an eight-ounce glass of ginger ale could contain 1,000 milligrams--1/20 of the menstruation-triggering dose. You'd have to gag down a heck of a lot of ginger before you'd have to be concerned about any kind of problems.
    I think you'll be fine unless you are eating ginger by the bowlful!

Thanks Girls!
    Thats what I thought, But I thought I'd better check, just incase I was wrong.
    You never know!

I think I will have that bowl of chinese now!

Lisa

I like the bit about gagging it down........... and a lot of it.

I'm pretty sure you'll be right. I'd go the opposite way to sassy's suggestion - I'd ONLY eat it when she was around. I think I'm finding myself in a rather vindictive mood today.

Get used to the nay sayers - they'll come at you thick and fast, especially after the baby is born. Just when you think it couldn't get any worse.................

I've got another one, my MIL is chinese and she has made me promise not to eat watermelon, banana or lamb. I have absolutely no idea why, she cant seem to explain it in english and DH's cantonese isnt good enough either.
    Has anyone else heard about these?

Thats all new to me!
    No Idea!
    Lisa

Hmmmm..... well I've foudna chinese website which MAY be what your MIL is talking about...
    As for food regiments, women are advised not to eat "cold food" such as mung beans, bean sprout, banana or watermelon during the first trimester to reduce a risk of miscarriage.
    And everything else I have found about watermelon and banana suggest the only reason you aren't allowed to eat it is because it is considered 'cold', which I think (what i have read) means it is watery and is meant to have a 'cooling' effect on the digestive system...... But then another site says that 'cold' food disrupts development of the babies skeletal system.... and then on another is says it will cause odema...

Some people say lamb causes epilepsy ...

TBH I'm not convinced you shouldn't eat watermelon and bananas... I have heard they are great for pregnancy, especially bananas!!! And I really can't see HOW lamb would do that...?

Some other ones include...

Pineapple causes misacrriage (I have heard this though..?)

Talking about how beautiful a baby is may cause the gods to take the baby away.

Korean women may avoid certain foods because they are thought to cause the baby to have similar physical characteristics. These include some types of fish, crab, chicken, et

Mothers may be resistant to early breastfeeding, believing that colostrum is “bad milk.” For this reason, the mother may insist on bottle-feeding the infant until her real milk comes in. Should be provided with privacy while breastfeeding.

Tying a knot in the cord of the girl’s placenta will lead to the next child being a son.

Vietnamese parents are generally very permissive with children relating to the feeding practices, toileting and sex play. Mothers may masturbate male children during the first five years of life to assure optimal sexual performance during adult years. Female infants’ genitals may be fondled as a way of comforting a fussy infant.
    Of course, I don't know how true these are... but an interesting read I suppose...